support for rdf:value

Bohms, H.M. (Michel)

Oct 1, 2014, 7:30:39 AM10/1/14
to topbrai...@googlegroups.com
I define a pattern where a quantity class has a value and a unit.
I defined ext:hasValue for this myself.

I discovered however in http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/REC-rdf-primer-20040210/#rdfvalue
the existing construct for exactly this purpose! (n-ary relationships/structured values).

But is this rdf:value supported in TBC? I cant find it :)

Thx for feedback,
Michel

Dr. ir. H.M. (Michel) Bohms
Sr. Research Scientist
Structural Reliability
T +31 (0)88 866 31 07
M +31 (0)63 038 12 20
E michel...@tno.nl

Bohms, H.M. (Michel)

Oct 1, 2014, 8:25:25 AM10/1/14
to topbrai...@googlegroups.com
More info:
see it available now (class pref ticked) but I cannot fill in: "12.0"^^xsd:float
At least not in form, I can do it in source code tab....

Dr. ir. H.M. (Michel) Bohms
Sr. Research Scientist
Structural Reliability
T +31 (0)88 866 31 07
M +31 (0)63 038 12 20
E michel...@tno.nl

-- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Group "TopBraid Suite Users", the topics of which include Enterprise Vocabulary Network (EVN), TopBraid Composer, TopBraid Live, TopBraid Insight, SPARQLMotion, SPARQL Web Pages and SPIN.
To post to this group, send email to
topbrai...@googlegroups.com
topbraid-user...@googlegroups.com
For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/topbraid-users?hl=en
---

Scott Henninger

Oct 2, 2014, 10:07:22 AM10/2/14
to topbrai...@googlegroups.com
Michel; Yes, rdf:value is supported in TopBraid.  One way to verify is to CONSTRUCT some rdf:value values:

CONSTRUCT
{ exproduct:item10245   exterms:weight   _:weight10245 .
_:weight10245         rdf:value        "2.4"^^xsd:decimal .
_:weight10245         exterms:units    exunits:kilograms .
}
WHERE {
}

Also, the properties pane does not show all properties in the RDF vocabulary.  See Preferences > TopBraid Composer > Properties View and you can select rdf:value to appear in the Properties View.

-- Scott

Scott Henninger

Oct 2, 2014, 10:09:24 AM10/2/14
to topbrai...@googlegroups.com
Michel; I believe 12.4 is a shorthand for 12.4^^xsd:string, just as 1 is a shorthand for
1^^xsd:integer. Jena is just insisting on using the shorthand.

-- Scott

Bohms, H.M. (Michel)

Oct 2, 2014, 10:42:43 AM10/2/14
to topbrai...@googlegroups.com

Think I ws unclear: if you try to add rdf:value 12.0 via the form tab, the box stays red

When you do it in source code tab:

And then switch you get:

So fine.

Clearly, I’dd like to be able to use the forms tab in the first place…

Dr. ir. H.M. (Michel) Bohms
Sr. Research Scientist
Structural Reliability

T +31 (0)88 866 31 07
M +31 (0)63 038 12 20
michel...@tno.nl

Group "TopBraid Suite Users", the topics of which include Enterprise Vocabulary Network (EVN), TopBraid Composer, TopBraid Live, TopBraid Insight, SPARQLMotion, SPARQL Web Pages and SPIN.

Bohms, H.M. (Michel)

Oct 2, 2014, 10:44:56 AM10/2/14
to topbrai...@googlegroups.com
Dont think so...

At least you need ""

12.4 would be more logically a float I guess not a string

But anyway, both long and short forms keep resulting in red boxes....

Oct 2, 2014, 11:19:27 AM10/2/14
to topbrai...@googlegroups.com
Actually no, the string is not needed. See http://www.w3.org/TR/sparql11-query/#sparqlGrammar

-- Scott

Irene Polikoff

Oct 2, 2014, 11:26:18 AM10/2/14
to topbrai...@googlegroups.com
To add to this, the answer is apparent from the user interface.

In the image below, you can see a purple diamond to the left of rdf:value field. This means that a resource, not a literal is expected.

Irene

On 10/2/2014, 9:42 AM, Bohms, H.M. (Michel) wrote:

Think I ws unclear: if you try to add rdf:value 12.0 via the form tab, the box stays red

<mime-attachment.png>

When you do it in source code tab:

And then switch you get:

<mime-attachment.png>

So fine.

Clearly, I’dd like to be able to use the forms tab in the first place…

Dr. ir. H.M. (Michel) Bohms
Sr. Research Scientist
Structural Reliability

T +31 (0)88 866 31 07
M +31 (0)63 038 12 20
michel...@tno.nl

Location

Bohms, H.M. (Michel)

Oct 2, 2014, 11:30:14 AM10/2/14
to topbrai...@googlegroups.com

Thx scott/irene

thx

But can I still use it to store a value like “12.0”^^xsd:float?

