11 Days Until Hearing -- TM NEEDS EMAILS AND PEOPLE AT HEARING

John C Black

Jun 12, 2015, 10:49:35 AM6/12/15

11 Days to go.

WE NEED EMAILS AND PEOPLE AT THE HEARING.

6:00pm Tuesday June 23rd…. the Tuesday of Triennial Week…. Klamath County will decide TM’s future.  We need people to come to the hearing.  Mark your calendars.  The hearing is held in the Board of County Commissioner’s hearing room on the 2nd floor at 6:00pm at 305 Main Street in Klamath Falls . Sometimes the front door gets locked, but the rear door is left unlocked.

Train Mountain has applied to Klamath County to re-zone 40 acres around Central Station from the Forestry zone to a new Train Park zone designed for Train Mountain.  We need this re-zone.

We need you to email support to Mark Gallagher — mgall...@co.klamath.or.us — saying that you support this re-zone request.  If you want to post a letter, his mail address is :  Mark Gallagher | Interim Planning Director | Klamath County Planning Department | 305 Main Street, 1st Floor, Klamath Falls, OR 97601

Letters might say :

Dear Mark,

I am writing to ask Klamath County to approve the Train Mountain land use application… amending the comprehensive plan, creating a Train Park zone, and re-zoning about 40 acres as a Train Park zoned support area for Train Mountain.

I support Train Mountain.  It is special.  It is the largest and longest model railroad in the world.  It attracts people  from all over the world.  Now that Train Mountain is a non-profit, it is building a terrific program to teach everyone about railroading.  More and more groups are using Train Mountain.  For example, the scouts are holding their big Camporee at Train Mountain.  This growing and successful project is great for the county.   To continue being successful, Train Mountain needs land use approval to conduct its activities.

This is the second time this issue has been considered. In April of 2014 Klamath County approved this request and also approved a track connected residential community.   The Oregon Dept of Land Conservation and Development (DLCD) did not like the residential development and blocked it.  Train Mountain has had to withdraw last year’s application and re-apply without the track connected residential community.

Please approve it again.  Nothing has changed.

Sincerely,

[your name]

Feel free expand the letter and to say why TM is important to you.

Last time we wrote 200+ letters.  We need to do the same this time.

All of TM is now zoned Forestry.  Many of TM’s activities are allowed as pre-existing non-conforming uses…. they are not able to be approved in the forestry zone.  They can exist as it, but they cannot be expanded.  This stops TM from fixing up Blue Caboose, moving the track shop, building museum and other buildings, installing restrooms and showers, and many other needed improvements.  TM needs to rezone the 40 acres around Central Station to operate and improve.

THIS IS IMPORTANT.  Please take the time to write.  It does not matter where you live or vote. Your letter/email and your presence at the hearing will really help.

Thank you for supporting Train Mountain.

John