TopBraid v5.1.4.v201606 not working on Linux

xerao

Jul 25, 2016, 7:35:15 AM7/25/16
to TopBraid Suite Users
I am trying to run: TopBraid Composer Free Edition v5.1.4.v201606   on Ubuntu Linux 16.x with Java 8 installed.

I cannot double click on any of the classes, or create subclasses etc and clicking on the "add" button for creating a subclass does not do anything.  I get the following errors in the console.

*** BUG ***
In pixman_region32_init_rect: Invalid rectangle passed
Set a breakpoint on '_pixman_log_error' to debug

*** BUG ***
In pixman_region32_init_rect: Invalid rectangle passed
Set a breakpoint on '_pixman_log_error' to debug

[TopBraid Error] 2016-07-25T11:42:36+0100 - org.topbraidcomposer.core: Failed to execute operation (null)
    at org.topbraid.core.change.AbstractChangeEngine.execute(AbstractChangeEngine.java:286)
    at org.topbraidcomposer.core.change.TBCChangeEngine.access$0(TBCChangeEngine.java:1)
    at org.topbraidcomposer.core.change.TBCChangeEngine$2.run(TBCChangeEngine.java:155)
    at org.eclipse.jface.operation.ModalContext$ModalContextThread.run(ModalContext.java:119)
Caused by: org.eclipse.core.commands.ExecutionException: While executing the operation, an exception occurred
    at org.eclipse.core.commands.operations.DefaultOperationHistory.execute(DefaultOperationHistory.java:524)
    at org.topbraid.core.change.AbstractChangeEngine.execute(AbstractChangeEngine.java:272)
    ... 3 more
    at org.topbraidcomposer.navigation.subclassestree.createclasses.CreateClassesDialog$1.execute(CreateClassesDialog.java:125)
    at org.topbraid.core.change.ChangeOperation.execute(ChangeOperation.java:105)
    at org.eclipse.core.commands.operations.DefaultOperationHistory.execute(DefaultOperationHistory.java:516)
    ... 4 more

Any way to resolve this problem?

Cheers

Pat Doyle

Jul 25, 2016, 10:48:29 AM7/25/16
to topbrai...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

TopBraid Composer requires Oracle Java 8 in order to run correctly.  OpenJDK 8 is the default java installation in Ubuntu 16.x - did you go through the process of manually installing Oracle Java 8 and setting it as the default JRE?  If not - this is likely the cause of the problems you are seeing.

It should be noted that Oracle Java 8 is not officially listed as supported in Ubuntu 16.x, so if you're seeing the issues with Oracle Java 8, this could be why.  You can find a list of officially supported Oracle Java 8 platforms here:

Hope it helps.

xerao

Jul 26, 2016, 3:26:54 AM7/26/16
to TopBraid Suite Users
Hello Pat,

I did install Oracle Java 8  which is compatible with Ubuntu 16.x and removed all other versions. It still does not work.

Regards

Richard Cyganiak

Jul 26, 2016, 4:04:35 AM7/26/16
to topbrai...@googlegroups.com
Hi xerao,

Does this only affect the Classes view on the left, or do you get the same kind of errors in the Properties view on the right?

Are you working on a project created in a previous/different version of TBC? Or is this a fresh project but you imported existing RDF/OWL files into it?

If you select your project and do:

    File > New > RDF File

and confirm the default settings, do you get the same errors in the new file?

Richard

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Group "TopBraid Suite Users", the topics of which include the TopBraid Suite family of products and its base technologies such as SPARQLMotion, SPARQL Web Pages and SPIN.
---

xerao

Jul 26, 2016, 5:19:23 AM7/26/16
to TopBraid Suite Users
Hi Richard,

I can now confirm that the error is the same whether I use an existing project, create a new project and use existing ontologies, or create a new project and create a new RDF file with the default settings. They all lead to the same error with the class view. I can also confirm that the Properties View does not work and causes the same type of error.

Cheers,

Richard Cyganiak

Jul 26, 2016, 6:32:20 AM7/26/16
to topbrai...@googlegroups.com
Thanks. In an attempt to narrow down the problem further: Have you previously been able to run a different version of TBC on the same machine? Or the same version of TBC on a different machine?

Richard

xerao

Jul 26, 2016, 7:14:52 AM7/26/16
to TopBraid Suite Users
Same version of the software runs on a different windows 10 machine with the same ontologies.

Pat Doyle

Jul 26, 2016, 10:28:31 AM7/26/16
to topbrai...@googlegroups.com
It seems this may be due to GTK issues with Eclipse Mars on Ubuntu 16.04.  Are you using GTK3?

If so, try GTK2:

Here's a bit more info on GTK issues with Eclipse on the most recent Ubuntu releases:

xerao

Jul 26, 2016, 10:45:34 AM7/26/16
to TopBraid Suite Users
That solved it!! Thank you very much.