TBC-ME Crash during 'Create restriction' operation

Rich Keller

Sep 12, 2016, 6:14:38 PM9/12/16
to TopBraid Suite Users
Hi. I TBCME 5.1.4 (for Mac) is crashing for me when I attempt to add a restriction to a class via the UI (via the 'Create restriction' pulldown menu item under rdfs:subClassOf). I tried to enter the restriction by hand in the code, but TBC does not seem to parse/process/accept that code. The trace is below. Thanks for any help.  Rich

!ENTRY org.topbraidcomposer.core 4 0 2016-09-12 14:54:40.690
!MESSAGE Failed to execute operation
!STACK 0
    at org.topbraid.core.change.AbstractChangeEngine.execute(AbstractChangeEngine.java:286)
    at org.topbraidcomposer.core.change.TBCChangeEngine.access$0(TBCChangeEngine.java:1)
    at org.topbraidcomposer.core.change.TBCChangeEngine$2.run(TBCChangeEngine.java:155)
    at org.eclipse.jface.operation.ModalContext$ModalContextThread.run(ModalContext.java:119)
Caused by: org.eclipse.core.commands.ExecutionException: While executing the operation, an exception occurred
    at org.eclipse.core.commands.operations.DefaultOperationHistory.execute(DefaultOperationHistory.java:524)
    at org.topbraid.core.change.AbstractChangeEngine.execute(AbstractChangeEngine.java:272)
    ... 3 more
Caused by: java.lang.IllegalStateException: we failed to create the object: java.lang.IllegalStateException: objectProvider returned null
    at org.topbraid.change.AddStatementChange.execute(AddStatementChange.java:65)
    at org.topbraid.core.change.ChangeOperation.execute(ChangeOperation.java:105)
    at org.eclipse.core.commands.operations.DefaultOperationHistory.execute(DefaultOperationHistory.java:516)
    ... 4 more
Root exception:
[...]

Holger Knublauch

Sep 12, 2016, 9:47:54 PM9/12/16
to topbrai...@googlegroups.com
Hi Rich,

I am not yet able to reproduce this, and will need more information.

First, the work-around that SHOULD work is to enter the restriction direction using the Add new row text editor in OWL Manchester Syntax. For example, adding a min cardinality restriction:

Could you clarify what syntax you tried to enter? Could the issue be about namespace prefixes.

Looking at the code of the dialog, one scenario where this could happen is if no property is selected, or the system cannot turn the dialog's content into valid OWL Manchester Syntax. Again, it would help if you can clarify what type of restriction you tried to enter. Could you make a screenshot of the dialog right before the crash?

Thanks
Holger
--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Group "TopBraid Suite Users", the topics of which include the TopBraid Suite family of products and its base technologies such as SPARQLMotion, SPARQL Web Pages and SPIN.
---

Rich Keller

Sep 13, 2016, 1:02:48 PM9/13/16
to topbrai...@googlegroups.com
Holger: I'm attaching two screenshots: one using the add new row plus Manchester Syntax for the restriction; the other using the GUI for entry of the restriction. After completing the entry -- in either case -- the bug manifests itself.

You mentioned an issue with namespace prefixes. What is that issue? The namespace situation and import structure is a bit complex in this case, so if there is an issue you suspect, that is probably the problem. The property being restricted is defined in a different namespace (atm:) than the class being defined (data:).

Please let me know if you need additional details.

Thanks for your help, Rich

---

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Group "TopBraid Suite Users", the topics of which include the TopBraid Suite family of products and its base technologies such as SPARQLMotion, SPARQL Web Pages and SPIN.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "TopBraid Suite Users" group.
Screen Shot 2016-09-13 at 9.38.53 AM.png
Screen Shot 2016-09-13 at 9.43.51 AM.png

Holger Knublauch

Sep 13, 2016, 7:58:11 PM9/13/16
to topbrai...@googlegroups.com
I see nothing wrong. So what happens if (in your lower screenshot with the text editor) press enter? It seems to parse it OK...

Holger
To post to this group, send email to topbrai...@googlegroups.com

---

Rich Keller

Sep 13, 2016, 11:15:12 PM9/13/16
to topbrai...@googlegroups.com
When I press enter, it bombs with the same error trace as I sent before. At least I think the trace is identical. Let me verify tomorrow. Rich

On Mon, Sep 12, 2016 at 6:47 PM, Holger Knublauch <hol...@topquadrant.com> wrote:
Hi Rich,

I am not yet able to reproduce this, and will need more information.

First, the work-around that SHOULD work is to enter the restriction direction using the Add new row text editor in OWL Manchester Syntax. For example, adding a min cardinality restriction:

<mime-attachment.png>
To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email to topbraid-user...@googlegroups.com.

Rich Keller

Sep 14, 2016, 11:53:58 AM9/14/16
to TopBraid Suite Users
Here is the trace from pressing enter with the text editor:

!ENTRY org.topbraidcomposer.core 4 0 2016-09-14 08:48:10.112

!MESSAGE Failed to execute operation
!STACK 0
    at org.topbraid.core.change.AbstractChangeEngine.execute(AbstractChangeEngine.java:286)
    at org.topbraidcomposer.core.change.TBCChangeEngine.access$0(TBCChangeEngine.java:1)
    at org.topbraidcomposer.core.change.TBCChangeEngine$2.run(TBCChangeEngine.java:155)
    at org.eclipse.jface.operation.ModalContext$ModalContextThread.run(ModalContext.java:119)
Caused by: org.eclipse.core.commands.ExecutionException: While executing the operation, an exception occurred
    at org.eclipse.core.commands.operations.DefaultOperationHistory.execute(DefaultOperationHistory.java:524)
    at org.topbraid.core.change.AbstractChangeEngine.execute(AbstractChangeEngine.java:272)
    ... 3 more
Caused by: java.lang.IllegalStateException: we failed to create the object: org.topbraid.owl.man.parser.ParseException: Encountered "" at line 1, column 48.
Was expecting one of:

[...]

Holger Knublauch

Sep 14, 2016, 8:35:25 PM9/14/16
to topbrai...@googlegroups.com
I can reproduce this issue. It's an "unfortunate" error handling in our code: attempts to assign a class (here: atm:NavigationFix) in an owl:allValuesFrom restriction on an owl:DatatypeProperty crashes. Creating such a constraint would be invalid, but the error message needs to improve. I have filed a corresponding enhancement request. Meanwhile, the work-around is to turn your property into an owl:ObjectProperty. Or did you intend atm:NavigationFix to be an rdfs:Datatype?

Rich Keller