planning TiddlyWiki5 for TiddlyWeb

chris...@gmail.com

Sep 9, 2012, 7:54:58 AM9/9/12
to tiddly...@googlegroups.com, tidd...@googlegroups.com

Sorry for the crosspost between the TiddlyWeb and TiddlyWikiDev
groups, but I wanted to be sure to reach a wider audience.

At some point TiddlyWiki5 will have reached a point of stability where
developing integration or interoperation with TiddlyWeb will be a
useful and cool thing to do.

I believe this is a great opportunity for an interested person or
group of people in the community to make a huge contribution to both
the TiddlyWiki and TiddlyWeb projects by starting and managing the
project themselves, with support from me and from Jeremy as needed, in
the proper spirit of open source and open development.

I'm occupied with TiddlyWeb and TiddlySpace. Jeremy is occupied with
TiddlyWiki5. Eric is occupied with classic TiddlyWiki. This means that
other resources are needed to move things along.

Is there interest? If people are worried they don't have the technical
chops it might help to know that when I started with TiddlyWeb I knew
very little Python and very little JavaScript and the learn as you go
process was very fulfilling.

I'm (as yet) insufficiently familiar with TiddlyWiki5's architecture
to know the best options for how to connect it with TiddlyWeb but I
would think at least some of the options (with some overlap) are:

* Adapt a storage layer in the TiddlyWiki5 code that talks the
Tiddlyweb http API, such that any TiddlyWiki5 can have or add a
story which connects to a bag or recipe on a TiddlyWeb server.

* Write a serialization for TiddlyWeb, very similar to the one in the
tiddlywebwiki package, which creates and presents a TiddlyWiki5 file
that gets filled in with tiddlers.

* Write a handler for TiddlyWeb that outputs an empty TiddlyWiki5
primed (by query string or code injection) to load a bag or recipe.

These are just some ideas. I hope that Jeremy will post with the
thoughts he's had along these lines.

Whatever path is taken, I think the more and more diverse people we
can get involved, the more likely the work is to a) happen and b) be
correct.

Who is interested?

--
Chris Dent http://burningchrome.com/
[...]

Jeremy Ruston

Sep 9, 2012, 11:16:32 AM9/9/12
to tidd...@googlegroups.com, tiddly...@googlegroups.com
I'd echo Chris's remarks. I think TW5 is in a reasonable place to kick
off some of the work that Chris suggests. In particular getting a
serializer or a handler off the ground would be pretty straightforward
and make it easy for TiddlySpace people to experiment with TW5
renderings of their content.

Best wishes

Jeremy

--