Update on organization

Jared Starkey

May 14, 2014, 11:34:55 AM5/14/14
to topeka-ha...@googlegroups.com
OK folks - here's a written update on progress on the Bureaucratic Front.

#1 - The Mayor of Topeka has made the makerspace one of his top 5 priorities for 2014. This is a big F-ing deal, as the mayor generally provides a lot policy direction and political influence in the city. This could help us overcome challenges we may run into in the future.

#2 - We've received a bid for space rennovation at 712 Kansas Ave, and suffice it to say I'm going to be doing a lot of scrutinizing. The quote was astronomical in terms of our budget. The powers-that-be may simply respond that instead of lowering expectations, we must simply do more fund-raising. Sometimes projects like this find checks really easily.

#3 - I've been asked to work with a small group of elected officials and taxing entities in the county to promote awareness of the makerspace and generally answer questions about our approach to the concept.

#4 - A business plan meeting was held and the plan I reviewed is still out there. It needs some major revisions, however I don't have a copy I can edit in digital form. Once that arrives I'll be making some edits and sharing that direction with everyone.

jaffar abu nasser

May 14, 2014, 6:58:37 PM5/14/14
to topeka-ha...@googlegroups.com
Fun and games!

transcendtient

May 14, 2014, 10:34:02 PM5/14/14
to topeka-ha...@googlegroups.com
If I had tools I'd probably be making and selling something already. I have access to a bunch of printers so I currently print alot of stuff. I'm off this summer so I'm going to do as much as I can for the project and the group.