TI Nspire Keys Font

hastern

Aug 10, 2009, 4:09:57 PM8/10/09
to tinspire
I don't know if someone already did this, but I didn't see it.
I've made a chart showing which qwerty key corresponds to each
character on the TI Nspire Keys font, and uploaded it as a pdf.

Nelson Sousa

Aug 10, 2009, 6:32:58 PM8/10/09
to tins...@googlegroups.com
thanks!!!

That's a great help to create documents! instead of browsing in the
insert symbol palette I can create a macro to change the font and type
in a key!

by the way, I've noticed that the Nspire symbols are too small for
proper reading; I usually type them in 2 sizes bigger than normal
text. What's the quickest way to set a font size by default? (I don't
mean typing and defining it bigger, I mean is there a way to set up a
font to ALWAYS type 2 sizes up?)

Nelson

Eric Findlay

Aug 10, 2009, 7:12:23 PM8/10/09
to tins...@googlegroups.com
> by the way, I've noticed that the Nspire symbols are too small for
> proper reading; I usually type them in 2 sizes bigger than normal
> text. What's the quickest way to set a font size by default? (I don't
> mean typing and defining it bigger, I mean is there a way to set up a
> font to ALWAYS type 2 sizes up?)

As far as I know, there isn't a way to define default absolute or
relative sizes for particular fonts. You'd probably have to create a
macro to increase the size, or change it manually after typing.

For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor
demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither
height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to
separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.
- Romans 8:38-39 (NIV)
--
Eric Findlay
AKA Eagle-Man

Nelson Sousa

Aug 10, 2009, 7:15:43 PM8/10/09
to tins...@googlegroups.com
Ok, thanks. I guess I'll create a different style for keystrokes: 2
sizes up and using tinspirekeys font; then it'll be a matter of
switching styles back and forth.

Cheers,
Nelson

Marc Garneau

Aug 10, 2009, 8:14:50 PM8/10/09
to tins...@googlegroups.com
If you're using Office 2007, there is a method. Just type up your
document as usual, keeping everything the same size. Then highlight
one character that uses the key font.
There's a Select tool, and choose the "Select Text with Similar
Formatting" option. Every character in your document that has the
Nspire Key font, will get highlighted. Change the size, and all will
change at the same time.

pastedGraphic.png

Nelson Sousa

Aug 10, 2009, 8:17:37 PM8/10/09
to tins...@googlegroups.com
Nah, I use open office.
but thanks!

Nelson
> Marc Garneau
>
> On 10-Aug-09, at 4:15 PM, Nelson Sousa wrote:
>

>> Ok, thanks. I guess I'll create a different style for keystrokes: 2
>> sizes up and using tinspirekeys font; then it'll be a matter of
>> switching styles back and forth.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Nelson

>> The tns documents shared by group members are archived at
>> http://lafacroft.com/archive/nspire.php

Luke Setzer

Aug 11, 2009, 10:51:23 AM8/11/09
to tinspire
So how exactly do I use the keyboard to bring up these special
characters?

Nelson Sousa

Aug 11, 2009, 11:41:03 AM8/11/09
to tins...@googlegroups.com
you change the font to tinspirekeys and just type in the symbols you want.

Nelson

Luke Setzer

Aug 11, 2009, 12:30:28 PM8/11/09
to tinspire
Are we talking about working inside a TI-Nspire document or inside an
Office document?

Either way, I have no idea how to get to the tinspirekeys font.

My Office software shows a list of other TI fonts but not that one.

Nelson Sousa

Aug 11, 2009, 12:49:20 PM8/11/09
to tins...@googlegroups.com
inside an office document. TI has a set of fonts available (for all
models of calculator) to help people writing documentation for
training courses.

You can see the list here:
http://education.ti.com/educationportal/downloadcenter/SoftwareList.do?website=US&tabId=1&paneId=13

Cheers,
Nelson

Jessica Kachur

Aug 11, 2009, 1:10:16 PM8/11/09
to tins...@googlegroups.com
But is there anyone out there that has a beginning algebra activity for the TI 30XS multiview?

Thanks

Jess Kachur
Glenwood High School, Mathematics Teacher
T3 Regional Instructor
Muka, CGC, TDI, CL2, CL3-F, CL3-S, CL3-H, TN-O, WV-N
and
Jibay, Sandy Acres lil' Phantom, CGC, CL3

-TJ

Aug 11, 2009, 6:27:19 PM8/11/09
to tinspire
Dear Everyone,

Is there a way I can display a "key" on the calculator. I don't mean
typing "[ctrl]"; I meant the actual "key" on the calculator.

Sincerely,
-TJ

Bryson Perry

Aug 11, 2009, 9:19:30 PM8/11/09
to tinspire
TJ,
  Download the KeyFonts from where Nelson mentioned and use Mr. Stern's PDF to see that a / is the ctrl KEY when the tinspirekeys font is chosen.

