need help identifying short story

Roberta

Jul 20, 2010, 1:09:21 PM7/20/10
to Tone Clusters: The Joyce Carol Oates Discussion Group
Does anyone know the title of this short story by CJO: Girl notices
guy (in convertible?) cruising parking lot of a maul. Radio station
plays/radio call number is noted in story. Guy pulls up at her house
the next day. He wears cowboy boots and is walking awkwardly in them
(cloven hoofs of devil???) She leaves with him...screen door
slams...she looks back and realizes she'll never come back home
again. Something special about the song and call letters/numbers the
car radio is playing??

You know how it is....you read a story a bizillion years ago and
something triggers a memory and suddenly you are on a quest that is
about to drive you insane if you don't find an answer???
Anyway...that's just about where I'm at. Looking forward to (finding
the time to) read all the entries in the discussion group.
Roberta

Eric Anderson

Jul 20, 2010, 1:20:31 PM7/20/10
to tonecl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Roberta

That's easy. It's the story "Where Are You Going, Where Have You Been?" You can find it in her recent collection High Lonesome which includes a selection of JCO's stories from the past 50 years.

Eric

> Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2010 10:09:21 -0700
> Subject: [JCO:845] need help identifying short story
> From: rmf...@yahoo.com
> To: tonecl...@googlegroups.com

g.p...@hotmail.com

Jul 20, 2010, 1:54:50 PM7/20/10
to tonecl...@googlegroups.com
I concur. "Where Are You Going, Where Have You Been?". Classic.

I hope everyone is enjoying their summer. Speaking of summer, recently completed JCO's short story "Fours Summers". Loved it.

Best,
Gordon

From: Eric Anderson <erick...@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2010 13:20:31 -0400
Subject: RE: [JCO:846] need help identifying short story

Oehling, Rick

Jul 20, 2010, 4:01:17 PM7/20/10
to tonecl...@googlegroups.com
"Where are You Going..." also made into the superb film "Smooth Talk" with Laura Dern and a James Taylor soundtrack.
I love "Four Summers," Gordon. I think its from same era as "Where are You Going..." and my all-time fav: "How I Contemplated the World from the Detroit House of Correction and Began My Life Over Again"
Jul 20, 2010, 1:14:00 PM7/20/10
to tonecl...@googlegroups.com
I believe it is "where are you going, where have you been?"
Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

Jul 21, 2010, 6:39:06 PM7/21/10
to tonecl...@googlegroups.com
Many thanks...now I can check that one off my "things to take care of" list.
Roberta

Roberta Abson

Jul 21, 2010, 6:40:19 PM7/21/10
to tonecl...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for taking the time to respond, Gordon.
Roberta

Roberta Abson

Jul 21, 2010, 6:41:09 PM7/21/10
to tonecl...@googlegroups.com
Many thanks for taking the time to email back with info.
Roberta

Jul 21, 2010, 6:42:12 PM7/21/10
to tonecl...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for the quick response.
Roberta

Jul 21, 2010, 8:48:40 PM7/21/10
to tonecl...@googlegroups.com
Awe shucks Roberta, the pleasure is all mine, I'm sure.

By the way Rick, you mentioned that the two aforementioned works were from the same era. I felt sure of it when I finished "Four Summers" because of the slight similarities in the two main characters story (Connie & "pretty" Sissie). Looks like Sissie got the better deal in the end... whether she knew it or not. :)

Later,
Gordon

Max Alberts

Jul 22, 2010, 9:19:41 AM7/22/10
to tonecl...@googlegroups.com
Where Are You Going, Where Have You Been (for Bob Dylan) has a fascinating genesis. JCO is a classically trained pianist ("an enthusiastic amateur" she calls herself) and a music lover in general. She appreciates folk and folk rock, and you'll note the DJ's name is Bobby King. The kernel of the story is based on an Ohio serial killer whose legs weren't the same size and who stuffed his boot with newspaper to make the legs look congruent. Connie is an adolescent in thrall to the music, to the summer and to Arnold Friend, the "demon lover" to whom she gives herself finally (and perhaps fatally) as they ride away in his convertible. As Oates has written, describing the creation of fiction, the story on the page is just "the tip of the iceberg" vis a vis what's going on beneath the conscious text.

Speaking simply for me, Oate's first four story collections are the best pieces she's ever written (and I've read everything she's published). BY THE NORTH GATE, UPON THE SWEEPING FLOOD, THE WHEEL OF LOVE and MARRIAGES AND INFIDELITIES are brilliant, original and captivating.

--- On Wed, 7/21/10, g.p...@hotmail.com <g.p...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > toneclusters+unsub...@googlegroups.com

> > For more options, visit this group at
> > http://groups.google.com/group/toneclusters?hl=en

> For more options, visit this group at
> http://groups.google.com/group/toneclusters?hl=en
>
> --

> For more options, visit this group at
> http://groups.google.com/group/toneclusters?hl=en
>
> --

> For more options, visit this group at
> http://groups.google.com/group/toneclusters?hl=en

Dorothy Schirtzinger

Jul 22, 2010, 10:55:26 AM7/22/10
to tonecl...@googlegroups.com
BY THE NORTH GATE  was the first story collection by JCO that I read.  I was completely in awe of her writing then, and that was the beginning of my fascination with her and her work.   I cannot claim to have read everything she has published, but certainly continue to follow her career and writing with interest and admiration.

For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/toneclusters?hl=en

Dorothy Schirtzinger

Roberta Abson

Aug 3, 2010, 9:19:15 PM8/3/10
to tonecl...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the feedback.  Always good to hear info from a true fan of hers.  The sentence about the real perp's shorter leg was new to me and I'll make sure to file that bit away for future reference.
Jessica

Roberta Abson

Aug 3, 2010, 9:21:04 PM8/3/10
to tonecl...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for writing Max and passing along info.  This group's efforts would make Carol J.O. smile I'm sure.
Jessica

Max Alberts

Aug 3, 2010, 9:24:35 PM8/3/10
to tonecl...@googlegroups.com
You are most welcome. May I be a bit off topic and complain about the humidity in the Twin Cities this summer? It is enervating and disgusting as well--the humidity seems to trap the pollution and make the air smell like a sewer. It was 95 today with a  heat index of 103. "Now these wild hot days is the mad blood simmering" (from Act One of ROMEO AND JULIET)

Oehling, Rick

Aug 4, 2010, 12:51:18 AM8/4/10
to tonecl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Max
You're not off topic, though I can't say why. But I found myself "dipping into" Oates's collection "Heat" today. Why? We are not your usual compulsives.
Rick

toneclusters...@googlegroups.com<http://us.mc511.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=toneclusters...@googlegroups.com>

For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/toneclusters?hl=en

Dorothy Schirtzinger
dorot...@comcast.net<http://us.mc511.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=dorot...@comcast.net>

Oehling, Rick

Aug 4, 2010, 1:05:24 AM8/4/10
to tonecl...@googlegroups.com
Discovery: you can horrify friends (or strangers) simply by summarizing the main plot elements of Oates' "Doll: A Romance of the Mississippi." Try it. It's fun to watch your friends turn green with NAUSEA. Still, it's a great story. And very wise. There is more than one way to lose one's innocence.
Rick
________________________________________Sent: Tuesday, August 03, 2010 8:24 PM
To: tonecl...@googlegroups.com

Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2010 15:39:06