Topographic Sandpox Projector?

RetroJoe

Jun 14, 2016, 4:01:06 PM6/14/16
to ToorCamp
Anybody get the name of the project or creator on the topographic sandbox projector on the deck at ?Dorkbot? in Open Camping? It was an awesome thing, but I was a little too distracted to get any documentation.

Pavel Kirkovsky

Jun 14, 2016, 4:02:46 PM6/14/16
to toor...@googlegroups.com
"Augmented Reality Sandbox" from UC Davis

-P

Sent from my Радио-86РК

On Jun 14, 2016, at 1:01 PM, RetroJoe <nick...@gmail.com> wrote:

Anybody get the name of the project or creator on the topographic sandbox projector on the deck at ?Dorkbot? in Open Camping? It was an awesome thing, but I was a little too distracted to get any documentation.

Kenny

Jun 14, 2016, 5:01:22 PM6/14/16
to toor...@googlegroups.com
Constructed and generously hauled to camp by Joe Fitz (@securelyfitz).
--
Kenny
-+---+++-++-++++--+------+-+-++--++--+-+-++--+++-++----+-++-+++---+----+--+----+

Joseph FitzPatrick

Jun 14, 2016, 5:20:05 PM6/14/16
to toor...@googlegroups.com
I built the physical sandbox but didn't touch a line of code, all that came right from UC Davis as Pavel mentioned.

I'll eventually get a full writeup but basically i used:
-original Xbox Kinect
-100 Lbs of Santastik white play sand: https://www.sandtastik.com/100-sand/101-white-play-sand
-lots of zip ties

The box was 32"x18" to fit the 16:9 ratio of the projector. The mini-pc is sufficiently capable of driving the color and contour lines. In order to do water simulation i would have had to use a much bigger and more powerful PC with a GPU.

Also, big thanks to Mark who lugged it from portland to doe bay and back when i realized last minute i couldn't possibly fit it in my car.

-joe