browse button doesn't work

Carlos Cabral

Nov 5, 2012, 6:00:59 PM11/5/12
to tincr-for-ch...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
I'm using Chrome Version 22.0.1229.94 and the latest tincr version available in the store.

Choosing any option in the dropdown and trying to browse to the root folder doesn't work. When I click on the button nothing happens. Tried to restart and log the errors, but no error is reported.

Thanks

Ryan Ackley

Nov 5, 2012, 6:07:31 PM11/5/12
to tincr-for-ch...@googlegroups.com
If the browse button isn't working, you may need to reload the
extension or restart your browser.

I've heard of this problem from a few people now. What OS are you
using? Did you upgrade Tincr from an earlier version?

Carlos Cabral

Nov 5, 2012, 6:10:33 PM11/5/12
to tincr-for-ch...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
Thanks for the quick reply.

I did restart the browser and enable/disable the extension several times but the error remains.
I'm using ubuntu 11.04

Carlos Cabral

Nov 5, 2012, 6:11:16 PM11/5/12
to tincr-for-ch...@googlegroups.com
I did not install tincr from an earlier version, it's a fresh install

Ryan Ackley

Nov 5, 2012, 6:15:22 PM11/5/12
to tincr-for-ch...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Carlos, I'll see if I can reproduce.

Ryan Ackley

Nov 7, 2012, 2:15:58 PM11/7/12
to tincr-for-ch...@googlegroups.com
Hi Carlos,

I built the native parts of Tincr on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS. There may be
some binary incompatibility since you're on an older version. I've
verified that the latest version of Tincr works fine on Ubuntu 12.04
LTS

-Ryan

Milán Nagy

Nov 26, 2012, 1:11:01 PM11/26/12
to tincr-for-ch...@googlegroups.com
Hello!

I have the same problem, using 1.3 with Win7.
I'm using 2 Chrome profiles. In the 1st one it mostly works, and in the 2nd one it is mostly broken. Too bad the second one is my dev profile.

Can I help you somehow to track it down?

Julien Guéznet

Feb 6, 2013, 5:11:04 PM2/6/13
to tincr-for-ch...@googlegroups.com
Browse button wasn't working for me too, en Win7
I have checked experimental dev tool feature in chrome://flags/
.. and now it works

Ryan Ackley

Feb 6, 2013, 5:18:03 PM2/6/13
to tincr-for-ch...@googlegroups.com
Hi Julien,

The flag you changed probably required you to restart Chrome? This would fix the browse button not working. Tincr does not use any Chrome settings.

-Ryan

Leandro Flaherty

Mar 30, 2013, 1:09:39 PM3/30/13
to tincr-for-ch...@googlegroups.com
Julian, I know what the bug fix is. Atleast for me. I had the same bug, clicked on the Browse button and nothing happened. It actually WAS opening, but beneath all my other windows. On Windows7, running Chome 25.0.1364.172 m. I simply clicked ALT + TAB to cycle through my open windows and there it was. Works like a charm now. Cheers.

Lloyd B

May 2, 2013, 6:14:20 AM5/2/13
to tincr-for-ch...@googlegroups.com
Tincr version 2.1.1 Browse button does not work in Chrome "28.0.1495.2 canary".. steps:

1. open a "localhost" site
2. select "HTTP Web Server"
3. click "Browse" - nothing happens.

Onyx nz

May 18, 2013, 6:26:24 AM5/18/13
to tincr-for-ch...@googlegroups.com

Same issue; Chrome Version 27.0.1453.81 beta on Debian 64bit Neptune 3, KDE 4.10.3
Also same on Chromium ; Version 26.0.1410.43 Built on Debian 7.0, running on Debian jessie/sid (189671)

A shame, as it would be awesome to hotswap javascript files when testing large forms that need pre-population manually.

Ryan Ackley

May 18, 2013, 6:40:55 AM5/18/13
to tincr-for-ch...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, apparently I forgot to compile the file-io stuff for linux 64 bit. Easy to fix but I'm on vacation in Indonesia at the moment.

