Saving via WebDAV the easy way

Tristan Kohl

Mar 4, 2018, 12:39:24 PM3/4/18
to TiddlyWiki
Hey guys,

as I tried various ways for storing a big amount of wikis on my limited hardware I came across the WebDAV capabilities and gave them a try as well.
Mario's videos were great but since I do not own any Microsoft license whatsoever this was no option. However I tried it with my favourite open source webserver Caddy which I tell you is an awesome peace of software by itself. But combining it with TW makes using TWs over network a child's play since Caddy has WebDAV build in already.

Here are the steps to follow:
  1. Go to Caddy download page
  2. Select the webdav plugin (documentation) and personal license and hit download
  3. Unzip the archive we only need the executable which we put in the same directory as the wikis we want to serve
  4. Create a text file called "Caddyfile" with capital "C" and write these two lines in it:

:8000

webdav

That's it, just execute the caddy file via a terminal and you are set. No configuration or anything else.

A wiki called mywiki.html is available via http://[IP_OF_THE_SERVER]:8000/mywiki.html.

I hope this helps some of you, I will play around with it for a while now and see how it compares to the other solutions I am testing.

Cheers,

Tristan

Lost Admin

May 18, 2018, 11:46:09 AM5/18/18
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
That is amazingly easy. How do you add user authentication and authorization for saving?

How can it be set-up as a service so that it starts up when the computer boots?

Tristan Kohl

May 18, 2018, 1:01:44 PM5/18/18
to TiddlyWiki
Well, since I only use it in my own VPN I figured Caddy's built in basicauth feature suffices to create user spheres. So I put all wikis for one person in one directory and tell caddy to use basicauth for that location.

Regarding the startup procedure, I put my Caddy executable inside PATH and used a systemd service to start a caddy process on boot. This setup works like a charm on my Raspberry for a few months now.

I hope this was somewhat understandable, feel free to ask if I should clarify things.

FrD

May 21, 2018, 2:46:56 PM5/21/18
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Tristan,

Thanks a lot for mentioning this solution with Caddy and webdav. I've tried it today and it works like a charm. It's also very easy to set up.
I've also made some symlinks in caddy's folder, each redirecting to a TW in another location. Works fine too.
I'm on Windows 10 by the way.

Regards
FrD