Tiny insurance breakthroughs?

Angela Ramseyer

Dec 15, 2013, 1:57:32 PM12/15/13
to tiny-hous...@googlegroups.com

I am currently living in the tiny house I built and am consequently aware of the limited insurance options available. I  am interested in talking with others who may already be actively working to build new tiny policy models, if there are any. Any resources and/or contacts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Angela Ramseyer
MightyMicroBuilt.com

Tiny House Community

Dec 15, 2013, 2:59:28 PM12/15/13
to tiny-hous...@googlegroups.com, Ryan Mitchell
Hi Angela,

Ryan Mitchell of The Tiny Life is starting a tiny house foundation whose primary goal is to offer insurance for tiny houses.

Regards,
Elaine

Angela Ramseyer

Dec 15, 2013, 3:24:25 PM12/15/13
to tiny-hous...@googlegroups.com

Thanks Elaine! Much appreciated!

Angela

Derin Williams

Dec 15, 2013, 3:31:14 PM12/15/13
to tiny-hous...@googlegroups.com
Foremost insurance has insured a few tiny homes I have built. You have to provide pictures of the construction process plus they come out and do an inspection. Hope this helps.

Tiny House Community

Dec 15, 2013, 3:40:14 PM12/15/13
to tiny-hous...@googlegroups.com
You’re welcome Angela!
Derin, do you have a link or a phone number for Foremost Insurance?

Angela Ramseyer

Dec 15, 2013, 3:44:40 PM12/15/13
to tiny-hous...@googlegroups.com

Thanks Derrin, it does.

Don't know if you remember me. I was at the McMinnville, Casa Pequena. I'm still trying to figure out how to move to Portland and will be visiting this week to meet with Lina and Kenny on TinyHomes.com stuff. Would love to drop in and hear what Shelter Wise is up to, if you're available.

Cheers!
Angela

Benn Kovco

Dec 16, 2013, 10:09:43 PM12/16/13
to tiny-hous...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,

I'm curious if anyone out there who has had their Tiny House certified and registered as an RV could comment on the insurance process - if you get RV certification is it as simple as just telling your insurance company you have an RV worth X dollars?

Regards,
Benn

Lina Menard

Dec 17, 2013, 1:01:48 PM12/17/13
to tiny-hous...@googlegroups.com, Eric Mueller
Hi everyone,

If you live in Washington or Oregon and you'd like to get insurance for your tiny house, contact Eric Mueller, Farmers Insurance, 503-863-5828, emue...@farmersagent.com

Eric is my insurance agent and he's fabulous to work with! When I talked with him today he confirmed that Foremost is the best bet right now. They insure RVs, specialty houses, and boats. Tiny homes are a new market for Foremost and, as Derin noted, they'll require photographs. But it's a GREAT start on tackling this tricky issue!

Dee Williams

Dec 17, 2013, 1:35:28 PM12/17/13
to tiny-hous...@googlegroups.com, tiny-hous...@googlegroups.com, Eric Mueller
Hi all just wanted to weigh in on some concerns that I have.

I've been working with Darrell Grantz also a farmers insurance agent in Portland. He has found that foremost will not insure a tiny house residence unless it has the RV certification.

We may be getting mixed messages from insurance agents. Probably because it is such a new market.

I would encourage you to be very specific about the fact that this will be a place you reside. And that you built it your self. The RV certification allows the structure and trailer to be considered for RV insurance but again you need to be specific with your insurance agent that it is a homemade RV.

There are a lot of people paying for what they think will be good protection but according to some insurance agents it really won't work if the place burns down or otherwise is subject to a claim.

Good luck in all of this!! Dee

Sent from my iPhone