Wonderland

Book Lady

Dec 22, 2010, 3:21:12 PM12/22/10
to Tone Clusters: The Joyce Carol Oates Discussion Group
Happy Holidays JCO fans...just wondering if you could direct me to the
discussion posting of Wonderland. I'm reading it now after being
intrigued by the discussion, now I can't seem to find it.

Also, I've decided to add to my "Bucket List" to read as many of JCOs
books as I can, does anyone have a list? I know she is prolific so I
think it will be a worthy challenge. Of course, I could start with
those I own. I am acquiring quite a collection!

Book Lady

Dec 22, 2010, 3:24:21 PM12/22/10
to Tone Clusters: The Joyce Carol Oates Discussion Group
Darn, never mind I just figured out how to search the group and find
Wonderland. Sorry to bother

notenoug...@aol.com

Dec 23, 2010, 1:33:42 AM12/23/10
to tonecl...@googlegroups.com
Book Lady,

Happy Holidays to you---if you wouldn't mind giving the link to that discussion posting of JCO's works, I would be so grateful.  Thank you!

Book Lady

Dec 23, 2010, 3:07:11 PM12/23/10
to Tone Clusters: The Joyce Carol Oates Discussion Group

Just finished Wonderland...I was trying to figure out what the
connection was to Alice in Wonderland...I think for me it is that most
of the book has kind of an unreal, dreamlike tone, the characters
always seem on the brink of madness like the characters in Alice.
They were so compelling I couldn't stop reading. I really couldn't
stand that Trick character though and skimmed over the stuff about his
horrible poetry.

I didn't understand why Shelley ran away in the first place...did she
feel her father was consuming her, wasn't there something weird about
him watching her swimming everyday? Or did he know he would
eventually lose her? My son left for college this year, and while
reading this section I just kept thinking how I am always wondering,
sometimes obsessing about where he is, what he is doing, is he okay,
is someone trying to influence him to do something harmful to himself
and I just can't imagine not knowing where your child is like Jesse's
character, how horrible, but Oates doesn't have children, but it is
amazing how she is able to capture this feeling of a parent's fear.

I really didn't get the boat scene at the end...why the heck would
Jesse put her in a boat? That was really weird and I can't make sense
of it. Maybe I just read it too literally. I have to go back and
reread the discussion again.

I'm starting What I Lived For now...another violent beginning
propelling me into the book.