Fwd: NMTF and Earth Institute Event: MapKibera Project

Jennifer Hudon

Apr 15, 2011, 10:36:42 AM4/15/11
to tns_g...@googlegroups.com
Another mapping event! See below.

More information about the MapKibera Project here: http://mapkibera.org/

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Matthew Cruse <cruse.mr@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 3:45 AM
Subject: [sipa2012] NMTF and Earth Institute Event: MapKibera Project with Founders Mikel Maron and Erica Hagen - Tuesday April 19th 1-2 PM, Room TBA
To: SIPA Class of 2012 <sipa...@googlegroups.com>, sipa...@googlegroups.com, sipanewmed...@googlegroups.com

Hello all,

Please join the New Media Task Force and the Center for Sustainable Urban Development at the Earth Institute for a brown-bag discussion with the founders of MapKibera by the GroundTruth Initative as they present the Map Kibera project - citizen mapping and media in Nairobi's largest slum, and the potential of participatory technology for development.

Mikel Maron and Erica Hagen, founders of Map Kibera and GroundTruth Initiative, will present their work in Kenya with Map Kibera, featuring digital mapping using OpenStreetMap, citizen video journalism and SMS-based reporting in the Kibera and Mathare slums.

Tuesday April 19th 1-2 PM, Room TBA. I will follow up with the room # as soon as it has been finalized.

Matthew Cruse

Columbia University
School of International and Public Affairs
New Media Task Force - Co-Director
714.600.4506crus...@gmail.com
 mrc...@columbia.edu
Skype: matthew.cruse

--
Jennifer E. Hudon
c: 978.302.7908

Flyer_Map.pdf

Liz Barry

Apr 16, 2011, 6:45:37 PM4/16/11
to tns_g...@googlegroups.com
This looks great, I can't attend, but might see if Mikel and Erika will be available in the evening.
Liz

Liz Barry

Apr 19, 2011, 12:50:49 PM4/19/11
to tns_g...@googlegroups.com
Hi Geo Club,
Are we meeting tonight? when / where?

Previously in Geo Club we had talked about stitching Newark images into a map using Cartagen, (and ironically i doublechecked specifically with Jeff this morning that everything was up), but currently MediaTemple itself is down. which is insane. In the meantime, any sets of images (like Newark) can be put into a dropbox folder and shared with Jeff, and he will upload to mapmill.org so we can all sort them together once mediatemple is back up.

Let me know and i will join you guys wherever you are meeting.

Also, I invited Mikel and Erika to join us, but they had another commitment.

talk to you all soon,
Liz

m.ran...@gmail.com

Apr 19, 2011, 1:00:33 PM4/19/11
to tns_g...@googlegroups.com
Dear Liz,

I attended a weekend conference in D.C. and I'm pretty sure a meeting wasn't organized.

I think we should aim to meet either later this week or just next Tuesday. Coordinating at this point for this afternoon might just turn out to be fruitless.

Sound good?

Marco

From: Liz Barry <bar...@newschool.edu>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2011 12:50:49 -0400
Subject: Re: NMTF and Earth Institute Event: MapKibera Project

Liz Barry

Apr 19, 2011, 6:51:42 PM4/19/11
to tns_g...@googlegroups.com
Ok sounds good for next week! perfect.

Would you guys like to do a general mapmill-sorting and caragen-stitching demo? everyone could practice on their own favorite set of images and learn these open source tools for future use in a project of your own design. There have been lots of updates to these softwares since we covered them in workshop last fall and it might be good to get a refresher. I was also thinking we could advertise this as a public demo -- what do you think?

Liz

Jennifer Hudon

Apr 20, 2011, 9:39:27 PM4/20/11
to tns_g...@googlegroups.com
I'm interested in learning and exploring the new features. I really like the idea of opening it up to a larger public demo too. -j

Marco Rangel

Apr 25, 2011, 7:59:59 PM4/25/11
to tns_g...@googlegroups.com
Meeting tomorrow!

Hello everybody,

I totally meant to send out an email about this earlier but got caught up in some unexpected weekend news. If we could meet at 6:30pm on the 2nd floor of Arnold Hall, that would be great! Also, Liz mentioned working on a demo for stitching grassroots maps together and I hope we can still get to do that to, if it's still an option.

Hope to see everybody there!

Marco

Liz Barry

Apr 26, 2011, 5:53:16 PM4/26/11
to tns_g...@googlegroups.com
Sounds great! I'm not really teaching this, but i figure we can all open up our laptops and explore the online interfaces together.
I meant to send this earlier, but can someone zip and send (or dropbox) the Newark photos to Jeff@publiclaboratory?
He can put them on mapmill and we can sort them there, then export to Cartagen.
see you shortly,
Liz

Jennifer Hudon

Apr 26, 2011, 6:16:20 PM4/26/11
to tns_g...@googlegroups.com
Hey All - at the moment I'm working from home for ERDA and playing catch up since I was in DC all last week. I was hoping to make it to school for Geo Club, but unfortunately excel has taken over my schedule.

I just tried to zip the file and its going to take over 4 hours. I'm going to let it continue, but I don't think I'll be able to get it to Jeff before 6:30pm. Does anyone else have the images?

On another note, I'd really love to play around with the software updates with everyone, or at least a partner. Any chance there are other GIS/Geo Club things on the agenda so this could be pushed until next Tuesday? Or are there other Geo Club members who are around this weekend to play around (who aren't able to come today)? Side note: I completely understand if you have other images you want to work with and plan to continue to do so - by all means, don't let my schedule stop you. :)

Either way, I'll let you guys know as soon as the images are zipped. Have fun tonight!

Best,
Jen

Jennifer Hudon

Apr 26, 2011, 6:27:38 PM4/26/11
to tns_g...@googlegroups.com
Update: I was able to zip and dropbox the images (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/27389621/Flight%20over%20NJ.zip)

I just emailed Jeff the file. If they get up on time, would anyone want to video chat while working together? So I can work simultaneously but remotely?

Liz Barry

Apr 26, 2011, 7:17:57 PM4/26/11
to tns_g...@googlegroups.com
Hey Jen,
No worries on the Newark images, let's aim for next week.
good thing too because Cartagen is a little wonky today (no zoom control, not linked up to MapMill yet, etc).
We are going to have an open discussion session on the 2nd floor.
good luck,
Liz