Tooltips / modals that refer to tiddlers: a static / mobile impasse?

David Gifford

Apr 9, 2018, 4:50:10 PM4/9/18
to TiddlyWiki
Hi all

Experimented today with exporting tiddlers to static html, but tiddlers that have popups with content from other tiddlers.

1. At first I tried tooltips on hover. Worked great for my laptop. Got it to look and function perfectly. Exported and uploaded it to http://giffmex.org/experiments/hier.html, and it worked perfectly accessing it online from my laptop. Then tried it on my iPad: no hover. Clicking in one browser did nothing. Clicking in another browser opened the tooltip but didn't allow me to close it.

2. So I went back to the drawing board and tried button with on-click modals. Again, worked fine in TiddlyWiki. But those don't work when exporting to static, because they need the guts of TiddlyWiki to execute the action.

Is there a way around this impasse? My goal is to have a bare bones outline, with hidden content that is revealed in popups, that works in exported static htmls when accessed by mobile devices.

JD

Apr 10, 2018, 9:26:53 AM4/10/18
to TiddlyWiki
Hi David,

I tried Thomas' Details Widget, and it works for me by transcluding the content of other tiddlers into the "Details", then exporting only the parent tiddler.

The button widget (for "Close All" or "Open All") doesn't work, however... does this work for you?

David Gifford

Apr 10, 2018, 9:34:53 AM4/10/18
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Doesn't the details widget hijack the entire line of text, though? I a thinking more of either highlighting text or symbols within a line, and having a click to open popup.

I went gungho for a while with details/summary for tables of contents, but encountered css problems and stopped using it.

David Gifford
Mexico team leader, Mexico City

Resonate Global Mission
Engaging People. Embracing Christ.
A Ministry of the Christian Reformed Church
resonateglobalmission.org

JD

Apr 10, 2018, 10:39:56 AM4/10/18
to TiddlyWiki
Oh, right, like a wikipedia article that has popup citations, but in this case, has popup tiddlers, so reading won't be disrupted by line breaks...

I suppose I can also try playing with the DetailsWidget CSS a bit just to maximize potential use.

I'm also interested in other folks' suggestions to this :)