Ryan Ackley

May 18, 2013, 6:45:26 AM5/18/13
to tincr-for-ch...@googlegroups.com
Actually, I just noticed that you aren't using Ubuntu linux. Please read this entire thread for instructions on building the native file IO library for you particular distribution then replacing this in Tincr.

opensas opensas

May 19, 2013, 1:14:38 PM5/19/13
to tincr-for-ch...@googlegroups.com
Same issue here with ubuntu 13.04, raring ringtail 64 bits:

$ uname -a
Linux raring 3.8.0-21-generic #32-Ubuntu SMP Tue May 14 22:16:46 UTC 2013 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

chromium Version 25.0.1364.160 Ubuntu 13.04 (25.0.1364.160-0ubuntu3)

a real shame indeed, I hope we can find a way to fix it soon

saludos

sas
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tincr-for-chrome-devtools+unsub...@googlegroups.com.

Lloyd Brookes

May 19, 2013, 1:20:01 PM5/19/13
to tincr-for-ch...@googlegroups.com
tbh, it's fairly inconsequential now with the release of Google Chrome Workspaces in Canary (giving you tin.cr functionality built into the browser)..

Sebastian Scarano

May 19, 2013, 2:25:57 PM5/19/13
to tincr-for-ch...@googlegroups.com
great news, any idea when will it be available for linux?

Ryan Ackley

May 19, 2013, 4:42:43 PM5/19/13
to tincr-for-ch...@googlegroups.com
Workspaces is tin.cr built into Chrome so give it a try if you are unhappy with Tincr or just can't get it to work. I plan to continue maintaining tincr for now.

Tincr seems easier to set up IMO, of course I'm biased. I couldn't get it to work as advertised (some of you have the same problem with tin.cr apparently). Also, it seems like the only generated language they support is Sass. Not completely sure about this since I couldn't get it to work.

It looks promising but I wonder how committed they are to this direction. It seem like they have one guy or less working on it. They actually shipped it originally in January as an experiment and it still seems a little buggy.

Lloyd Brookes

May 19, 2013, 4:50:43 PM5/19/13
to tincr-for-ch...@googlegroups.com
did you watch the recent google vids on the topic?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVSo4buDAEE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6qe_kVaBpg

I managed to get Workspaces working, with live refresh working in both directions (browser <-> editor).. (one quirk i noticed was that you need the appropriate file open in DevTools Sources panel before changes to that file from your editor will live reload).. haven't tried with Sass in latest Canary, although have failed to get it working in the past - but i haven't tried the latest techniques highlighted in the videos above, yet..

Sebastian Scarano

May 19, 2013, 4:53:47 PM5/19/13
to tincr-for-ch...@googlegroups.com
too bad they didn't hire you to get it working, it's a shame to see duplicated efforts...

Ryan Ackley

May 19, 2013, 5:24:53 PM5/19/13
to tincr-for-ch...@googlegroups.com
It's okay. I would love for them to take this on and do it properly. I have dozens of other ideas that I could work on that would serve the community just as well as Tincr.

I would be really irritated if they kill Tincr with an inferior solution, then stop maintaining it.
Message has been deleted

aristidesfl

May 22, 2013, 6:31:52 AM5/22/13
to tincr-for-ch...@googlegroups.com
I have the same problem, can't use tincr on canary, browse button doesn't work..
Version 28.0.1497.0 canary
Tincr 2.1.1

Elad Ossadon

Jun 10, 2013, 8:43:40 PM6/10/13
to tincr-for-ch...@googlegroups.com
Same problem.

