imported classes not showing up in classes list

Jack Hodges

Apr 25, 2018, 8:06:56 PM4/25/18
to TopBraid Suite Users
Yesterday I encountered the most unexpected and undesired condition. I have 2 ontologies that are the basis of a third, bridge ontology. If I load these two ontologies into TBC they load fine. If I import them into my bridge ontology and load it, the bridge classes (etc) show up in the classes browser, along with the classes of one of the imports, but the classes of the other import do not show up. If I do a search in the classes search area they show up in the search selection dialog, but if I select one nothing happens in the classes list (whereas normally it will open the tree view to the selected class - as you know). There are no issues with the imports tab; everything is importing just fine.

This is only happening with a specific ontology that I imported from XML using TBC.

Has anyone encountered this kind of behavior in TBC, ever? Any pointers would be most appreciated.

Jack Hodges, Siemens

Holger Knublauch

Apr 25, 2018, 8:14:00 PM4/25/18
to topbrai...@googlegroups.com
It's probably crashing in the middle of the selection operation, for yet to be determined reasons. Do you see anything in the Error Log? Is there any chance you can send me a copy of the file(s) in question off-list?

Holger

Jack Hodges

Jun 6, 2018, 7:23:27 PM6/6/18
to TopBraid Suite Users
I dropped this problem for a while while I worked on other things but it is very frustrating. I checked all of my imports and they are fine (well of course they are or I couldn't search on and find the classes). I checked my namespace prefixes because that can affect what shows up in the Classes view but they are all fine also. Then I thought "maybe there is a numeric limit of how many classes can be shown in the Classes view" but I couldn't find anything like that in the Classes portion of the Preferences. So it is a mystery. I have attached a screen shot of the problem. The screen shot doesn't show the imports or prefixes but they are ok. Oh, I labeled the figure as being from v5.4 but it is all of the versions I have been using lately, including v5.5.

Jack
Classes_Not_showing_Up_In_Classes_View_TBCME_5.4.png

Holger Knublauch

Jun 6, 2018, 7:55:59 PM6/6/18
to topbrai...@googlegroups.com
So are you saying that the classes in the dialog (e.g. fonm:Axle) are in the file but cannot be found in the classes tree? How are those classes defined, e.g. are they connected to the root class via any rdfs:subClassOf path? Maybe they cannot be reached?

Holger

Jack Hodges

Jun 7, 2018, 9:08:06 AM6/7/18
to TopBraid Suite Users
That ontology has existed for several years and is in use in various projects so yes it is connected to owl:Thing and to rdfs:Class. But it occurred to me that perhaps the superclass of fonm:Concept, which is prov:Entity, might not have a prefix in the current graph so I created one and that didn’t help. Then I reached out to the list. I should add that this doesn’t just happen with FONM. That was just the example that annoyed me at the time. It seems to happen when I have graphs open that have a large number of classes in them.

By the way, there are no errors or warnings when I load this graph and there are no missing references (this last being something that Steve Ray found that I wasn’t seeing in the TBC environment).

Jack

Richard Cyganiak

Jun 7, 2018, 9:40:45 AM6/7/18
to topbrai...@googlegroups.com
Jack,

Are you aware of this:

Preferences > TopBraid Composer > Max. number of instances to display

This setting is used in a number of places in TBC to limit the number of items shown. It is also involved in populating the tree, although I am not sure in what way exactly.

Richard

Irene Polikoff

Jun 7, 2018, 11:28:07 AM6/7/18
to topbrai...@googlegroups.com
This default may be involved in counting the number of class instances that is shown next to each class in the tree.

How may classes do you have, Jack? I have not experienced this problem and I commonly work with ontologies that have hundreds of classes. I just checked FIBO. It has over 4K classes and they all display fine.

We'd need to think about how to reproduce your problem.

Irene

Holger Knublauch

Jun 7, 2018, 6:29:49 PM6/7/18
to topbrai...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jack,

I checked the source code of the classes tree and it does have a maximum
number of children, which is the value that you can configure in TBC
Preferences > Max number of instances to display. Could you try
increasing that number to check if your classes then show up?

Holger

Holger Knublauch

Jun 7, 2018, 6:33:06 PM6/7/18
to topbrai...@googlegroups.com
Oops, I noticed too late that Richard had already responded along the
same lines. Too many emails this morning :)

Holger

Jack Hodges

Jun 8, 2018, 10:01:14 AM6/8/18
to TopBraid Suite Users
Yes, I am aware of this setting but thought it only affected instances and not the Classes view. I can check, but I normally up this value to 10,000. It might be back down to 1,000 which, if memory serves, is the default.