April 9th - St. Waudru of Mons, OSB Widow (RM)

Waldtraud

Apr 9, 2010, 1:04:36 PM4/9/10
April 9th - St. Waudru of Mons, OSB Widow (RM)
(Also known as, Waldetrudis, Waltrude, Vaudru)

Died April 9, c. 686-688. The family of Saint Waudru, patroness of Mons
(Belgium), was amazingly holy, too. Both her parents (Walbert and Bertille)
and
her sister (Aldegund) were canonized. Her four children were also declared
saints (Landericus, Dentelin, Aldetrude, and Madelberte) and so was her
husband
(Madelgaire).

Madelgaire was the count of Hennegau (Hainault), and one of the courtiers of
King Dagobert I. After their children were born both he and Waudru longed to
live lives totally devoted to meditation and prayer. He retired to an abbey
he
had founded at Haumont near Maubeuge, where he took the name Vincent. For
two
additional years, Waudru remained in the world, devoting herself to the care
of
the poor and the sick under the direction of Saint Gislenus.

After Madelgaire's death, Waudru received the religious veil from Saint
Autbert
in 656, built a tiny home for herself near Castriloc (Châteaulieu), and,
giving
away her possessions, lived there alone. Though she clung to her solitude,
her
great wisdom and piety meant that countless men and women pressed on her for
advice. Eventually Waudru had so many followers that she was obliged to
found
her own convent at Châteaulieu. She dedicated this convent to the Mother of
Jesus, and around it grew the present town of Mons. By the time of Waudru's
death she had become famous not only for her charity but also for her
miraculous
powers of healing, her patience in the face of trials, continual fasting,
and
prayer. Her relics are considered the most precious treasure of the church
that
bears her name in Mons (Attwater, Benedictines, Bentley, Encyclopedia,
Husenbeth, Walsh).

In art, Saint Waudru is depicted protecting her children under her mantle,
offering her husband a crucifix, and refusing a crown of roses (Roeder). She
is
venerated in Mons (Roeder).

This Version taken from:
http://www.saintpatrickdc.org/ss/0409.shtml

Saint Quote:
"One ounce of the Cross is worth more than a million pounds of prayer. One
day
of crucifixion is worth more than a hundred years of all other exercises. It
is
worth more to remain a moment upon the Cross, than to taste the delights of
Paradise"
--Ven. Sister Maria Vittoria Angelini

St Bridget once received and bore patiently a succession of trials from
various
persons. One of them made an insulting remark to her; another praised her in
her
presence, but complained of her in her absence; another calumniated her;
another
spoke ill of a servant of God, in her presence, to her great displeasure;
one
did her a grievous wrong, and she blessed her; one caused her a loss, and
she
prayed for her; and a seventh gave her false information of the death of her
son, which she received with tranquillity and resignation. After all this,
St.
Agnes the Martyr appeared to her, bringing in her hand a most beautiful
crown
adorned with seven precious stones, telling her that they had been placed
there
by these seven persons. Then she put it upon her head and disappeared. How
could
so much have been gained by any other exercise?

(Taken from the book "A Year with the Saints". April - Patience)

Bible Quote
49 But one of them, named Caiphas, being the high priest that year, said to
them: You know nothing. 50 Neither do you consider that it is expedient for
you
that one man should die for the people, and that the whole nation perish
not. 51
And this he spoke not of himself: but being the high priest of that year, he
prophesied that Jesus should die for the nation. (John 11:49-51)

<><><><>
NOVENA TO OUR LADY OF PERPETUAL HELP

1. Behold, O Mother of Perpetual Help, at thy feet a wretched sinner,
who has recourse to thee and trusts in thee. O Mother of mercy,
have pity on me; I hear all men call thee the refuge and hope of sinners:
be therefore my refuge and my hope. Help me for the love of Jesus Christ:
hold out thy hand to a fallen wretch, who commends himself to thee and
dedicates himself to be thy servant forever. I praise and thank God, who
of His great mercy hath given me this confidence in thee, a sure pledge
of my eternal salvation. Alas, it is only too true that in the past I have
fallen miserably, because I did not come to thee. I know that with thy help
I shall conquer; I know that thou wilt help me, if I commend myself to
thee;
but I am fearful lest in the occasions of sin I shall forget to call upon
thee
and so I shall be lost. This grace, then, do I ask of thee;
for this I implore thee, as much as I can and know how to do; namely,
that in the assaults of hell I may ever run to thy protection and may say to
thee:
Mary, help me; Mother of Perpetual Help, permit me not to lose my God.

Hail Mary, three times.

2. O Mother of Perpetual Help, grant me ever to be able to call upon thy
powerful name, since thy name is the help of the living and the salvation of
the dying. Ah, Mary most pure, Mary most sweet, grant that thy name from
this day forth may be to me the very breath of life. Dear Lady, delay not to
come to my assistance whenever I call upon thee; for in all the temptations
that assail me, in all the necessities that befall me, I will never leave
off calling upon thee, ever repeating: Mary, Mary. What comfort, what
sweetness, what confidence, what tenderness fills my soul at the sound of
thy name, at the very thought of thee! I give thanks to our Lord, who for my
sake hath given thee a name so sweet, so lovable, so mighty. But I am not
content merely to speak thy name; I would utter it for very love of thee; it
is my desire that love should ever remind me to name thee,
Mother of Perpetual Help.

Hail Mary, three times.

3. O Mother of Perpetual Help, thou art the dispenser of every grace that
God grants us in our misery; it is for this cause that He hath made thee so
powerful, so rich, so kind, that thou mightest assist us in our miseries.
Thou art the advocate of the most wretched and abandoned sinners, if they
but come unto thee; come once more to my assistance, for I commend myself
to thee. In thy hands I place my eternal salvation; to thee I entrust my
soul.
Enroll me among thy most faithful servants; take me under thy protection
and it is enough for me: yes, for if thou protect me, I shall fear nothing;
not
my sins, for thou wilt obtain for me their pardon and remission; not the
evil spirits, for thou art mightier than all the powers of hell; not even
Jesus, my Judge, for He is appeased by a single prayer from thee. I fear
only that through my own negligence I may forget to recommend myself to
thee and so I shall be lost. My dear Lady, obtain for me the forgiveness of
my
sins, love for Jesus, final perseverance and the grace to have recourse to
thee at all times, O Mother of Perpetual Help.

Hail Mary, three times.