Facet Browsing Error

Tim Smith

May 13, 2012, 11:20:25 PM5/13/12
to topbrai...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

When trying to use the faceted browser from TBC-ME 3.6.0R, I sometimes, but not always receive this message from the browser (IE or Firefox):

"Communication Error with Server"

This typically happens when I'm attempting to add a facet.

It seems to happen when there are a large number (10,000ish) of values for the facet OR when there are a lot of instances of the class (40-50,000ish).

There are no errors in the error log.

I need this to work!

I can reproduce it with an internal data set, most of the time.

Do you know where I can look to find more information regarding the error?

I cannot determine if it is TBC, IE/Firefox, etc...

Thanks for you help with this vaque problem.

Tim

Holger Knublauch

May 14, 2012, 2:38:36 AM5/14/12
to topbrai...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tim,

hard to say without seeing the example data and having any error as a
clue. But what you could do is install FireBug (Firefox plugin) and then
activate it when working with the faceted browser. This will allow you
to monitor the requests and responses, and you may see an error message
in the Net tab and Console of Firebug.

Thanks
Holger
> --
> For more options, visit this group at
> http://groups.google.com/group/topbraid-users?hl=en

Tim Smith

May 14, 2012, 11:59:39 PM5/14/12
to topbrai...@googlegroups.com
I'm still unable to determine the error.

However, when running 3.6.0R or Beta, the facet.ui:Summary view does not appear in the drop down when viewing the Resource in the SWP view.  This did appear in 3.5.4.

The only way I can invoke the faceted browser is to use the URL as defined in the help page.

Something of the form:

http://localhost:8083/tbl/uispin?_resource=http%3A%2F%2Fontologies.pg.com%2Ftesting%2Ffacets%23TopClass&_matchIds=facets

Also, I thought any class would be displayable via the faceted browser.  However, I was attempting to create a test case to duplicate the problem, but none of the 4 classes I defined will display using the above link.  All return a 500 error code for no valid UISPIN/SWP view.

HTTP ERROR 500

Problem accessing /tbl/uispin. Reason:

    An internal error has been reported by the UISPIN engine of TopBraid Live.  Please contact your administrator with a copy of the error message below.

java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: No valid UISPIN view found
	at org.topbraid.spin.swp.servlet.SWPServletUtil.run(SWPServletUtil.java:417)
	at org.topbraidlive.swp.servlet.UISPINServlet.run(UISPINServlet.java:176)
	at org.topbraidlive.swp.servlet.UISPINServlet.run(UISPINServlet.java:153)

I've attached the sample files.

Any thoughts on why facet.ui:Summary does not appear in 3.6.0 and what do I need to do to make a class displayable using the faceted browser?

Thanks,

Tim

On 5/14/2012 13:20, Tim Smith wrote:
Hi,

When trying to use the faceted browser from TBC-ME 3.6.0R, I sometimes, but not always receive this message from the browser (IE or Firefox):

"Communication Error with Server"

This typically happens when I'm attempting to add a facet.

It seems to happen when there are a large number (10,000ish) of values for the facet OR when there are a lot of instances of the class (40-50,000ish).

There are no errors in the error log.

I need this to work!

I can reproduce it with an internal data set, most of the time.

Do you know where I can look to find more information regarding the error?

I cannot determine if it is TBC, IE/Firefox, etc...

Thanks for you help with this vaque problem.

Tim

facet-testdata.zip

Holger Knublauch

May 15, 2012, 12:53:18 AM5/15/12

On 5/15/2012 13:59, Tim Smith wrote:
I'm still unable to determine the error.

However, when running 3.6.0R or Beta, the facet.ui:Summary view does not appear in the drop down when viewing the Resource in the SWP view.  This did appear in 3.5.4.

Yes this is a glitch that unfortunately found its way into the 3.6.0 release. Please replace the attached file in your workspace (facet.topbraidlive.org project).

The only way I can invoke the faceted browser is to use the URL as defined in the help page.

Something of the form:

http://localhost:8083/tbl/uispin?_resource=http%3A%2F%2Fontologies.pg.com%2Ftesting%2Ffacets%23TopClass&_matchIds=facets

Please try

http://localhost:8083/tbl/uispin?_resource=http%3A%2F%2Fontologies.pg.com%2Ftest%2Ffacet%23TopClass&_matchIds=facets

(I think you got your namespace slightly wrong :) )

On the other problem from your original email: is this the example data that leads to the suspected crash? If so, how can I reproduce it?

Thanks,
Holger

For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/topbraid-users?hl=en

facet.ui.ttl

Tim Smith

May 15, 2012, 9:37:29 AM5/15/12
to topbrai...@googlegroups.com
Oops re: the namespace... that's what I get for working too late at night.

I was creating the attached sample data in order to try to duplicate the problem I'm seeing with the Faceted Browser.

I can create the problem as follows:

Open facet-testdata.ttl (attached) from within the TBC-ME workspace.  I'm using 3.6.0R on Win7/64.  This is the only file I have open.

