Standing Rock support

b3b

Oct 18, 2016, 11:24:26 AM10/18/16
to ToorCamp
Hey everyone-

Laura has gone up to North Dakota to support the locals at Standing Rock.  They dont
have very reliable internet access up there so I was wondering if anyone had ideas/resurces to get satellite internet, or some internet access via 3G or 4G....
or help with improving cell coverage...?

You can contact me or Laura directly lsb...@gmail.com  928-637-5330. for any ideas/support...

Thanks!!!
Steven

Laura wrote:

We've been here about a week. Cell service is extremely spotty and there's no wi-fi. We could really use some communication infrastructure here. What's the best way to contact other hackers who might be able to set it up?

No. It's a big reservation where everyone is spread out. Nobody has satellite. It's one of the poorest reservations in the country.

Serif HexOffender

Oct 19, 2016, 5:26:20 PM10/19/16
to toor...@googlegroups.com
The easiest, cheapest and fastest option would be to see if there is (near) line-of-sight to a location that does or can have reasonable speed internet. Shoot a directional link towards that, and then repeat with an AP(s).
> --

signature.asc

Krux

Oct 19, 2016, 8:44:22 PM10/19/16
to toor...@googlegroups.com, Serif HexOffender
Satellite is going to be painfully slow. think dialup speeds. It becomes a problem of delay instead of bandwidth. The TCP protocol causes a significant slow down with the latency you see on satellite links, so even though you may have more advertised bandwidth, the performance you get is very slow, especially if you are trying to VPN. I would only go that route if you had no other options, with the expectation that you are going to be very limited in what you can use it for.

David Hulton

Oct 20, 2016, 11:00:57 AM10/20/16
to Serif HexOffender, lsb...@gmail.com, toor...@googlegroups.com
Have you looked into WildBlue? We used their service for ToorCamp back in 2012 and 2014 in Neah Bay and it was the fastest satellite connection we could find at the time (~20Mbit down / ~3Mbit up IIRC) and was reasonably cheap as long as you're fine with a long term contract. It was less than $100/month but we needed to commit for 2 years. The only problem is that they have data transfer limits and throttle your bandwidth if you go over (unless you buy more data). Also, they use 3rd party installers that don't like installing in remote locations so you may need to escalate to get service installed. We had to bug the CTO after 3 failed scheduled installations, surprisingly they then had a tech from California drive straight out and meet me there the next day...

-David

Steven Dee

Oct 20, 2016, 3:26:55 PM10/20/16
to toor...@googlegroups.com, Serif HexOffender, lsb...@gmail.com
FireChat may be another option to just get something up fast. It has serious issues (no encryption, needs a smartphone with Bluetooth, maybe others) but perhaps it's better than nothing: http://www.opengarden.com/firechat.html