mudwoman

wille...@hotmail.com

Apr 2, 2012, 12:34:56 PM4/2/12
to tonecl...@googlegroups.com
I am reading Mudwoman. It is by far the most perplexing and disturbing Oates novel yet and I've read all of them. The horror this woman experiences is beyond imaging. Even worst than nightmares. Ms. Oates where does this come from? I love this woman's work and can't imagine the experiences from which her novels are built.

Mic

Apr 3, 2012, 12:33:50 AM4/3/12
to tonecl...@googlegroups.com
This is interesting. Did "Mudwoman" turn you off?

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 2, 2012, at 9:34 AM, "wille...@hotmail.com" <wille...@hotmail.com> wrote:

I am reading Mudwoman. It is by far the most perplexing and disturbing Oates novel yet and I've read all of them. The horror this woman experiences is beyond imaging. Even worst than nightmares. Ms. Oates where does this come from? I love this woman's work and can't imagine the experiences from which her novels are built.

James Will

Apr 3, 2012, 6:12:54 AM4/3/12
to tonecl...@googlegroups.com
No, it did not turn me off. It is like observing art. When it is viewed from a new perspective you gain new insight.
 jw

Subject: Re: [JCO:1117] mudwoman. Re
From: prm...@gmail.com
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2012 21:33:50 -0700
To: tonecl...@googlegroups.com

Mic

Apr 3, 2012, 5:21:57 PM4/3/12
to tonecl...@googlegroups.com
I'll have to read it. Did u read Big Mouth, Ugly Girl?" Did u really read all her books?

Sent from my iPhone

Sherri L. Reid

Apr 3, 2012, 7:25:14 PM4/3/12
to tonecl...@googlegroups.com

Big Mouth, Ugly Girl is nothing like Mud Woman. Were you meaning to compare - because the two really can't be compared.

Sherri Reid

The best book reviews on-line! Subscribe at: http://bibliophage.weebly.com/bibliofiles.html

Apr 7, 2012, 12:45:40 AM4/7/12
to tonecl...@googlegroups.com
I am really disappointed in Mudwoman.  It is apparent JCO is simply stitching earlier novels and short stories together, presenting them in a random order, and tossing in major plotlines which she then abandons.  I have the greatest respect for JCO and I think everything fictional she has ever published, and this is simply beneath her abilities

Ellen

Sherri L. Reid

Apr 3, 2012, 8:00:16 PM4/3/12
to tonecl...@googlegroups.com

I have about 20 pages left of Mudwoman. Will be finishing it this evening.  It is really good - though I've had a hard time getting into it because there is a lot of politics and I'm just not into politics.

I absolutely LOVED Big Mouth Ugly Girl.

The best book reviews on-line! Subscribe at: http://bibliophage.weebly.com/bibliofiles.html