TLA Toolbox: installation problem

Tianxiang Lu

May 4, 2016, 3:26:58 AM5/4/16
to tla...@googlegroups.com
Dear all,

a new student has met a problem with installing the toolbox.
An error has occurred. See the log file 1460971569881.log

         java environmentjava 6 java for osx 2015-001

        system vision OS X 10.11.4 (15E65)

Can anyone please help?

Best regards,

Ti

--
Dr. Tianxiang Lu

tla error.png
1460971569881.log

Markus Alexander Kuppe

May 4, 2016, 3:37:35 AM5/4/16
to tla...@googlegroups.com
On 04.05.2016 09:26, Tianxiang Lu wrote:
> a new student has met a problem with installing the toolbox.
> An error has occurred. See the log file 1460971569881.log
>
> * java environment**:**java 6 **(**java for osx 2015-001**)*
>
> system vision:OS X 10.11.4 (15E65)
>
> Can anyone please help?

Hi Ti,

the student has to install a newer Java (JRE). The Toolbox's minimum
requirement is Java 1.7. However, I suggest to install Java 1.8 [1] instead.

Cheers
Markus

[1]
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jre8-downloads-2133155.html

Stephan Merz

May 4, 2016, 3:37:48 AM5/4/16
to tla...@googlegroups.com
Dear Tianxiang,

Java 6 is outdated, please upgrade to Java 7 or 8. You may have to activate the new version as the default, e.g. http://stackoverflow.com/questions/21964709/how-to-set-or-change-the-default-java-jdk-version-on-os-x.

Hope this helps,
Stephan

<tla error.png><1460971569881.log>

inner...@gmail.com

Jun 16, 2017, 2:57:55 PM6/16/17
to tlaplus
This is an old question, but I struggled with the same issue and did resolve it eventually.
I'm running macOS Sierra, Version 10.12.5 (16F73).

== Here is the sequence of events, which I hope will be helpful:
After downloading the TLA+ toolkit, moving the app to the Applications folder using Finder, and double clicking on the TLA+ Toolbox.app icon I received an Apple alert saying that Java needed to be installed. Clicking on the learn more button took me to Apple's site where it directed me to install the legacy version of Java, which I did.
Then clicking on the TLA+ Toolbox.app icon brought up the TLA+ splash screen which was quickly replaced with the "An error has occurred" dialog box. Looking at the error log file showed that the Java version was 1.6 which I assume was the issue since the documentation states 1.8 is required for the toolkit.
I installed the JRE (jre-8u131-macosx-x64.dmg) and tried again, but the error still reported v1.6 was being used.
Next I installed the JDK (jdk-8u131-macosx-x64.dmg) and was able to launch the toolkit.

In the end I imagine I could have just installed the JDK from the start and all would have been fine. I was hoping to *not* have to install ~500MB of Java tools to run the app, but that's what it took.

- Tim

maku

Jun 18, 2017, 6:42:07 AM6/18/17
to tla...@googlegroups.com
On 16.06.2017 20:42, inner...@gmail.com wrote:
In the end I imagine I could have just installed the JDK from the start and all would have been fine. I was hoping to *not* have to install ~500MB of Java tools to run the app, but that's what it took.

Hi Tim,

if disk space is an issue, you should know that the Toolbox runs with the JRE [1]. Compared to the JDK, the JRE is smaller in size.

Stephan Merz

Jun 18, 2017, 8:57:12 AM6/18/17
to tla...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tim,

> I installed the JRE (jre-8u131-macosx-x64.dmg) and tried again, but the error still reported v1.6 was being used.

setting the default Java version on Mac OS can be a little tricky. An Internet search will reveal many recipes on how to do this. The easiest way is to use the "Java" tab in System Preferences, but I am not completely sure if you get this if you just install the JRE or if it only comes with the JDK.

Hope this helps,
Stephan

inner...@gmail.com

Jun 18, 2017, 11:33:26 AM6/18/17
to tlaplus
Initially I verified, through system preferences, that the Java version installed was version 8, but still got the error dialog saying I needed to install the legacy Apple Java when trying to run TLA+ toolkit.

As I mentioned, after installing the JRE and having the toolbox fail to load I tried changing versions using the command line but version 1.6 was the highest version available still. Then I installed the JDK and the command line java reported version 1.8 was installed. After that I was able to launch the toolkit.

I'm happy to have it working now, and am trying to learn TLA+. I feel like I'm the target demographic given Leslie's talks on the subject, and I'm disappointed I hadn't heard of TLA+ until two weeks ago. I've been designing digital logic RTL as well as low level firmware for a long while, but writing specs was not a priority at most companies I've been with. The argument was usually "The code is the spec".

Thanks for the responses!