Water/Electrical hookup

Benn Kovco

Mar 26, 2014, 1:15:23 PM3/26/14
to tiny-hous...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,

Just pondering the water/electrical coming into a tiny house. RV's almost always have their hookups conveniently located on the side, I'm assuming because that's convenient - if you're driving around in your RV and needing to hook and un-hook water and electric every other day then you want it to be easy.

I'm finding it hard to come at punching a hole in the side of my tiny house for the sake of a convenience that I wouldn't ever take advantage of - why not just bring the plumbing and electrical up through the sub-floor?  I certainly can't be the first person to have this idea so I'm curious about others thoughts on this - I could easily just be missing some info. Is there an RV code that says the plumbing and electric must come through a side-wall and not the floor?

Appreciate the feedback.

Regards,
Benn

Angela Ramseyer

Mar 26, 2014, 1:56:51 PM3/26/14
to tiny-hous...@googlegroups.com

Hi Benn,

If I'm not mistaken, Brittany Yunker has Bayside Bungalow set up with water feed through the floor.

I have mine on the side, but have often thought it would have been better plumbed through the floor. I'll be interested to read other responses.

Cheers!
Angela

Portland Pedals

Mar 26, 2014, 2:56:38 PM3/26/14
to tiny-hous...@googlegroups.com

I used the wheel well to send a pigtail from our breaker box for easy plug in!

Cheers,
Ryan

Derin Williams

Mar 26, 2014, 4:51:14 PM3/26/14
to tiny-hous...@googlegroups.com, tiny-hous...@googlegroups.com
Ben,

When ever I have had an RV inspection on one of our tiny homes I have never had the inspector comment on where the connections are at. The miter box has its water connection in the wheel well but has proved difficult to thread on and off. Electrical connections if not the twist and lock could eventually fall off, but most RV and marine 30amp to 50amp hookups are twist locks. People use pig tails all the time for their tiny homes, they seem to work fine.

Lastly probably one of the reasons some don't go up through the bottom is their panel is usually located in the exterior stud wall. The bottom plate of the stud wall typically lands on the trailer frame and drilling up through that without hitting the trailer wiring might prove difficult.

Every tiny house is so different that no one application of hookups fits all tiny homes, just don't put them on the roof, that's a bad idea;)

Sent from my iPhone