Meditation for troubled times:

Weedy

May 2, 2014, 12:42:44 AM5/2/14
Meditation for troubled times:

I will try to make the world better and happier by my presence in it. I will try to help other people find the way God wants them to live. I will try to be on the side of good, in the stream of righteousness, where all things work for good. I will do my duty persistently and faithfully, not sparing myself. I will be gentle with all people. I will try to see other people's difficulty and help them to correct it. I will always pray to God to act as interpreter between me and the other person. I pray that I may live in the spirit of prayer. I pray that I may depend on God for the strength I need to help me to do my part in making the world a better place.
--From Twenty-Four Hours a Day

<<>><<>><<>>
May 2nd - SS. Hesperus and Zoe

The Holy Martyrs Hesperus, his Wife Zoe, and their Children Cyriacus and Theodulus suffered for their faith in Christ in the second century, during the persecution under Hadrian (117-138). They had been Christians since their childhood, and they also raised their children in piety. They were all slaves of an illustrious Roman named Catullus, living in Attalia, Asia Minor. While serving their earthly master, the saints never defiled themselves with food offered to idols, which pagans were obliged to use.

Once, Catullus sent Hesperus on business to Tritonia. Sts Cyriacus and Theodulus decided to run away, unable to endure constant contact with pagans. St. Zoe, however, did not bless her sons to do this. Then they asked their mother's blessing to confess their faith in Christ openly, and they received it. When the brothers explained to Catullus that they were Christian, he was surprised, but he did not deliver them for torture. Instead, he sent them with their mother to St. Hesperus at Tritonia, hoping that the parents would persuade their children to deny Christ. At Tritonia, the saints lived in tranquility for a while, preparing for martyrdom.

All the slaves returned to Attalia for the birthday of Catullus' son, and a feast was prepared at the house in honor of the pagan goddess Fortuna. Food was sent to the slaves from the master's table, and this included meat and wine that had been sacrificed to idols. The saints would not eat the food. Zoe poured the wine upon the ground and threw the meat to the dogs. When he learned of this, Catullus gave orders to torture Zoe's sons, Sts Cyriacus and Theodulus.
The brothers were stripped, suspended from a tree, and raked with iron implements before the eyes of their parents, who counseled their children to persevere to the end.

Then the parents, Sts Hesperus and Zoe, were subjected to terrible tortures. Finally, they threw all four martyrs into a red-hot furnace, where they surrendered their souls to the Lord. Their bodies were preserved in the fire unharmed, and angelic singing was heard, glorifying the confessors of the Lord.

<><><><>
Blessed are the meek, for they shall possess the earth. -Matt. 5:4

"There is nothing which edifies others so much as charity and kindness, by which, as by the oil in the lamp, the flame of good example is kept alive"
--St. Francis de Sales

We read of St. Francis Xavier that his brother Jesuits often visited him, only to enjoy his admirable mildness.

(Taken from the book "A Year with the Saints". May - Meekness)

Bible Quote
Tell ye the daughter of Sion: Behold thy king cometh to thee, meek, and sitting upon an ass, and a colt the foal of her that is used to the yoke. (Matthew 21:5)

<><><><>
What do we know?

Do we know how to love God? Can we tell and show our children and our neighbour how to love God? Our spare time--to whom do we give it; to God Who is the most loveable and will not accept half-love, nor unrequited love, or to...?

"Blessed is he who has received from God the science of the Saints. The science of the Saints is, to know how to love God. How many in the world are well versed in literature, in mathematics, in foreign and ancient languages! But what will all this profit them, if they know not how to love God? 'Blessed is he, said St. Augustine, who knows God, even if he knows nothing else.'

"He that knows God and loves Him, though he be ignorant of what others know, is more learned than all the learned, who know not how to love God.

"O my true and perfect lover, where shall I find one who has loved me as much as Thou hast loved me? In the past I have lost my time in learning many things which have profited my soul nothing; and I have thought little of knowing how to love Thee. I see that my life has been lost."

--St. Alphonsus de Liguori (The 'Useful' Doctor, 1696-1787) -"St. Alphonsus' Devout Reflections", [Burns & Oates, 1901, p.19]: