Failed to importing an ontology from Protege into TBC

msea...@gmail.com

Sep 21, 2016, 4:51:16 AM9/21/16
to TopBraid Suite Users
Hi,

I'm a PhD student doing thesis project.

In the past, I've been using Protege to build ontologies.
A couple days ago, I started to explore Top Braid Composer, free version, 5.2.0

What I am trying to do is to import my ontology built by Protege into Top Braid Composer. Yet, failed.

1. I've already saved my ontology file in RDF/XML format, import it into Composer's workspace.
2. Then right click on the file, Open with -> Other -> TopBraid (RDF/XML Documents),
3. Got a dialogue "The file aa.XML does not contain a valid baseURI but appears to be a valid RDF file. Would you like to specify a base URI and try to open it?"
          - I selected [Yes], and a dialogue shows Base URI for aa.XML "http://www.unknown.com/merge_RDF.XML",
          - clicked [OK], the following dialogue shows  "A base URI has been added to aa.XML. The system will now try to reload it."
          - clicked [OK]. However, it just brought me back to "The file aa.XML does not contain a valid baseURI but appears to be a valid RDF file. Would you like to specify a base URI and try to open it?"

I've tried several times, also searched in this group. But haven't found a solution.

Can any one help to figure this out method of importing ontology from Protege into TBC?

Thanks a lot!

Schusie

David Price

Sep 21, 2016, 5:15:24 AM9/21/16
to topbrai...@googlegroups.com
Try changing the base URI to be that of your ontology rather than just clicking “OK” in step 3.

FWIW I find using Turtle easier than RDF/XML because then if you have to do a fix-up it’s much simpler to edit in a text editor. Also, as ontologies get very large, the Turtle parser taking 20% of the time to load vs RDF/XML makes a difference.

Cheers,
--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Group "TopBraid Suite Users", the topics of which include the TopBraid Suite family of products and its base technologies such as SPARQLMotion, SPARQL Web Pages and SPIN.
---

Holger Knublauch

Sep 21, 2016, 5:32:30 AM9/21/16

On 21/09/2016 17:54, msea...@gmail.com wrote:
Hi,

I'm a PhD student doing thesis project.

In the past, I've been using Protege to build ontologies.
A couple days ago, I started to explore Top Braid Composer, free version, 5.2.0

What I am trying to do is to import my ontology built by Protege into Top Braid Composer. Yet, failed.

1. I've already saved my ontology file in RDF/XML format, import it into Composer's workspace.

Could you try renaming the file to use the ending .rdf? Using .xml is quite unusual for RDF/XML files, almost like using .txt for Turtle files.

Holger