Propane On Demand Water Heaters

Tammy Lynne

May 13, 2016, 2:25:24 PM5/13/16
to Tiny House Network
Care to share your experiences with water heaters? I was planning on going with a Propane one but I'm on the grid and have freezing temps in the winter. The RV500 has a dc powered heater fan so that won't work or is there a way to make it work? Anyone else on the grid using a propane water heater?

Ian Dorresteyn

May 13, 2016, 4:04:58 PM5/13/16
to tiny-hous...@googlegroups.com
I have an ecotemp on demand hot water heater that I don't love because it needs ventilation. I mounted it in a vented box outside my house, but so cold days I need to put a heat lamp on it to keep pipes from freezing.

If you're on the grid, I might just go electric.

Sent from my iPhone

On May 13, 2016, at 11:25 AM, Tammy Lynne <tam...@gmail.com> wrote:

Care to share your experiences with water heaters? I was planning on going with a Propane one but I'm on the grid and have freezing temps in the winter. The RV500 has a dc powered heater fan so that won't work or is there a way to make it work? Anyone else on the grid using a propane water heater?

Audrey Addison

May 13, 2016, 4:40:43 PM5/13/16
to Tiny House Network
We have the  Rinnai V53e  (propane/ rated exterior, $600) water heater and it has survived three (Portland) winters with no problems. It's been great. It replaced our Eccotemp water heater that broke due to freezing temps (our builder put the inside model on the outside exposed).

We considered (and have heard good things about) the RV500, but the cost is steep and we already had the connections on the back of the house for the other. Considered electric, but again...already had the gas connections.

C Bell

May 15, 2016, 10:32:22 PM5/15/16
to tiny-hous...@googlegroups.com
Insulated floor (foam) flat deck 16' ready to build on.  Electric brakes not hooked up but not needed until a structure is built on it.  Just installed tail lights.  Only $1500.  If you've done your research you know the trailer can be quite costly before you even start framing.
Could be worth the trip to beautiful Vancouver Island.  Check Craigslist link for more info and pics.

Leann Waggoner

May 16, 2016, 10:55:46 AM5/16/16
to tiny-hous...@googlegroups.com
I use a 10gl Atwood water heater that is both gas and electric. It uses way less propane than the on demand versions and even when its off the water stays hot because of how well its insulated. Also it only take 10-15 min to heat up the water. So its not on demand but it heats the water quick enough for my taste. I researched this one for months too and I went this route because I was more concerned about my propane use and was hoping for something that could also go off grid. I knew that I would be connected to city grid a times and may eventually end up out in the woods where power was not an option. The only down side is where to put the thing when you are already crammed for space. There are other similar water heaters out there that you can look up but here a link to some info on them if your interested.

Leann Waggoner

Portland State University Master in Social Work Candidate, 2016
          Yoga teacher & Idea Machine
Committed to multigenerational community collaboration through service and learning.

“You were given this life because you were strong enough to live it.” -Unknown

Mt Smythe

Aug 1, 2018, 1:53:44 PM8/1/18
to Tiny House Network
Hi Tammy,

There are a variety of different types and forms of Tankless Water Heaters, and if propane is the route you would prefer to go, there are a few great products out there, which I'm sure would meet your budget and/or size requirements.  Just be sure to keep an eye on their capacity and 'outflow' details, to ensure they meet the amount of water you intend to use.  This is good reference on Tankless Water Heaters which would be a good starting point to getting a perspective on the whole idea of water heating in general, and of course, the tankless options in general.

I have a lot of personal experience in this area, so if you have any questions, don't be shy to get in touch, and will do my best to give you any experience or perspective I have that may be helpful.