March 26th - St. Macartin of Clogher, Bishop

Traudel

Mar 26, 2010, 12:47:33 PM3/26/10
March 26th - St. Macartin of Clogher, Bishop
(also known as Macartan, MacCartan, Maccarthen)

Died c. 505; feast day formerly March 24. Saint Macartin (in Irish is Aedh
mac Carthin) was an early disciple and companion of Saint Patrick during the
latter's missions into pagan territory. He is said to have been consecrated
bishop of Clogher in Tyrone by Patrick in 454. It is said that Saint Brigid,
Macartin's niece, was present at the founding of the see.

Macartin is also one of the earliest Irish saints to be known as a
miracle-worker. His holiness is revealed not so much by any vita, which are
non-existent, but by the high veneration in which he is held. Saint Bede
records that the earth was taken from his grave as holy relics. His Office
is the only one to survive from an Irish source.

A reliquary, called the Great Shrine of Saint Mac Cairthinn, which was
designed to contain relics of the True Cross as well as his bones, has been
altered over the centuries but still survives as the "Domnach Airgid" in the
National Museum. It's inner yew box was given to Macartin by Patrick
together with the latter's episcopal staff and Bible.

The Cloch-Oir (Golden Stone), from which this ancient diocese takes its
name, was a sacred ceremonial stone to the druids, It was given to Macartin
by an old pagan noble, who had harassed Macartin in every possible way until
the saint's patient love won the local ruler to the faith. The stone is
still preserved and the noble's son, Tighernach of Clones, succeed Macartin
as bishop (Benedictines, D'Arcy, Farmer, Healy, Kenney, Montague, Muirhead,
Needham).

Saint Quote:
God refuses only the person who does not admit his own weakness; He sends
away only the unhappy proud person. You must "hold him" well and strongly,
with a poor spirit, with a poor heart, with a life entirely poor...The life
of a soul who seeks true happiness clearly and indisputably depends on this:
that those who seek their joy in God are the ones who give joy to God.
--Saint Raphael Kalinowski

Bible Quote:
He who does not take up his cross and follow Me, is not worthy of Me.
(Matthew 10:38)

<<>><<>><<>>
The traditional Seven Offerings of the Most Precious Blood of Christ:

Opening prayer:

Eternal Father, I offer Thee the Most Precious Blood of Jesus Christ in
atonement for my sins, and in supplication for the holy souls in Purgatory
and for the needs of Holy Church.

Eternal Father! I offer Thee the Most Precious Blood of Jesus of Thy
well-beloved Son, my Saviour and my God, for my dear Mother the holy Church,
that she may enlarge her borders and be magnified among all the nations of
the earth; for the safety and well-being of her visible head, the sovereign
Roman Pontiff; for the cardinals, bishops, and pastors of souls, and for all
the ministers of Thy sanctuary.

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Ghost, as It was in
the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.

Blessing and thanksgiving be evermore to Jesus, Who with His Blood hath
saved us!

II. Eternal Father! I offer Thee the Most Precious Blood of Jesus, Thy
well-beloved Son, my Saviour and my God, for peace and union among all
Catholic kings, princes and leaders, for the humiliation of the enemies of
our holy Faith, and for the welfare of all Christian people.

Blessing and thanksgiving be evermore to Jesus, Who with His Blood hath
saved us!

III. Eternal Father! I offer Thee the Most Precious Blood of Jesus, Thy
well-beloved Son, my Saviour and my God, for the repentance of unbelievers,
for the uprooting of heresy, and for the conversion of sinners.

Blessing and thanksgiving be evermore to Jesus, Who with His Blood hath
saved us!

IV. Eternal Father! I offer Thee the Most Precious Blood of Jesus, Thy
well-beloved Son, my Saviour and my God, for all my kindred, friends, and
enemies; for the poor, the sick, and wretched, and for all for whom Thou, my
God, knoweth that I ought to pray, or wouldeth have me pray.

Blessing and thanksgiving be evermore to Jesus, Who with His Blood hath
saved us!

V. Eternal Father! I offer Thee the Most Precious Blood of Jesus, Thy
well-beloved Son, my Saviour and my God, for all who, this day, are passing
to the other life; that Thou wouldeth save them from the pains of hell, and
admit them quickly to the possession of Thy glory.

Blessing and thanksgiving be evermore to Jesus, Who with His Blood hath
saved us!

VI. Eternal Father! I offer Thee the Most Precious Blood of Jesus, Thy
well-beloved Son, my Saviour and my God, for all those who love this great
treasure, for those who join with me in adoring it and honoring it, and who
strive to spread devotion to it.

Blessing and thanksgiving be evermore to Jesus, Who with His Blood hath
saved us!

VII. Eternal Father! I offer Thee the Most Precious Blood of Jesus, Thy
well-beloved Son, my Saviour and my God, for all my wants, spiritual and
temporal, in aid of the holy souls in purgatory, and chiefly for those who
most loved this precious Blood, the price of our redemption, and who were
most devout to the sorrows and pains of most holy Mary, our dear Mother.

Blessing and thanksgiving be evermore to Jesus, Who with His Blood hath
saved us!

(Conclusion) Glory be to the Blood of Jesus; now and forever, and thoughout
all ages! Amen. +