Projected Parole Eligibility Date

Bonnie

Nov 19, 2010, 10:48:39 AM11/19/10
to TIFA Talk
Does anyone have a feel for how long it takes for the parole board to
make a decision on the "projected parole eligibility date" to either
release or extend? The projected parole eligibility date in question
on the inmate information page on the TDCJ website has come and gone
with no word from parole to the inmate and also no update to change
the previously indicated eligibility date.

We don't know where to turn to get updated information or how long the
update should normally take.

Thanks for your help.

Jemal Chambers

Nov 19, 2010, 11:43:04 AM11/19/10
to tifa...@googlegroups.com
Each case is different Bonnie. The nature of the crime, incarceration history, past parole supervision track record, institutional infractions, if there are any... Just because they give a projected eligibility date doesn't mean an offender will be released. The date is just what it says, the date he is eligible to go before parole. My husband was eligible in 2007. He was given a 2 year set off. In the spring of 2009, he was given a 1 year set off. My husband had an unsuccessful supervision record in the past. Then he is married to a former TDCJ sergeant. When he was still at the unit I used to work at, each time he came close to his parole date, they made sure he received some kind of write up knowing it would affect the parole decision. In October 2009 they transferred him to a private facility in another region, which caused his case to go before a brand new panel. In the early spring of 2010, he was given another set off with them knowing that the next time he came before them he would have 5-6 months left on his sentence. To date he only has 9 months left on an 8 year sentence. I am sitting back watching to see how they handle the next/final parole hearing. If they give him a serve all then the tax payers of Texas should be very upset because they could have done that in the spring of 2010. That would mean they wasted time, which cost money, to meet just to do something they knew they were going to do less than a year ago. Not once were we, his family, given an opportunity to speak on his behalf or ours. Each time they set him off, they gave the exact same reason as the previous set offs. There aren't even goals/expectations as to what the parole board would like to see them accomplish when they set them off. The parole process is in need of major restructuring. Thousands of dollars, if not millions, are being burned up by the parole process. Then to Bonnie, you need to also watch and see if the requirements stated in House Bill 1711 are being adhered to, prior to his release. My husband hasn't even heard of what is suppose to happen prior to him re-entering society and he has less than a year left. You can call Austin, 512-406-5452, to inquire about his case. Good luck!
JC.

Dave Hamrick

Nov 22, 2010, 4:10:53 PM11/22/10
to tifa...@googlegroups.com
     Sorry to say that the Parole Board in Austin and your particular Regional Board for wherever your son is located really doesn't give a crap !!!!!! . . .my son came up for review first of June and I called on October 28th (5 mos), after many calls to Austin and Huntsville numbers over the last two months, and found out that he had been denied parole and set off another year till October of 2011 and as yet (talked to him on phone Sat. 11/20) he hasn't heard a word from the parole board in Austin or Regional Board in Huntsville.  At least he heard it from me in a letter as opposed to the sorry method of TDCJ, which may be nothing !!!
      Also, they may "never" update the information on the automatic phone message cause, again, my son's information is still the same as it was back in 2007 . .HA!!!! . . . .pretty current, huh ??. . this has got to be one of the sorryest systems, if the the worst, I've seen in my life, so don't expect to much. Take care and continue to call both offices that deal with Parole; the Austin headquarters and the Regional office for your son's Unit or Huntsville parole office . .

Dumb...@aol.com

Nov 22, 2010, 5:58:30 PM11/22/10
to tifa...@googlegroups.com
Unfortunately this information is correct. They do not do a lot to help you or the inmate. You have to dog them and stay on top of every move every day. My loved one made parole in October of 2008 and they did not notify him or me in a timely manor. Then they did not post his release date until 5 days before and I had to plan and get to Texas from NJ. It was a nightmare. He was released in January of 2009. It is a long hard fight but we found the higher ups to be more concerned and helpful then the immediate contact people so I recommend you go to the head of the parole division. It made a world of difference. I wish you luck and that your loved one is released in 2011. Don't give up! It will happen.

Rita Castro

Nov 22, 2010, 9:48:27 PM11/22/10
to tifa...@googlegroups.com
Have you called the Parole Board member in your Region? Here is the information on each region with the assigned units:

Let me know if you have trouble getting through to a Board member or commissioner with answers to your questions. I've heard sometimes about a month or so, but the Board members should be able to tell you how long they will take. Did he prepare a Parole Plan? Did you have an attorney?

Rita Castro, Chair
TIFA-San Antonio Chapter

Cell: (210) 387-1558

Bonnie

Nov 24, 2010, 10:26:03 AM11/24/10
to TIFA Talk

Thanks to all who responded to my querie. I got the answer I needed
with no problem and confirmed with 2 sources. Wish all questions were
answered this completely and quickly!! Hope all have a happy
Thanksgiving!!

Dumb...@aol.com

Nov 25, 2010, 2:58:08 PM11/25/10
to tifa...@googlegroups.com