October 20th - Blessed James of Strepar

Waldtraud

Oct 20, 2009, 1:14:41 PM10/20/09
October 20th - Blessed James of Strepar

James was born in the 14th century of a noble Polish family of Strepar and
was educated in a Christian manner by his pious parents. To escape the
dangers of the world, he entered the poor order of St. Francis when he was a
young man. Very soon he became distinguished among his brethren for eminent
virtue, rare attainments, and zeal for the salvation of souls.

The neighboring realm of Russia presented at that time a wide field for the
exercise of his zeal. Partly it was still inhabited by heathens; and where
the Catholic Church had flourished for centuries, Greek schismatics had long
been endeavoring to win the people from the Mother Church at Rome. With the
consent of his superiors James went to Russia to preach the Gospel and to
save the faithful from going astray. About 1360, he had a share in the
organization of a special group of Franciscan missionaries called Societas
Peregrinantium or Travelers for Christ, who did excellent work in Russia.
Wallachia, and Podolia, and in 1401 extended their activities also to the
Tatars near the Caspian Sea and other parts of Asia.

Father James' missionary efforts were so successful, and his apostolic
virtues were so pronounced, that on the death of the archbishop of Halicz,
the pope named him his successor at the request of the king of Poland in
1392. Only because he was compelled, did James accept the dignity. But even
as a bishop he wore the Franciscan habit and as far as possible continued
his missionary labors.

To preserve the Catholics of the old and the newly acquired districts in
Christian truth, he built many new churches and convents. His large income
was used only for this purpose and for the support of the poor.

To secure God's blessing on the territory entrusted to his spiritual care,
he considered nothing more helpful than veneration of the Mother of God.
Next to God he placed his confidence in her. Instead of the family
coat-of-arms, he had the image of Mary engraved on his seal; everything he
prescribed for his diocese was to have the seal of Mary. He had her image
also on his pastoral ring. Every evening devotions were held in her honor in
the cathedral or wherever he chanced to be; and he always attended the
services. He urged the people to attend these devotions, as well as special
devotions of adoration of the Blessed Sacrament, for which he issued special
regulations and granted indulgences.

James was also mindful of the temporal welfare of his flock. In order to
check the frequent inroads of the Tatars, who were laying the country waste,
he proposed such excellent measures to the Polish parliament that he was
quite generally called the protector of the kingdom.

After a laborious and blessed episcopate of 19 years, God called him to
receive his heavenly reward in the year 1410. Clothed in the habit of the
order and wearing the marks of his episcopal dignity, he was entombed in the
Franciscan church at Lwow, to which the archbishopric had been transferred
from Halicz. When his grave was opened after 200 years his body and clothing
were found entirely incorrupt. Later the remains were removed to the
cathedral.

The continued veneration paid to him was formally approved by Pope Pius VI.

ON THE VENERATION OF MARY
1. The months of May and October are especially set aside by the Church for
the veneration of the Blessed Virgin Mary. We should not, however, limit our
veneration to these two months. Like Blessed James, we should venerate her
throughout the year and all our life. She was the mother of the primitive
Christian Church; the apostles and the first Christians at Jerusalem were
gathered about her when the Holy Spirit descended. She was the bond which
encircled the first Christian community with motherly love, when "the
multitude of believers had but one heart and one soul" (Acts 4:32). Blessed
James expected veneration of Mary to bring harmony to his diocese as well as
the fruits of the Holy Spirit. May those fruits also enter our hearts, our
homes, our congregations, and the whole Catholic Church. -- Is Mary truly
honored in your home?
2. Consider how God Himself honored Mary. He sent one of the most eminent
heavenly spirits, the archangel Gabriel, to her who at God's behest said to
her: "Hail, full of grace, the Lord is with you, blessed are you among
women... Thy Holy Spirit shall come upon you, and the Holy One who shall be
born of you shall be called the Son of God" (Luke 1:28-35).The Holy Trinity
thus entered into a most intimate union with her, since God the Father was
with her, the Holy Spirit overshadowed her, and the Son of God was to be
born of her. Could he who would not honor her still be called a child of
God? Filled with the Holy Spirit, she herself proclaims: "From henceforth
all generations shall call me blessed" (Luke 1:48). Great favors will surely
be granted to him who venerates her whom the Blessed Trinity has honored. O
Mary, Daughter of the heavenly Father, Mother of the Divine Son, and Spouse
of the Holy Spirit, pray for us!
3. Consider that Blessed James rightly expected the veneration of Mary to
bring special blessings particularly to his sacred ministry. With Mary's
blessing the apostles set out to preach the Gospel, and she continually
raised her hands to heaven both for those who preached the Faith and for
those who accepted the Faith from them. Catholic life flourishes the more
abundantly the more she is honored. Her maternal protection and powerful
intercession will obtain blessings for the shepherd so that he may guide his
sheep in a truly apostolic spirit, and for the flock so that it may lead a
Christian life and arrive at the blessed goal.

PRAYER OF THE CHURCH
O God, who didst wonderfully renew the apostolic spirit in Thy blessed
bishop and confessor James, we beseech Thee, grant us his intercession that
we may ever adhere to Thee in faith and in true service. Through Christ our
Lord. Amen.

Saint Quote:
Let us establish a permanent Spring season in our heart through 'yes' often
repeated to all of God's permissions and wills.
-Saint Frances Salesia

Bible Quote:
And he was withdrawn away from them a stone's cast; and kneeling down, he
prayed, Saying: Father, if thou wilt, remove this chalice from me: but yet
not my will, but thine be done. And there appeared to him an angel from
heaven, strengthening him. And being in an agony, he prayed the longer. And
his sweat became as drops of blood, trickling down upon the ground. And when
he rose up from prayer, and was come to his disciples, he found them
sleeping for sorrow. (Luke 22:41-45)

<><><><>
The twelfth prayer of St. Bridget:

O Jesus, mirror of truth, sign of unity, and bond of charity, remember the
multitude of Thy innumerable wounds wherewith Thou wast wounded from the
top of Thy head to the sole of Thy feet, and reddened with Thy most sacred
Blood, which magnitude of pain Thou didst endure on Thy virginal flesh for
us. O merciful Jesus. What more oughtest Thou do, and hast not
done? Engrave, I beseech Thee, O merciful Jesus, all Thy wounds in my
heart with Thy most precious Blood, that in them I may read Thy sorrow and
death, so that I may persevere duly to the end, until I see Thee in
eternity, Thou Who art the treasury of every real good and every joy, which
I beg Thee to grant me, O Sweetest Jesus, in Heaven.

Pater noster... Ave Maria...

<><><><>
The thirteenth prayer of St. Bridget:

O Jesus, most valiant Lion, immortal and unconquered King, remember the
pain which Thou didst endure when all the powers of Thy heart and body
entirely failed Thee, and inclining Thy head, Thou didst exclaim, "It is
consummated". By that anguish and pain, remember me in the last
consummation of my departure, when my soul shall be in anguish and my
spirit troubled. Amen.

Pater noster... Ave Maria...