Project Idea

Charles Steinkuehler

May 1, 2014, 9:30:02 AM5/1/14
to topeka-ha...@googlegroups.com
For the window space:

Mashup the glass marker robot with line-drawing art software like:

http://hackaday.com/2014/04/28/robotartist-draws-what-it-sees/

...draw what's in front of the window then erase it and redraw. It
should be pretty good at drawing people in (pun intended) to make crazy
faces or body positions (depends on the camera perspective).

Or grab three of your friends and make YMCA (or the 4-letter word of
your choice).

--
Charles

James Michael Dupont

May 2, 2014, 7:23:59 PM5/2/14

On Thursday, May 1, 2014 8:30:02 AM UTC-5, Charles Steinkuehler wrote:
For the window space:

Mashup the glass marker robot with line-drawing art software like:

transcendtient

May 5, 2014, 2:25:17 AM5/5/14
Looks complicated, but it does hold attention for a long time. I think it would have a lasting "wow" that the clock wouldn't.
We were talking about the detection for the clock at one point though. The clock would just be a set of hardcoded movements, translating user input into drawing would be easy, doing the video snapshot and filtering needed to make a drawing is another. I could probably draw out the skeletons on the Kinect easily enough, but I don't know video.

Jared Starkey

May 5, 2014, 4:50:36 PM5/5/14
to topeka-ha...@googlegroups.com
OpenCV makes face detection super simple from a live video feed. It would be borderline trivial to write the face to a BMP file.

On Monday, May 5, 2014 1:22:04 AM UTC-5, transcendtient wrote:
Looks complicated, but it does hold attention for a long time. I think it would have a lasting "wow" that the clock wouldn't.
We were talking about the detection for the clock at one point though. The clock would just be a set of hardcoded movements, translating user input into drawing would be easy, doing the video snapshot and filtering needed to make a drawing is another. I could probably draw out the skeletons on the Kinect easily enough, but I don't know video.

Mike Dupont

May 5, 2014, 5:23:14 PM5/5/14
to topeka-hackerspace

On Mon, May 5, 2014 at 3:50 PM, Jared Starkey <j...@lampllc.com> wrote:
OpenCV makes face detection super simple from a live video feed. It would be borderline trivial to write the face to a BMP file.

i have been doing work on opencv code for stalinizer on github... yes it is very simple and I have done this.

--
James Michael DuPont
Member of Free Libre Open Source Software Kosova http://www.flossk.org

Mike Dupont

May 5, 2014, 9:27:44 PM5/5/14
to transcendtient, topeka-hackerspace

On Mon, May 5, 2014 at 8:03 PM, transcendtient <transce...@gmail.com> wrote:
So... if people could take a drawing the robot did of them I think they'd probably shit.

Charles Steinkuehler

May 7, 2014, 1:09:12 AM5/7/14
to topeka-ha...@googlegroups.com, jamesmi...@googlemail.com
Well, that's the idea for the Maker Faire, and it will (hopefully) use a
bunch of stuff we're already setting up for the window display.

With any luck, I'll have a Comet CNC mill by then I can use to draw
pictures on a roll of butcher paper. It's maybe not as sexy as a big
delta or SCARA 'bot, but I think giving away line-art images folks can
take home would be a huge attraction and not cost us much $$$.

On 5/5/2014 8:03 PM, transcendtient wrote:
> So... if people could take a drawing the robot did of them I think they'd
> probably shit.
>
> On Monday, May 5, 2014 4:23:14 PM UTC-5, Mike Dupont wrote:
>>

>> On Mon, May 5, 2014 at 3:50 PM, Jared Starkey <j...@lampllc.com<javascript:>

Haskell McRavin

May 7, 2014, 1:14:09 AM5/7/14
to topeka-ha...@googlegroups.com
I've retrofitted the prusa to do drawings before (used a marker). You
need an image to turn into a model. I could just take the hot end off
(it needs to be rewired anyway) and it'd be done.

Haskell