Unanswered Questions from Recent Joyce Carol Oates Presentation at Standford University Sept. 20

well...@msn.com

Oct 6, 2010, 5:50:58 PM10/6/10
to Tone Clusters: The Joyce Carol Oates Discussion Group
Recently I attended a presentation by Joyce Carol Oates at Standford
University on Sept 20, 2010.

I enjoyed her reading very much of the story about her mother's death
and the questions she answered
from the students; however, I was sorely disappointed that she did not
have time to briefly answer
5 questions from me.

Joyce, If you happen to see this post would you mind answring my
questions?

Thank you so much!

1. What process and detailed steps did you follow to get
your first book published with a major publisher?

2. Did you ever prepare a Proposal to get published?
Did you follow guidelines exactly? How many pages did it include
and what was in it - summary, your book’s table of contents, bio,
marketing plan, sample chapters or stories?

3. How much do you write what and how you want to write
vs. what sells or what you think your publishers want?

4. What are the three most important character attributes
to become a successful author? My answer: 1. Perseverance
2. Hard work 3. Ability to withstand adversity like rejection
or libel lawsuits.

5. What are the seven most important things to become
a successful author? My answer. 1. Read often. 2. Write often 3.
Present great ideas well. 4. Good with grammar and spelling. 5. Good
natural intelligence, 6. Have a great story to tell and know the
difference between a story and a great story filled with death, sex,
humor and a point shared with the heart.
7. Have others review your work often and incorporate their
ideas, fix their criticisms.