TI-89ti vs TI-Nspire CX CAS Review

elkar

Jul 17, 2011, 9:19:46 PM7/17/11
to tinspire
Source http://www.techpoweredmath.com/review-ti-89-vs-ti-nspire-cas/

Looking for a great deal on the TI-Nspire CX CAS? You will get the
best price when you buy your TI-Nspire CX CAS on Ebay.

I originally ran this article in the summer of 2010, but with the new
TI-Nspire CX CAS release and TI-Nspire OS 3.0, I gave it a refresh to
include the latest information about these two calculator platforms.
If you’re heading into calculus, there’s a good chance you’re
wrestling with the question of the TI-89 Titanium vs. the TI-Nspire CX
CAS. They are the most popular Texas Instruments graphing calculators
with a computer algebra system.

I understand the dilemma. A few years ago I had to make a decision
comparing the TI-Nspire CAS vs. TI-89 Titanium when our math team was
going to upgrade from our older TI-92′s. Let me walk you through the
basics of these calculators and how I made my decision.
Computer Algebra Systems

Both of these calculators feature a Computer Algebra System, or CAS.
That means you can enter variables like x or y, and the calculator is
capable of performing operations such as simplifying or solving
equations like x + x = 2x This is fantastic in situations involving
equations that are difficult to solve by hand.

On the other hand, you need to be careful when buying a CAS enabled
calculator. Some teachers won’t allow them in class because they are
so powerful. They are also not allowed on the ACT, although most
models, including all versions of the TI-89 and TI-Nspire CAS models,
are just fine for the SAT and AP tests. That makes these calculators a
popular choice for calculus classes.
TI-89 Titanium Edition

The TI-89 has been around for a while, and the Titanium Edition is the
latest version. Since it’s been on the market for many years, there
are many programs and apps available for the device, a lot of which
are available on the Texas Instruments website at no cost.

When I originally wrote this article, the TI-89 Titanium had one big
advantage over the TI-Nspire CAS–3D graphing. That’s no longer the
case. Since TI-Nspire OS 3.0 was released, all TI-Nspire models are
capable of 3D graphs, taking away the biggest advantage

The TI-89 has a drop down menu system that I really like. It’s
intuitive and easy to use. Apparently it’s been very popular because
the menu system on the TI-Nspire CAS has a lot in common with it.

The biggest drawback with the TI-89 is it’s lack of “mathprint”
inputting, also known as pretty print. You can set the calculator up
so that when you press enter, your work will be reformatted to look
like what you see in the book. Unfortunately, you can’t do the inputs
that way (see right). If you’re a calculus student, that’s probably
not a big deal to you with exponents or radicals. However, when you’re
learning summations and integrals, it is one more thing to worry
about, and it can be hard to remember what each term in the list of
inputs represents.
TI-Nspire CX CAS

The TI-Nspire CAS had been on the market for just a few years when the
TI-Nspire CX CAS was announced in early 2011. The CX is a color
version of the TI-Nspire CAS. Like all versions of the TI-Nspire CAS,
it’s menu system and command structure borrows heavily from the
TI-89.

The biggest advantages with the TI-Nspire CAS series are with
inputting expressions and graphing. In terms of inputting
expressions, there are templates for summations, integrals, and just
about anything else you’d encounter in calculus (see screen shot
below). With graphing, I love the fact that there are fewer commands
to learn in order to find extrema and intercepts. All you have to do
is use the trace feature and the Nspire CX CAS will “lock in” on those
important points. Considering how often you need to find those points
in a calculus class, this is a big advantage.

When TI released OS 3.0, all of the software features added for the
new TI-Nspire CX CAS also became available for the older “grayscale”
versions. That’s true whether it’s the “clickpad” or “touchpad”
version. So if you have the opportunity to buy or borrow an older
grayscale cheap, just update the operating system to 3.0, and the only
thing you’ll be missing out on is color. If you’re buying new, I
strongly suggest paying the extra few dollars for the CX version since
it has color, comes with a rechargeable battery, and is thinner and
lighter.

At one point, there was also the concern by some calculus students
that the TI-Nspire CX CAS was missing differential equations
capabilities. Those abilities have been added to all TI-Nspire CAS
versions, so this is no longer an issue. However, since the TI-89
Titanium is older and more of a programmer friendly calculator, you
may find that there are calculus apps/programs available for it that
are not available for the TI-Nspire CX CAS.

For teachers, the TI-Nspire CAS series has dynamic capabilities that
can’t be matched by any other graphing calculator. As a simple
example, on one screen you can have a graph, its equation, and its
table. Use the point and click touchpad to drag the graph into another
shape, and the equation and table will adjust in sync. The
applications of this kind of interconnectedness between data
representations are endless.
Other Options

The TI-92+ and TI Voyage 200 are additional options if you are looking
for a TI calculator with CAS capabilities. They are very similar, but
you can’t find the discontinued TI-92+ in stores any more, only the
Voyage. Their menu system and capabilities are almost the same as the
TI-89 Titanium Edition. Just keep in mind that because they feature
QWERTY keyboards, they are banned from virtually every standardized
test.
Bottom Line

As much as I love both of these calculators, in a head to head battle,
I’ve got to recommend the TI-Nspire CX CAS. I went with the Nspire CAS
for my math team and have found it to be a great decision. It’s got
all of the latest bells and whistles, a much better display, and I
find it easier to use than the TI-89 Titanium (and so do students),
mainly due to it’s graphing interface and math print inputting. Now
that Texas Instruments has given differential equations, 3D graphing,
and color capabilities to the TI-Nspire CX CAS, it’s taken the series
to a whole new level. You should buy your new or used TI-Nspire CAS
for less on Ebay.

Travis Bower

Jul 17, 2011, 10:33:22 PM7/17/11
to tins...@googlegroups.com
You mention many good points.
I noticed the omission of memory and speed comments.  Your students might also want to know that info when deciding.

The tns documents shared by group members are archived at
http://lafacroft.com/archive/nspire.php

Jim Fullerenex

Jul 17, 2011, 10:59:29 PM7/17/11
to tins...@googlegroups.com
I agree with all that's said above. Really an extensive comparison and a collection of detailed information.
Best Wishes,
Jim Fullerenex