How to add Classes in bulk?

msea...@gmail.com

May 9, 2017, 1:10:27 AM5/9/17
to TopBraid Suite Users
Hi there,

I am creating my own ontology, using Top Braid Composer, free version, 5.2.0.
First of all, thanks the developers for this amazing tool, which has been very useful and better than other ontology creation tools I've used.

Yet, I am wondering if there is some "add Classes in bulk" function?

For example, I want to add 51 states as subclasses to the Class:StatesOfUS.
Instead of manually type in the name of each state into top braid composer (which is really troublesome and inefficient), I am wondering if there is any method to add them in in bulk?
Because I can easily find the name of these 51 states on some web pages, copy and paste them into a txt files seperated by comma/space/enter etc., or into an excel file as a data column.

I know this can be done in Protege, but don't know how to do in TBC.

Thanks for anyone's help in advance!
Really looking forward to solutions. If this can be solved, input will be much faster!

Schusie

Irene Polikoff

May 9, 2017, 1:42:26 AM5/9/17
to topbrai...@googlegroups.com
Instead of copying names of states from a web page to a file, you can simply open the “Create class" dialog and copy class names into the dialog. Do not click on OK, just keep pressing CTRL+Enter. This will display a new class, pre-populating its name, but you can copy and paste the name from the web page instead. However, this needs to be a valid local names - no spaces allowed. Labels can be generated automatically from the local name.

After you finish with all classes, press OK to complete the creation.

TBC supports import of Excel files, but this capability is not offered in the Free Edition.

Another option is to select either rdfs:Class or owl:Class and the select “Create class members” from the Resource menu - to get to the following dialog.

Having said this, I wonder why you want to create states as classes. What would then be the instances of such classes?

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Group "TopBraid Suite Users", the topics of which include the TopBraid Suite family of products and its base technologies such as SPARQLMotion, SPARQL Web Pages and SPIN.
---

msea...@gmail.com

May 9, 2017, 2:23:39 AM5/9/17
to TopBraid Suite Users
Hi Irene,

Thanks for the quick reply!

The second solution is exactly what I want! (The first in-put method is exactly what I have been adopting, but that is too "manually"... I really want to just "copy & paste in bulk")

However, there seems to be no "create class members" options in my menu:

Is it another disadvantage of this free version, or just something wrong with this particular software I downloaded?

As to the "defining-states-as-classes" issue, I was just giving an (inappropriate) example:
Intended to illustrate that I need to input a lot of subClasses, which can be easily copy-paste from online. :)

在 2017年5月9日星期二 UTC+8下午1:42:26,Irene Polikoff写道:

Irene Polikoff

May 9, 2017, 2:33:22 AM5/9/17
to topbrai...@googlegroups.com
Yes, it must be unsupported in the Free Edition.