Does this make sense?  I could do a video on the exact way to do it in OFFICE 2007 if anyone would find this helpful....

Bryson

> Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 15:27:19 -0700
> Subject: [tinspire] Re: A little off topic
> From: tjr...@gmail.com
> To: tins...@googlegroups.com

Teresa Stephens

Aug 12, 2009, 6:18:18 AM8/12/09
to tins...@googlegroups.com
Bryson,
I would find it helpful to have a video on the topic.    I have been trying to follow this but I am not certain that I fully understand it.  Thanks for offering.
Teresa

Paul Alves

Aug 13, 2009, 7:48:40 PM8/13/09
to tins...@googlegroups.com
An idea I received from a colleague was to create a template document with a toolbar that has the keys connected to macro (see attached). So when you click on the needed word from the toolbar (eg. menu), the menu button is inserted into your document. The buttons I have on the toolbar are the ones that I thought were ones I inserted most often. You will need to have the Nspire fonts installed for the macro to work.

Paul
NspireSymbols.dot

Bryson Perry

Aug 26, 2009, 5:57:23 PM8/26/09
to tinspire
I have finally produced the video I promised.  It is the first link at
http://staff.fcps.net/bperry/TINspire/tinspirescreencasts.htm

Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2009 06:18:18 -0400

Subject: [tinspire] Re: A little off topic

Teresa Stephens

Aug 26, 2009, 8:26:09 PM8/26/09
to tins...@googlegroups.com
Thanks this made it so clear.  A picture is truly worth a thousand words.

Theresa Rice

Aug 28, 2009, 2:33:27 PM8/28/09
to tins...@googlegroups.com
I am new to this forum and have a question.  How do I restrict domains of functions on the Nspire?  I am used to restricting the domain on the 84+ series by dividing but I can't figure out how to do this on the Nspires.

Thanks

Andy Kemp

Aug 28, 2009, 2:53:06 PM8/28/09
to tins...@googlegroups.com
To do this you just have to wrap the function you want to draw in a
piecewise function...

i.e. to draw x^2 for x>2 or x<2 you would enter the following function:
f1(x)=piecewise(x^2,x>2 or x<2)

Alternatively use the piecewise template which looks like { and can be
gotten by pressing CTRL + Multiple...

Theresa Rice

Aug 28, 2009, 3:26:07 PM8/28/09
to tins...@googlegroups.com
Thanks!

mathletics

Aug 28, 2009, 5:03:54 PM8/28/09
to tinspire
I use the "evaluate" symbol which looks like | and is a gray button to
the lower right of the ctrl button. So to graph x^2 between -2 and 4,
I just enter f1(x)=x^2 | -2<x<4. You can use logical 'or' or logical
'and' as well. I find my students respond pretty well to this way of
restricting the domain.

Steve

Theresa Rice

Aug 28, 2009, 6:02:50 PM8/28/09
to tins...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for all the help. I actually like the "evaluate" method because it
is very similar to what I do with the 84's.

Aug 28, 2009, 6:09:34 PM8/28/09
to tins...@googlegroups.com
I agree the evaluate method is nice, the advantage of the piecewise
notiation is that you can enter several fuctions as once... depends
what you want to do...

Theresa Rice

Aug 28, 2009, 6:16:26 PM8/28/09
to tins...@googlegroups.com
Absolutely, when I get into more challenging problems, I will definitely use
the piecewise method.

John Hanna

Aug 28, 2009, 6:54:24 PM8/28/09
to tins...@googlegroups.com

Restricting domains:

There are three ways, none of which uses the ‘division trick’:

1. Use the when() statement:

   F1(x) = when(x>0,x^2) will graph y=x^2 only in the first quadrant

2. Use the ‘with’ operator: f1(x)=x^2 | 0<x<2

3. Use the ‘piecewise function template’:

You will find this in the templates (ctrl-times) and there are two if them in the top row: one for 2 pieces and one for any number of pieces including 1.

Don’t use the last two in the top row: they are for systems of equations and lack the commas in the thumbnails.

Notice that my example above has a ‘gap’ between -10 and 0.

Sail Upwind,

    John Hanna

    973.398.3815

    jeh...@optonline.net

    www.johnhanna.us

The future is not what it used to be. - Paul Valery

Aug 28, 2009, 7:32:48 PM8/28/09
to tins...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the information, I am definitely learning!

