Portable NES Project

bash explode

Jun 24, 2016, 12:56:13 PM6/24/16
to ToorCamp
Wanted to give a big thanks to everyone that helped me out with the electronics. This was my first hardware project ever, and without you I couldn't have completed it (Without blowing up components). After the camp I did end up popping the main red power LED so I had to replace it with one that is far too bright. But here is the end result:

No additional wires in the back! Just a 9.6V battery charge port:

Here is a video if you want to see it in action (Too large for the group): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6lZ9N_VtKLVX0xoaE5maVlhQm8/view?usp=sharing

Again thanks everyone, I had an awesome experience, and I'll definitely be bringing this little guy to next Toorcamp.

Cheers,

Jesse

bash explode

Jun 24, 2016, 2:17:14 PM6/24/16
to ToorCamp
If anyone is curious as to what I did here:
  • Created two regulators, one was basically just a 7805 with some resistors, the other I wanted to smooth out the voltage for the actual NES (didn't want to pop any old hardware), so it had a 7805 plus a few capacitors.
  • I completely removed the RF box from the NES, for extra space for the regulators and battery.
  • I removed the CCFL tube backlight from the PS one screen and replaced it with 4 LEDs for less battery consumption (in retrospect, I probably didn't diffuse the LEDs enough).
  • Then I performed a few mods on the PSone screen to also make it brighter (bypassing a component).
  • Next, I created a basic video amp out of a 2N4401 transistor and a few resistors because the RF box was removed and the direct signal was a bit weak.
  • Finally I wired everything together, and rewired to Power button to utilize the battery power.

Also got a few tips from Ben Heck's book "Hacking Video Game Consoles" and of course a few lovely faces at toorcamp.

The point of this project for me was to 1) See if I could do it with minimal hardware and 2) I plan on utilizing the NES with a midi keyboard and using it as an instrument in my future music projects. The fact that I can actually play games on it is a totally added/awesome bonus.

If you'd like to hear the chiptune track I made at toorcamp 2014, you can listen here: https://bashexplode.bandcamp.com/

Cheers,
Jesse