This application is not supported on this computer. Installation has been disabled.

Maurice de Beijer

Nov 9, 2012, 1:42:34 PM11/9/12
to tincr-for-ch...@googlegroups.com
When trying to install Tincr on Chrome 23.0.1271.64 I receive the following error message:

This application is not supported on this computer. Installation has been disabled.

This is running Chrome on Windows 8 in destop, not Metro, mode.

Any hints on how to install Tincr?

Thanks

Justin Kent

Nov 20, 2012, 6:51:13 PM11/20/12
to tincr-for-ch...@googlegroups.com
+1, lets see some win8 love!

Ryan Ackley

Nov 20, 2012, 7:09:01 PM11/20/12
to tincr-for-ch...@googlegroups.com
Bad news, Chrome has disabled NPAPI plugins on Windows 8. Tincr relies on NPAPI for access to the file system. See

It doesn't look like Tincr (in its current form) will ever support Windows 8. I'm working on an alternative that doesn't rely on access to the filesystem. It's something of an experiment so I'm not sure if it will be as useful.

You should contact the Chrome dev team if you're upset about this. Unfortunately, there is nothing I can do about it besides try and find an alternative way to make Tincr work.

Ryan Ackley

Nov 20, 2012, 7:10:29 PM11/20/12
to tincr-for-ch...@googlegroups.com
Also note that this may only apply to Windows 8 Metro mode. I don't own a copy of Windows 8 so it's difficult to actually test what works or doesn't

Justin Kent

Nov 20, 2012, 10:15:15 PM11/20/12
to tincr-for-ch...@googlegroups.com
Well crap. Thanks for looking into it. Just upgraded to win8 and this is like the final straw, time to downgrade. Tincr is just too cool to pass up!

Maurice de Beijer

Nov 21, 2012, 1:22:03 AM11/21/12
to tincr-for-ch...@googlegroups.com
I suspected it might be the NPAPI plugins issue.

The blog post is about Windows 8 Metro mode and I would have expected that as Microsoft is pretty strict about what you can and can't do.

However I am running Chrome in desktop mode on an Intel processor so the expected behavior is that it would behave in the same way as Windows 7. Guess now.

I will take this to the Chromium team and see what they have to see. Would be a shame if a real cool add-on like Tincr doesn't work.

Thanks

Maurice de Beijer

Nov 21, 2012, 1:32:09 AM11/21/12
to tincr-for-ch...@googlegroups.com
See http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=162186

Lauricio Su

Dec 20, 2012, 8:08:22 PM12/20/12
to tincr-for-ch...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
I have found a solution for this, you have to run chrome in compatibility mode for "Windows 7" (Right click chrome.exe or shortcut > Properties > Compatibility >Run...), that's it. It lets you install normally and it seems to work fine, I tested with Windows 8 Pro, Sublime Text 2220, Chrome Version 24.0.1312.45 beta-m (Desktop mode), and my web server is Webmatrix with IIS Express 8, btw if you are using Webmatrix to test on local network and you change "localhost" to your computer name, it does not work you have to either change it back to localhost or edit "applicationhost.config" for IIS express to include both bindings, then you can use localhost:port on chrome with tincr and yourcomputername:port on your local network like your phone on wifi, anyways I am really glad it worked out, I am still new at web development but I can already see that this tool will be really handy, cheers!

Maurice de Beijer

Dec 21, 2012, 1:51:30 PM12/21/12
to tincr-for-ch...@googlegroups.com
Excellent.

This worked just fine for me with one addition. I had to keep once instance of Chrome running before starting a new instance in compatibility mode. Without that Chrome would not get a connection to the Internet.

Thanks,
Maurice

NullUserException

Jan 26, 2013, 9:07:58 PM1/26/13
to tincr-for-ch...@googlegroups.com
That worked,
Thank you so much!

Chintan Desai

Feb 20, 2013, 10:15:43 PM2/20/13
to tincr-for-ch...@googlegroups.com
I followed the steps. Tin.cr gets installed but I do not see Tincr panel in developer tools. I am using Chrome version Version 24.0.1312.57 m

Can someone help?
Thanks

Riderman Sousa

Oct 20, 2014, 7:45:43 AM10/20/14