Dr. ir. H.M. (Michel) Bohms
Sr. Research Scientist
Structural Reliability

T +31 (0)88 866 31 07
M +31 (0)63 038 12 20
michel...@tno.nl

Location

Bohms, H.M. (Michel)

Oct 2, 2014, 11:34:32 AM10/2/14
to topbrai...@googlegroups.com

In other words: when I give the value in code tab and get in forms-tab:

What happened? Is it now a resource after all?

Dr. ir. H.M. (Michel) Bohms
Sr. Research Scientist
Structural Reliability

T +31 (0)88 866 31 07
M +31 (0)63 038 12 20
michel...@tno.nl

Location

Scott Henninger

Oct 2, 2014, 11:36:35 AM10/2/14
to topbrai...@googlegroups.com
It is a literal with a value of 12.0 that is equivalent to "12.0"^^xsd:float.  For more, see the grammar section of the SPARQL W3C recommendation.

-- Scott

Bohms, H.M. (Michel)

Oct 2, 2014, 11:37:43 AM10/2/14
to topbrai...@googlegroups.com

Or yet diff. Formulated:

Isnt rdfs:Literal a subclass of rdfs:Resource and hence I should be able to fill in a literal?

Bohms, H.M. (Michel)

Oct 2, 2014, 11:42:30 AM10/2/14
to topbrai...@googlegroups.com

Why sparql spec? Isnt this an rdf/rdfs issue?

Ie: in rdfs spec:

2.1 rdfs:Resource

All things described by RDF are called resources, and are instances of the class rdfs:Resource. This is the class of everything. All other classes are subclasses of this class.rdfs:Resource is an instance of rdfs:Class.

WHAT AM I MISSING? J

Dr. ir. H.M. (Michel) Bohms
Sr. Research Scientist
Structural Reliability

T +31 (0)88 866 31 07
M +31 (0)63 038 12 20
michel...@tno.nl

Location

Scott Henninger

Oct 2, 2014, 11:44:17 AM10/2/14
to topbrai...@googlegroups.com

Irene Polikoff

Oct 2, 2014, 1:10:49 PM10/2/14
to topbrai...@googlegroups.com

Michel,

You are right in that rdfs:Literal is a subclass of rdfs:Resource. When creating a form-based editing UI, we have to make some design decisions to ensure that users have a friendly interface for the majority of their editing operations.

With this, if a property range is rdfs:Resource, TBC editing UI assumes a resource as in “an instance that either has a URI or is a blank node”. If the range is rdfs:Literal, it assumes a literal. This assumption holds well with user expectations for most cases.

In my experience, rdf:value is rarely used and while the Primer circa 2004 talks about using it as a way to address the need for n-ary relationships, Primer circa  2014 does not say this nor does it mention rdf:value.

I recommend you to create your own value property and give it a literal range. If desired, you can make it a subproperty of rdf:value. If, for some reason, this doesn’t work – there is an option to use the source code tab.

Irene

image001.gif
image002.png

Bohms, H.M. (Michel)

Oct 6, 2014, 6:41:48 AM10/6/14
to topbrai...@googlegroups.com

Dear Irene, see after >

Michel,

You are right in that rdfs:Literal is a subclass of rdfs:Resource. When creating a form-based editing UI, we have to make some design decisions to ensure that users have a friendly interface for the majority of their editing operations.

Ø  See your point practically, but formaly….

With this, if a property range is rdfs:Resource, TBC editing UI assumes a resource as in “an instance that either has a URI or is a blank node”. If the range is rdfs:Literal, it assumes a literal. This assumption holds well with user expectations for most cases.

In my experience, rdf:value is rarely used and while the Primer circa 2004 talks about using it as a way to address the need for n-ary relationships, Primer circa  2014 does not say this nor does it mention rdf:value.

Ø  I defined it first myself and was then very happy to see it already defined for my pattern.

Ø  The primer is just informative, in http://www.w3.org/TR/2014/REC-rdf-schema-20140225/#ch_value it is still mentioned (rdfs1.1 feb this year)

o   As they say: “Despite the lack of formal specification of the meaning of this property, there is value in defining it to encourage the use of a common idiom in examples of this kind”

Ø  Furthermore it is still in: http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf11-mt/

o   Although indeed more like “mentioned” iso “defined”

I recommend you to create your own value property and give it a literal range. If desired, you can make it a subproperty of rdf:value. If, for some reason, this doesn’t work – there is an option to use the source code tab.

Ø  I see many projects defining their own “value” property when defining “attributes” as classes to get some more power (esp. in the context of quantities/units) so I will stick to the rdf:value one and use the source tab for editing…

Thx Michel