Sean Bird

Aug 28, 2009, 8:21:24 PM8/28/09
to tins...@googlegroups.com
Very nice presentation/summary John.
Perhaps something worth noting:
   I like the 'such that' or 'with' operator, and I enjoy using that frequently.
 Several operating systems back I was trying to use it and got unexpected behavior. I forget if I was tracing or if something wasn't appearing like expected. Maybe it was horizontal lines, i.e. constant functions. Anyway, the solution I was given was to use the piecewise template. This works wonderfully well, even when doing one statement.
For those with CAS (or even those using nSolve() with the numeric Nspire), it is a good idea to limit the domain, especially when using it to solve trig problems. As a ludicrously easy example:
solve(sin(x)=1/2,x)|0<x<2pi

Sean Bird
http://covenantchristian.org/bird/
image003.jpg
image004.jpg

George Elizondo

Aug 28, 2009, 11:51:10 PM8/28/09
to tinspire
>>Don't use the last two (templates) in the top row: they are for systems of equations and lack the commas in the thumbnails.<<

Just what exactly do you do with the System of Equations template
other than refer to systems of equations in questions or notes? I have
been solving systems of equations using the simult( ) function which
uses the coefficient matrix and the constant matrix. Thanks!

George

On Aug 28, 5:54 pm, John Hanna <johneha...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Restricting domains:
>
> There are three ways, none of which uses the 'division trick':
>
> 1. Use the when() statement:
>
>    F1(x) = when(x>0,x^2) will graph y=x^2 only in the first quadrant
>
> 2. Use the 'with' operator: f1(x)=x^2 | 0<x<2
>
> 3. Use the 'piecewise function template':
>
> You will find this in the templates (ctrl-times) and there are two if them
> in the top row: one for 2 pieces and one for any number of pieces including
> 1.
>
> Don't use the last two in the top row: they are for systems of equations and
> lack the commas in the thumbnails.
>
> Notice that my example above has a 'gap' between -10 and 0.
>
> Sail Upwind,
>
>     John Hanna
>
>     973.398.3815
>
>     jeha...@optonline.net
>
>    www.johnhanna.us
>
> The future is not what it used to be. - Paul Valery
>
>   _____

Nelson Sousa

Aug 29, 2009, 7:28:25 AM8/29/09
to tins...@googlegroups.com
You can use the template as a shortcut inside a solve statement.

Instead of entering

solve(equation1 and equation2 and ... , {var1, var2, var3,...})

you can use the system of equations template and enter

solve(system_of_equations_template , { var1, var2, ... }).

It makes it easier to check whether you made a mistake entering the equations.

Nelson

John Hanna

Aug 29, 2009, 9:01:58 AM8/29/09
to tins...@googlegroups.com

You can use the solve() command to solve a system:
Assuming a system in x and y...

Solve(<systems template>, x)
or
Solve( eq1 and eq2, x)

both produce solutions for x and y.
eq1 and eq2 are two equations in x and y.

The template looks prettier.

Sail Upwind,
John Hanna
973.398.3815
jeh...@optonline.net
www.johnhanna.us
The future is not what it used to be. - Paul Valery

George Elizondo

Aug 29, 2009, 10:10:44 AM8/29/09
to tinspire
Very Nice! Thank you!
George

On Aug 29, 8:01 am, John Hanna <johneha...@gmail.com> wrote:
> You can use the solve() command to solve a system:
> Assuming a system in x and y...
>
>       Solve(<systems template>, x)
> or
>       Solve( eq1 and eq2, x)
>
> both produce solutions for x and y.
> eq1 and eq2 are two equations in x and y.
>
> The template looks prettier.
>
> Sail Upwind,
>     John Hanna
>     973.398.3815
> > 6KViewDownload- Hide quoted text -

George Elizondo

Sep 1, 2009, 10:44:19 AM9/1/09
to tinspire
I’m still working on this and I think I have all the pieces, including
the TI Nspire key fonts, but how do I install them in Office 2007 so
that I can access them from WORD?

George

On 11 Aug, 19:19, Bryson Perry <brysonperr...@msn.com> wrote:
> TJ,
>
>   Download the KeyFonts from where Nelson mentioned and use Mr. Stern's PDF to see that a / is the ctrl KEY when the tinspirekeys font is chosen.
>
> Does this make sense?  I could do a video on the exact way to do it in OFFICE 2007 if anyone would find this helpful....
>
> Bryson
>
> > Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 15:27:19 -0700
> > Subject: [tinspire] Re: A little off topic
> > From: tjra...@gmail.com
> > To: tins...@googlegroups.com
>
> > Dear Everyone,
>
> > Is there a way I can display a "key" on the calculator. I don't mean
> > typing "[ctrl]"; I meant the actual "key" on the calculator.
>
> > Sincerely,
> > -TJ

> Get back to school stuff for them and cashback for you.http://www.bing.com/cashback?form=MSHYCB&publ=WLHMTAG&crea=TEXT_MSHYC...

John Hanna

Sep 1, 2009, 11:50:24 AM9/1/09
to tins...@googlegroups.com

You install the TINspireKeys font (a TTF file) into your Fonts folder (Control Panel>Fonts). In Word, use Insert>Symbol and scroll through the fonts for the TINspireKeys for characters like: c (that’s supposed to be the home key!).

Sail Upwind,

    John Hanna

    973.398.3815

    www.johnhanna.us

The future is not what it used to be. - Paul Valery

Thanks John, works like a champ (and looks great)! Boy that was easy!
George