Tested on Mac OS X 1.8.3

Version 29.0.1534.2 canary
Version 29.0.1530.4 dev

Message has been deleted

opensas opensas

Jun 11, 2013, 7:51:03 AM6/11/13
to tincr-for-ch...@googlegroups.com
I also tried with a development version of chrome Version 28.0.1500.36 beta
on ubuntu 13.04
and I experience the same issue (the browse button is not reponding)

I'll give a try to canary

Sahil Mepani

Jul 13, 2013, 11:16:16 AM7/13/13
to tincr-for-ch...@googlegroups.com
Browse button isn't working for me either. I'm using Windows 7

Ryan Ackley

Jul 13, 2013, 11:31:19 AM7/13/13
to tincr-for-ch...@googlegroups.com
The only bona fide issues with the browse button not working would be

* 64-bit Linux version or basically any flavor of linux that doesn't have binary compatibility with 32 bit Ubuntu 12.04 LTS.
* Windows 8 where you haven't used one of the workarounds mentioned on other places in the forum

The only other cause is the flakiness of Chrome's NPAPI implementation. Sometimes when your browser starts or you initially install the plugin, the native component fails to start. The browse button depends on this part to work it's magic. Disable and re-enabling the extension should eventually solve the problem.

On Sat, Jul 13, 2013 at 11:16 AM, Sahil Mepani <product...@gmail.com> wrote:
Browse button isn't working for me either. I'm using Windows 7

aristidesfl

Jul 13, 2013, 11:38:40 AM7/13/13
to tincr-for-ch...@googlegroups.com
The other option would be to provide a text box to manually input the path in addition to the browse button.
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Tincr for Chrome Devtools" group.

Sahil Mepani

Jul 18, 2013, 12:26:10 AM7/18/13
to tincr-for-ch...@googlegroups.com
I'm using Windows 7 (64 Bit). I tried enabling and disabling the extension. What's strange, before some time, I was able to work with it, It was working like a charm.
I didn't re-install or made any changes to it. It just suddenly stopped working.

Victor Häggqvist

Dec 22, 2013, 12:03:17 PM12/22/13
to tincr-for-ch...@googlegroups.com
Same issue here, I'm on:
Linux 3.2.0-4-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 3.2.51-1 x86_64 GNU/Linux
Chrome 33.0.1750.5 dev
Tincr 2.2.1

Have restarted browser a couple of time and turned the extension on/off.

Tincr's "internal"  log says:
Error in event handler for runtime.onMessage: TypeError: Object #<HTMLEmbedElement> has no method 'launchFolderSelect' at Object.ProjectManager.launchFolderSelect (chrome-extension://lfjbhpnjiajjgnjganiaggebdhhpnbih/ProjectManager.js:61:21) at chrome-extension://lfjbhpnjiajjgnjganiaggebdhhpnbih/background.js:14:24 at Function.target.(anonymous function) (extensions::SafeBuiltins:19:14) at Event.dispatchToListener (extensions::event_bindings:394:22) at Event.dispatch_ (extensions::event_bindings:378:27) at Event.dispatch (extensions::event_bindings:400:17) at messageListener (extensions::messaging:192:31) at Function.target.(anonymous function) (extensions::SafeBuiltins:19:14) at Event.dispatchToListener (extensions::event_bindings:394:22) at Event.dispatch_ (extensions::event_bindings:378:27)

Victor Häggqvist

Dec 22, 2013, 1:28:05 PM12/22/13
to tincr-for-ch...@googlegroups.com
It also says "Native file support failed to load", so well there is the problem. Guessing there is something messed up with my Chrome installation then...

Alex Chen

Jan 24, 2014, 11:23:52 AM1/24/14
to tincr-for-ch...@googlegroups.com
I have same problem. but, I find some thing.
this problem only happen when I try to set path include some text not english named.(I include chinese text in dir path)
I hope this message can make some help.
sorry my english....

msawired

Jan 15, 2015, 5:50:07 PM1/15/15
to tincr-for-ch...@googlegroups.com
Anyone has found the solution to this? My browse button stopped working some months ago.

Ryan Ackley

Jan 15, 2015, 5:52:27 PM1/15/15
to tincr-for-ch...@googlegroups.com
It's most likely that Chrome has disabled NPAPI plugins. Tincr relies on an NPAPI plugin for the browse button to work.

I recommend checking out Chrome Workspaces. It's basically the same thing.