memory pools

Oehling, Rick

Feb 16, 2011, 2:22:35 PM2/16/11
to tonecl...@googlegroups.com
Hello all
I'm finding that the more fully I am drawn into "A Widow's Story" the less important the Maslin review is to me. When I read the review I was surprised how skimpy and flacid it was. (And who wants to be described as skimpy and flacid?)
On a more personal note, I was struck by this coincidence while reading "A Widow's Story" last night. The chapter "Memory Pools" caught me completely off-guard (though I had read it in the New Yorker excerpt) and I found myself crying. Not bawling, but definitely crying. Though I could not have said precisely why.
I turned the page and the next chapter was entitled "I'm not crying for any reason."
I suspect "A Widow's Story" brought no tears to Janet Maslin. Her loss.
Tears are a gift.
Rick

________________________________
Feb 17, 2011, 10:04:25 PM2/17/11
to tonecl...@googlegroups.com
I agree.  While book reviews can illuminate and open ones mind to new ways of interpeting a novel or story, I find some reviewers have an agenda at odds with providing helpful and meaningful commentary.   While I haven't read the entire novel,  I read an abstract which was published in the 13 December New Yorker magazine. The story was so moving, and so devastating.  JCO's ability to describe and convey critical, life altering experiences for the reader is equal to none other writer, at least for me.  It brought back memories of an experience with the death of a loved one back over 10 years ago.  While the details were different, in some ways, it felt the same  -- feeling the guilt of not being able to "save" your loved one, being out of control and vulnerable to the vagaries and capriciousness of life and death.
I plan to read the entire story shortly, although I've started reading "Bellefleur" and want to keep up the momentum.

For those interested in a balanced, objective, and ultimately more illuminating review of "The Widow's Story", I've attached the link to a recent review by Valarie Sayers  from the Washington Post Sunday Book World.

Pamela

--- On Wed, 16/2/11, Oehling, Rick <oehl...@uww.edu> wrote:
> > toneclusters+unsub...@googlegroups.com

> > For more options, visit this group at
> > http://groups.google.com/group/toneclusters?hl=en
> >
> > --

> > http://groups.google.com/group/toneclusters?hl=en

g.p...@hotmail.com

Feb 18, 2011, 8:02:50 AM2/18/11
to tonecl...@googlegroups.com
@ Pamela, wow. "... being out of control and vulnerable to the vagaries and capriciousness of life and death." In a philosophical way that is something we all have to deal and cope with on a daily basis.

That was touching. I'm moved.

From: pamela sloan <pamlo...@yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2011 03:04:25 +0000 (GMT)
Subject: Re: [JCO:1014] memory pools
toneclusters...@googlegroups.com

Adva Weinerman

Feb 18, 2011, 1:24:28 PM2/18/11
to tonecl...@googlegroups.com

It is interesting to note that many members of this little list show writing prowess not common in a few lists I am member of, how refreshing!

In Israel book critique that was very studious and high profile in the past, has now deteriorated and it seems that crities "just pour down words without a rhythm, nor a song to sing of any real substance"

Furthermore, while a book creates a new reality, it is nevertheless, the harebrain child of the writer. a wonderful child or a lame one, yet book critics sometimes are prone to dialogue with the texts as if they are portrayal of the real world, forgetting that they characters and places and events and plot have life of their own, and that a literary creation should be seen as such. not sure I am making any sense.

That perhaps is the little "tragedy" of the lady who criticized JCO, doing what I describe above.

I am so looking forward to reading her memoire.

Adva

govindaraj

Feb 21, 2011, 11:00:07 AM2/21/11
to tonecl...@googlegroups.com

hi all , i've  just started to study the short fictions of jco. and kindly share with me the special features of jco in your view. according to you  which is the most famous female character(s)  in her works. what is her style? and in which comportment she can be placed as per her writing focus of the society.
with regards.
govind

From: pamela sloan <pamlo...@yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2011 03:04:25 +0000 (GMT)