Washer/Dryer all-in-one unit

Benn Kovco

Mar 3, 2014, 11:36:37 AM3/3/14
to tiny-hous...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,

I know most folks don't have and don't aspire to have laundry facilities in their tiny houses but for those who just cannot do without a clothes washing machine here is a clever unit that a friend shared with me. You put your clothes in and 4 hours later they come out clean and dry. A huge bonus is that it does not spew out warm moist air like a regular clothes dryer - it cleverly condenses the warm air from the dry cycle and sends the resulting water out through the water outlet.

Not for everyone but it is a great way of 'reducing' if you simply can't live without your own clothes washing facilities (and aren't interested in hand washing :-).

Regards,
Benn

Danielle DeRosa

Mar 3, 2014, 5:53:31 PM3/3/14
to tiny-hous...@googlegroups.com
That's a good find! Thanks, Benn!

Handmade jewelry, journals, costumes, and more!

Wade Smith

Mar 4, 2014, 10:33:44 PM3/4/14
to tiny-hous...@googlegroups.com
Hi Benn et al,

I never got around to a review, but I've been using a Panda XPB36 in my studio apartment for a few months and plan to use it in my tiny house as well. It's about two feet wide, two feet tall, and only 16 inches deep. I think it came in under $200 shipped. It's like an electric wonder wash plus the laundry alternative mini spin dryer in one, both of which I was considering before this was released about a year ago. It only takes 10 minutes to clean a (albeit tiny) load of laundry, and if you keep up with it every other day it works well. Because it doesn't have a heating element it only uses a maximum of 360 watts while washing and drying simultaneously and a typical load takes under 50 Wh. I use about 5 gallons of water to do my loads.

The reduced peak and sustained electrical characteristics, water usage, size, and cost were all great for my circumstances. I can see build quality, convenience, lint removal capabilities, and familiarity all being pros of the unit you linked to, but for me this was a nice compromise. Hope that helps!

- Wade
(PS: I think this is my first email to the group; I live in Portland and started building a 12 foot tiny house with a gambrel roof and bay windows this past summer. It's been on pause until I can put up my cedar siding and paint it, hopefully soon. I'm also really into electronics and have some interesting ideas for sensors and data logging stuff. Hi!)

On Mon, Mar 3, 2014 at 8:36 AM, Benn Kovco <benn...@gmail.com> wrote:

Patrick Wagstaff

Mar 5, 2014, 5:51:14 PM3/5/14
to tiny-hous...@googlegroups.com
Benn,

That unit looks great. This is the one I think I'm ultimately going to go with.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/splendide-2100xc-washer-dryer-combo-white/37344

It is small. But it is also vented, so the clothes dry faster.

Patrick

Jennie Bryant

Jun 16, 2014, 8:32:57 PM6/16/14
to tiny-hous...@googlegroups.com
These are all so cool (this one and those in comments.)  If we go with a tiny house, we'll need to be able to do laundry with two small kids and a pretty rural location.  (We might line dry, but in New England that's hard in winter, although i did it for the first 25 years of my life.)  Thanks for sharing!