Best practices for Noobs

Ajay Talati

Mar 26, 2015, 4:36:55 PM3/26/15
to tor...@googlegroups.com

So I'm still new to Lua and Torch, and make some really dumb mistakes - mainly forgetting to use local, and not understanding torch.pointer in the base code. It's basically wasted me a week in debugging time :(

Can anyone give me some advice on how best to write functions, and test them using while using TREPL?

For example say I'm writing a feval function that goes in a SGD loop, i.e. its called by optim.SGD, inside a training loop. I put this function I'm writing in a separate file, and then copy and paste lines into TREPL as I'm developing it to make sure they're doing what I expect.

Its a big function - so it there a best practice regarding having to add local in front lots of statements, when I go from developing this function. to simply wanting to call it from my main script?

Hope this makes sense?

Thanks