Good Tiny House Plan Recommendations? (aside from Jay Schaeffer/Tumbleweed)

Erin Harrington

Feb 23, 2014, 4:04:46 PM2/23/14
to tiny-hous...@googlegroups.com
Hi. I have a 20' trailer and plan to build a Tiny House this summer. I have lots of nail-banging/power tool experience as a commercial fisherman, but no real construction experience. As a result, I will really rely on a good set of plans as I don't think I'll have the know-how/confidence to make major changes on my own.

I'd like some recommendations on good pre-designed plans. I know about Tumbleweed, of course, and Jay Schaeffer's new company. But I'm interested in any other leads.

Thanks a lot.
Erin from Alaska

Angela Ramseyer

Feb 23, 2014, 9:41:41 PM2/23/14
to tiny-hous...@googlegroups.com

Hi Erin,

Yes, of course! I highly recommend Portland Alternative Dwellings (PAD) and ShelterWise, both based out of Portland. I've taken workshops from them and Tumbleweed. Tumbleweed specializes in the big crowd rally. The two in Portland offer plans, hands-on workshops and are available for truly personal, quality service and assistance.

Incidentally, in case you weren't aware, Jay Shaffer has split off from Tumbleweed. He's now Four Lights Tiny Houses. I've heard good things, but have no direct experience with him.

If you want more, checkout tinyhousemap.com. If you close the side tab on their page, you can zoom in and look for icons for tiny builders/designers.

Hope this helps. Best of luck!

Cheers!
Angela

Amy Dinsmore

Feb 23, 2014, 9:49:29 PM2/23/14
to tiny-hous...@googlegroups.com, erinf...@gmail.com
Tinyhomebuilders.com is a great resource for videos, book and plans! Dan Louche is the owner.

Amy

Dee Williams

Feb 23, 2014, 10:46:38 PM2/23/14
to tiny-hous...@googlegroups.com
Hi Erin,

Sounds like you've already heard a lot of leads.  Tumbleweed, Four Lights Houses, and Dan Louche's company.  All good.

There are also a lot of companies out there who could work with you to design your space. You could get plans off the shelf, but in my experience you're still going to want to make this little house your own.  It might be worth the money to work with a good designer, or take a class on that.  PAD offers workshops and we do a lot of work with Shelterwise and Nichedesignbuild.

Other builders might also be able to help steer you clear.  Angela already chimed in and has a wealth of knowledge about what worked and didn't in her design; same goes with Brittany Yunker of Baysidebungalow.com.  She's also a fisher-person turned carpenter.  There's also Christopher and Malissa Tack of Tinytackhouse.com.  They've got awesome designs and are a wealth of knowledge.

Other local resources:  Seattle Tiny Homes, Oregon Cottage, Zyl Vardos... just to name a few.

Hope this helps.  Please keep us posted!

Cheers!

Dee Williams
Portland Alternative Dwellings

Erin Harrington