Open a browser - I'm using Firefox - enter the URL from below - the one you modified.
http://localhost:8083/tbl/uispin?_resource=http%3A%2F%2Fontologies.pg.com%2Ftest%2Ffacet%23TopClass&_matchIds=facets

You can see from the first screenshot below that the faceted browser attempts to open, but never actually displays any instances before the error shown below pops up.  Notice that the last "GET" call shown in the Firebug display at the bottom indicates a time of nearly 30 seconds versus milliseconds for the other steps.

If you close the error and then click on the type facet, you get the second screenshot below.  Again, the last GET call is nearly 30 seconds before the error appears.  It does display the appropriate types.

Regardless, no instance data is ever displayed.

This is reproducible on my system.  I'm not too familiar with Firebug so let me know if there are things I can do to display more relevant data.

Thanks,

Tim

Screenshot #1

Screenshot #2

Scott Henninger

May 15, 2012, 12:22:00 PM5/15/12
to topbrai...@googlegroups.com
Tim; I'm not able to reproduce this.  It takes a couple of seconds to display the facet values (keep in mind that the facet app is doing aggregates in the background that can be time consuming), but they do appear.

What does the error log say about the source of the error?  This may e helpful.  I wonder if there is a problem with memory limitations (?) that could explain the difference between your setup and mine (I verified on Mac an Win 7, both x64).

-- Scott

Tim Smith

May 15, 2012, 12:43:31 PM5/15/12
to topbrai...@googlegroups.com
Hi Scott,

Hmmm... must be something local to my system.  I was expecting slower performance because of the aggregates.

The error log has no entries.

TBC was running at the default memory levels Xmx=1024M so I upped it to 5G which is where I typically run TBC, however, the problem still exists.

I'm in the process downloading TBL 3.6.0R and I'll upgrade the server and see if the problem exists there.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks,

Tim

Tim Smith

May 15, 2012, 2:21:42 PM5/15/12
to topbrai...@googlegroups.com
Hi Scott,

I've been playing with this a bit more and restarting the browser seems to have gotten things working a bit better.

Perhaps the browser is the hang-up.  I'm using Firefox 12.0.

What browser are you using?  Are there plugin/library verions that I should check in the browser?

Thanks,

Tim

Scott Henninger

May 15, 2012, 4:34:34 PM5/15/12
to topbrai...@googlegroups.com
Tim; I've used IE and Firefox on Mac and Win 7.  Perhaps the issue is clearing the cache?  The faceted browser is implemented in SWP and therefore behaves like any Web page - i.e. the browser will try to cache some data, such as CSS's and pages that have no dynamic content.

One possibility for the issues is not clearing the browser cache when going from 3.5.x to 3.6.0 (?)

-- Scott

Tim Smith

May 16, 2012, 11:49:23 PM5/16/12
to topbrai...@googlegroups.com
I've been experimenting further with this issue using IE and Firefox.  The only conclusion I can draw is that it is completely unreliable.  Sometimes it will work fine for a few clicks (adding filters) but, no matter what, I will ultimately receive the "Communication error with server" message.  This error is shown in the script below and is called when an ajax error occurs.

This performance is the same with the ontology I sent earlier as well as my internal ontology.

My current thinking is that something is timing out but I do not have the skills to pinpoint what the problem is.  I have Firebug but do not know what to look for.  The TBC error log does not show anything.

Any additional thoughts on this issue?  I will check the TBL implementation once I have time to upgrade the server to 3.6.0.

Thanks,

Tim

<!DOCTYPE html>
<head>
<link type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" href="lib/facet/facet.css">
<script src="lib/facet/jquery-1.4.4.min.js">
<script src="lib/facet/facet.js">
<link href="resource://2b74ff14-7256-42e0-9bf1-0806eec78788/2b74ff14-7256-42e0-9bf1-0806eec78788/popup.css" type="text/css" rel="stylesheet">
<script class="wmViewInstrumented 2b74ff14-7256-42e0-9bf1-0806eec78788">
<script class="wmScripts 2b74ff14-7256-42e0-9bf1-0806eec78788" type="text/javascript">
<script class="wmScripts 2b74ff14-7256-42e0-9bf1-0806eec78788" type="text/javascript">
<script class="wmScripts 2b74ff14-7256-42e0-9bf1-0806eec78788" type="text/javascript">
</head>
<h1 style="margin-left:4px">TopBraid Faceted Search</h1>
<script>
$('body').ajaxError(function() {
alert('Communication error with server');
});
</script>

Holger Knublauch

May 16, 2012, 11:58:36 PM5/16/12

On 5/17/2012 13:49, Tim Smith wrote:
My current thinking is that something is timing out but I do not have the skills to pinpoint what the problem is.  I have Firebug but do not know what to look for.

Maybe the attached screenshot helps. Activate FireBug with the bug button in the upper right corner. Then switch to the Net tab. You see one row for each (Ajax) request. Each click in the faceted browser will typically trigger one or more Ajax requests. The communication error message indicates that something didn't work well in those requests.

If there is a failure you should see a red line. You can expand each line to see details of the request and response. This is the information we would need to better understand the problem - Params, Headers and Response.

Thanks
Holger