Prospective Tiny Houser looking for more information on Portland laws

Jessica Witt

Jan 28, 2015, 12:27:22 AM1/28/15
to tiny-hous...@googlegroups.com
Hello all,
My husband and I are very interested in building a tiny house in Portland. We intend to have it built by Shelter Wise or Oregon Cottage Company and then delivering it into the city. We have friends with a great backyard that they have offered to us to land on in NE. The hardest part we are encountering is understanding Portland laws about them. It sounds like it's pretty much illegal. Can anyone provide some insight into the legalities?

And any advice as to how to avoid legal issues with the city? Any help would be much appreciated!!

-Jess & Scott

Linda Pope

Jan 28, 2015, 12:37:59 AM1/28/15
to tiny-hous...@googlegroups.com
I will let someone else answer, but they are not illegal, and they are not legal. Someone said a-legal. Build a good relationship with neighbors. The city as I understand it, looks the other way. There are those trying to work to get them to be legal. I also am looking to build SOON I hope!
Linda

Linda C. Pope, MLA, MS
503-939-4008 cell

“This much is clear to me. If I can’t change my own life in response to the greatest challenge now facing our human family, who can? And if I won’t make the effort to try, why should anyone else? So I’ve decided to start at home, and begin with myself. The question is no longer whether I must respond. The question is whether I can turn my response into an adventure…”

Kurt Hoelting, author of Circumference of Home

Lina Menard

Jan 28, 2015, 9:30:41 AM1/28/15
to tiny-hous...@googlegroups.com
Hello Jess and Scott,

Thanks for doing your due diligence to understand the legal ramifications of building and living in a tiny home. I've spent the past four years working to understand the regulations surrounding tiny homes. Between my urban planning land use masters degree and my work with Orange Splot, the Space Efficient Housing Working Group, and Oregon DEQ, I've collected a lot of information I can share. But of course, it's most helpful if it's pertinent to your little house dreams.

So I'd love to do a consultation with you to help you understand what's applicable to your situation. You can get the process started by signing up for a consultation on my website: http://www.nichedesignbuild.com/store/p1/2-Hour_Consultation.html. Then we can compare calendars and find a time that will work for us. I look forward to hearing from you soon!

Derin

Jan 28, 2015, 11:22:51 AM1/28/15
to tiny-hous...@googlegroups.com
Hey Jess and Scott,

Glad to hear you are considering us as your builder. Have you been out to our warehouse yet? Contact us for a tour and time chat. Typically we do a mini open house on Wednesday afternoons from 430-530pm depending on how many are scheduled to come out. We do ask that you contact us a few days before hand as we may be out on a site somewhere away from the warehouse.

Lastly a consult with Lina will certainly be money well spent, she is the one that is most informed about the legalities and how the city sees it.

Contact an...@shelterwise.com to set up a warehouse visit if Ya like

Thanks!

Derin

Sent from my iPhone

karinparramore

Jan 28, 2015, 11:41:27 AM1/28/15
to Derin, tiny-hous...@googlegroups.com
Wholeheartedly agree that Lina is your best resource for information regarding legalities and zoning. She has done a ton of research in that area.

Sndnig from phnoe, plaes excuse typos.

Sherry Domer

Jan 28, 2015, 11:47:13 AM1/28/15
to tiny-hous...@googlegroups.com, Derin
I whole heartily recommend Derin and company you won't find a more honest and plesant person to work with. My tiny house is built to last no short cuts were taken. Enjoy!
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiny-house-network/kyqyq0eb654up4q13iqaqb7o.1422463271991%40email.android.com.