I cannot get tiddlywiki to save ever - with any browser even firefox

walter byrd

Aug 23, 2015, 1:07:32 PM8/23/15
to TiddlyWiki

I am new to tiddlywiki.

I am running debian, I usually use Google Chrome Version 41.0.2272.76 (64-bit).

I have also tried Midori, and Iceweasel 31.5 (Iceweasel is Firefox).

I have been googling, and looking through these forums. Apparently this is long-time problem with tiddlywiki.

I have tried saving in many different ways. No matter what, when I reload the file, my changes are gone. I have right-clicking and save as, I have tried "save page" from the browser. I have tried the circled check mark. No matter what, the wiki will not save.

So far, I am extremely disappointed with tiddlywiki.

Seems to me, being able to reliably save is very very big deal. I don't want to spend all day doing some kind of work, and then find it did not save.

Being able to save with only one particular browser (and I cannot even do that now) is not good enough. I do not always have my choice of browser. Also, I like being able to use the browser I want to use.

Saving is crucial. Saving should be easy, and reliable, and work with any browser.

Because I am new, I am trying to keep an open mind, but this may be a show stopper.

Jeremy Ruston

Aug 23, 2015, 5:24:14 PM8/23/15
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Walter

I'm sorry you've been having problems with TiddlyWiki.

I am new to tiddlywiki.

I am running debian, I usually use Google Chrome Version 41.0.2272.76 (64-bit).

What does happens under Chrome when you click the circled check mark? The browser should automatically download the modified version of the file, so that the new copy ends up in your downloads folder. You'll need to locate the file and drag it back into the browser to verify that your changes are saved. Can you let me know what is happening when you try it?

The only thing that I can think of that would prevent Chrome from saving changes in this way is if you have a browser extension that is interfering with TiddlyWiki. It may be worth disabling your extensions before trying it.

I have also tried Midori, and Iceweasel 31.5 (Iceweasel is Firefox).

The most convenient way to work with TiddlyWiki is to use Firefox with the TiddlyFox add-on. Does that work for you?

I have been googling, and looking through these forums. Apparently this is long-time problem with tiddlywiki.

Getting people to understand how to use TiddlyWiki is sometimes tricky because it's so different than most web applications, but I don't think there's any long-time problems with it.

I have tried saving in many different ways. No matter what, when I reload the file, my changes are gone. I have right-clicking and save as, I have tried "save page" from the browser. I have tried the circled check mark. No matter what, the wiki will not save.

The other things that you tried ("right-clicking and save as" and ""save page" from the browser") will not work; they just save a copy of the original file.

So far, I am extremely disappointed with tiddlywiki.

Seems to me, being able to reliably save is very very big deal. I don't want to spend all day doing some kind of work, and then find it did not save.

Clearly that is true, but let me reassure you that TiddlyWiki works very well; I think there must be something pretty basic going wrong here, possibly due to lack of clarity with the instructions, or with an errant extension as discussed above.

Being able to save with only one particular browser (and I cannot even do that now) is not good enough. I do not always have my choice of browser. Also, I like being able to use the browser I want to use.

There are many options for different ways to use TiddlyWiki. Using it in the single file configuration does indeed put some specific requirements on the browser, but the Node.js configuration allows you to use any browser.

Saving is crucial. Saving should be easy, and reliable, and work with any browser.

I'd love it if we could make saving easier. The problem is that browsers were not designed for this usage.

Because I am new, I am trying to keep an open mind, but this may be a show stopper.

Don't give up! It's either a documentation issue, or interference from a browser extension. TiddlyWiki works fine when used correctly.

Best wishes

Jeremy.

Jeremy Ruston
mailto:jeremy...@gmail.com

Jeremy Ruston

Aug 23, 2015, 5:30:14 PM8/23/15
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Walter

By the way, you might find this screencast helpful:

It shows you how to save changes in Chrome and Firefox. If you're getting different behaviour than you see in the video then we must conclude that there's some problem with your configuration.

Best wishes

Jeremy.

Birthe C

Aug 23, 2015, 6:19:28 PM8/23/15
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Walter

Arlen Beiler made TiddlyChrome, you can read about it here https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/tiddlywiki/TW5$20ARlen$20Beiler/tiddlywiki/nKxU_ixVKTI/jQUC5i5LJ-YJ.

I have been using Firefox for most work, but find that I am using Chrome more now with TiddlyChrome.

Birthe

walter byrd

Aug 23, 2015, 6:47:24 PM8/23/15
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com, jeremy...@gmail.com

> What does happens under Chrome when you click the circled check mark? The browser should automatically download the modified version of the file, so that the new copy ends up in your downloads folder. You'll need to locate the file and drag it back into the browser to verify that your changes are saved. Can you let me know what is happening when you try it?

When I save it chrome, it wants to name empty (1).html. I specify empty.html and it asks if I want to overwrite. I click yes. The file saves, but when I bring it back up, my changes are gone.

The most convenient way to work with TiddlyWiki is to use Firefox with the TiddlyFox add-on. Does that work for you?

Yes. I finally got it to work with firefox extension.

Thank you for responding.

Jeremy Ruston

Aug 23, 2015, 6:55:54 PM8/23/15
to walter byrd, TiddlyWiki
Hi Walter

When I save it chrome, it wants to name empty (1).html. I specify empty.html and it asks if I want to overwrite. I click yes. The file saves, but when I bring it back up, my changes are gone.

Just to be clear, you're not seeing your changes in the "Recent" tab of the sidebar?

The most convenient way to work with TiddlyWiki is to use Firefox with the TiddlyFox add-on. Does that work for you?

Yes. I finally got it to work with firefox extension.

Do you have any idea what was going wrong for you? If there's an issue with the documentation I'd like to fix it for the benefit of others.

Best wishes

Jeremy.

walter byrd

Aug 24, 2015, 4:52:04 PM8/24/15
to TiddlyWiki, walte...@gmail.com, jeremy...@gmail.com

Jeremy,

I gave Google Chrome another try.

When I clicked the circled check mark, it wanted to save as "empty (1).html" but I specified "empty.html" it asked if wanted to overwrite, I clicked yes.

It saved, and I shut the tab.

I brought it back up in Chrome, and this time my changes had been saved.

I made some more changes, tried saving it, and bringing it back again. I got the same results - it worked.

So now it seems to be working.

I don't know what happened before. I must have done something wrong.

Sorry about the trouble.

Walter