Luminotes shut down - but code is available!

twgrp

Mar 2, 2010, 3:46:52 PM3/2/10
to TiddlyWiki
I'm sorry to see Luminotes shut down[1]. As far as I know, it was a
commercialized TW version but because it was commercial it really had
focused on the ease-of-use aspects and intuitive design. In fact, I'd
say it had THE most user friendly interface I've seen for any TW
adaptation.

Luckily the developer Dan Helfman generously shares the code;

http://luminotes.com/hg/luminotes

I believe anyone interested in ease-of-use issues for TW and anyone
considering putting together stand alone TW applications will do well
looking at it.

[1] http://luminotes.com/

Mark S.

Mar 2, 2010, 5:37:59 PM3/2/10
to TiddlyWiki
How did it work? Create a TW on the fly? All the code I see is Python.

Mark

steved

Mar 6, 2010, 1:39:48 PM3/6/10
to TiddlyWiki
It was wysiwyg, ( or wysiye -edit) so no separate editor mode. The
issue with this approach - an approach I like by the way, is that if
text is special like a link (or macro) you have to have a way to get
to it. It had a ui mechanism ( a role over or right click - I can't
remember) which would bring up a form box to expose the non displayed
details for display and editing - like changing url of a link or other
info. I personally like the speed and review-ability ( showing the
wiki to others and editing it at the same time without needing to go
back and forth to edit mode) of a wysiwyg/e approach. It also was
simple and clean but did not yet have any of the macro/plugin
mechanisms of TW.

Also I believe while one part was Python ( the backend), the frontend
was javascript. I could be wrong, it is tough now because I can't
refresh my memory since the forums are gone.

In general, it was fast and simple, used simple buttons down the side
to get editing and function done. It was frame based like TW, but had
a simpler sorting of tiddlers (time or alphabetical). He was in the
process of adding tags when it closed.

-steve

Mark S.

Mar 6, 2010, 4:02:30 PM3/6/10
to TiddlyWiki
Ah, so it was TiddlyWiki-like, but not TiddlyWiki-based. All the code
I see is python, with just a few HTML files that may or may not have
js. So the code would not have been as portable as TW. Perhaps having
python as the engine made the business model problematic.

I don't suppose you know of a site that still has screen shots of the
application in action?

Well, might be worth grabbing the code while its available. Maybe
there will be a rainy day. Python is a pretty cool language.

Mark

Oliver

Mar 6, 2010, 4:02:19 PM3/6/10
to TiddlyWiki
Howdy TiddlyWikiers,

As a long time user of luminotes I was sad to see it go.

Luminotes is outstanding for brainstorming, brain-dumping kind of
work. Just click anywhere and type. boom.

No "edit mode" no CamelCase, no [[tags]], just a sharp tool for people
for people who need to put things down in digital form for later
recall.

I set up a Google group that I hope will help the Open Source Code
survive for those who refuse to let it go (like me).

http://groups.google.com/group/luminotes-community

There you will find a link to the Desktop version so you can give it
whirl if you wish.

Cheers,

Oliver.

PS: I looked at TW to replace Lum but I couldn't find an easy way to
import my wiki. I couldn't find any docs explaining the format that TW
expects on the import function, therefore I could not begin to write a
script that would do the conversion.