how to tell how many user are using TW in general?

已查看 116 次
跳至第一个未读帖子

Handoko Suwono

未读,
2015年11月29日 00:13:252015/11/29
收件人 TiddlyWiki
Is there any way to tell how many users are using tiddlywiki in general, that includes TWc, Tiddlyspot, Tiddlyweb, TW5 and TS?

Am trying to search using stat with no result.

handoko -

Jed Carty

未读,
2015年11月29日 04:33:252015/11/29
收件人 TiddlyWiki
There isn't any way to get accurate statistics on how many users there are. There are some numbers from google analytics on tiddlywiki.com, but they probably aren't a good indicator of the number of users. People get tiddlywiki from sources other than the main site (like github, and there is at least one reference site that has a way to download tiddlywiki) and there is no way find all of those sources, much less determine how many people get tiddlywiki from them.

If you do find a way to get reliable information let us know, it would be interesting.

Handoko Suwono

未读,
2015年11月29日 06:10:052015/11/29
收件人 TiddlyWiki
Thanks Jed. Indeed there is no way to tell exactly the numbers.

What I need to know is estimate figure or roughly how many users are, like ten thousands for TWc and more on TW5 etc. An estimate figure would be suffice. Most users I believe are using different type of TWs, not only one type.

Jeremy Ruston

未读,
2015年11月29日 06:46:572015/11/29
收件人 tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Handoko

Is there any way to tell how many users are using tiddlywiki in general, that includes TWc, Tiddlyspot, Tiddlyweb, TW5 and TS?

It’s an interesting question. As Jed notes, TiddlyWiki’s nature means there is no direct way to measure the number of people actively using it, but there are some indicators that can help drive estimates.

For example, we can measure the number of distinct people who have posted to the two TiddlyWiki mailing lists in, say, the last year. Then the question is how big a slice of the total users are represented by the people who post. I’d suggest that it must be at least one order of magnitude (ie for every individual posting to the groups there must be more than 10 individuals using TiddlyWiki without posting about it). In fact, I’d suggest that the hurdles to posting on the groups are quite high:

* Having a Google account, and being prepared to use it
* Ability to write in English
* Being happy to sacrifice some anonymity

My personal feeling is that the people who post on the groups might represent something between a hundredth and a thousandth of the overall, global population of active users.

As it happens, there’s no easy way to get Google Groups to reveal the number of distinct posters, but we do get figures for overall membership of the group:

5763 members of the main TiddlyWiki list
1576 members of the TiddlyWikiDev list

Presumably all the members of TiddlyWikiDev are also members of the main group, so one might take the 5.7K people as being between 1% and 10% of the overall user population, giving us an estimated user base of between 50,000 to 500,000 people.

There are a few other numbers available:

* As Jed says, there are Google Analytics stats for tiddlywiki.com, but that doesn’t seem helpful
* GitHub activity maybe gives an insight into developer engagement with TiddlyWiki, but ignores the people who purposely avoid it
* Search engines like Google could be used to try to count the number of publicly exposed TiddlyWiki HTML files, from which one might extrapolate something about private usage

I’m no statistician, so possibly not a good person to do this kind of thing. In any case, I really love the decentralisation of TiddlyWiki, and the fact that people can use it entirely privately.

Best wishes

Jeremy

Am trying to search using stat with no result.

handoko -

PMario

未读,
2015年11月29日 07:23:132015/11/29
收件人 TiddlyWiki
hi handoko,

Tiddlyspace has some automatically created info at: http://tscount.tiddlyspace.com/#SomeInfo

Date     Users Spaces Created Modified Editors BagsChanged FatBags Zombies
20151127 13555 18604  128     246      51      63          6026    8722
20151128 13559 18608  56      105      22      28          6026    8722

I just copied the last 2 lines of the list in here, as a reference. As you can see, the "Users" numbers and number of "Spaces" is still increasing, but the number of Zombies is quite high.

IMO the most interesting numbers are FatBags. That are bags, that contain more then 10 user created tiddlers. So there is some real  content.

The number of Modified and Created tiddlers are between ~20 per day and ~1300 per day. So some users are still actively using TiddlySpace, which is mainly TiddlyWiki Classic.

ChangedBags is also interesting, since with TS most bags are directly related to individual users. So imo it relates very well with active users per day. Which is between ~20 and ~340 in 2015.

have fun!
mario

Atul Grover

未读,