Re: Save Changes not working

PMario

Jul 29, 2012, 12:08:02 PM7/29/12
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Paulo,
Which browser do you use?
It's probably a TiddlySaver problem. Have a look at: http://tiddlywiki.com/#TiddlySaver
-m

okido

Aug 3, 2012, 11:00:50 AM8/3/12
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
I noticed same with 2 tw's that I used for years, on Linux with FF and TW264.
After changing the file name prg.html to prg.htm it worked as always.
The backup file is however saved with html as extension and not htm as one would expect.
I checked the files after changing the extension and they are identical.
Even when I use and empty TW and name it prg.html it will not save.

Any ideas what can be the cause, Okido

glenn opdycke

Aug 8, 2012, 10:48:26 AM8/8/12
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
I am seeing new wiki pages (html or htm files) fail to save.
I am using the firefox browser.  FireFox 15.0.

PMario

Aug 10, 2012, 7:41:58 AM8/10/12
to TiddlyWiki
I just did download a new TW from TiddlyWiki.com (empty.html) and
tested it with FF 14.0.1. win7. Everything works as expected. So there
may be a 3rd party plugin, that causes some trouble.

I didn't test FF 15 beta and I won't, since I don't want to change to
the beta branch. So someone else may jump in here.

-m

Kenan Senguen

Aug 10, 2012, 10:24:17 AM8/10/12
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
I can confirm that TiddlyWiki works well with Firefox 14, but it does not work with Firefox 15.

I tested it with both versions on the same machine and on the same operating system. TiddlyWiki
definitely does not work out-of-the-box with Firefox 15, currently.

Eric Shulman

Nov 25, 2012, 10:24:00 PM11/25/12
to TiddlyWiki
> Since upgrading to Firefox 17 my tiddlywiki (with all my project notes
> since 2006!) won't save after I edit it.
> Today I've installed TiddlyFox but it's made no difference

When installed in FireFox, TiddlyFox automatically inserts the
'tweaked' file I/O functions into the TWCore. In order to do this, it
must first detect that the document being loaded is actually a
TiddlyWiki. It does this by looking for key internal definitions that
are only likely to be present in a TiddlyWiki file.

When a TiddlyWiki file is recognized, TiddlyFox posts a message to let
you know that TiddlyFox has patched the TWCore to allow local file I/
O. As of the latest update to TiddlyFox, you can now also remember
this choice for the future, so you only receive one notice for each
TiddlyWIki document you load.

However, it is possible that A) if you are using a *very* old version
of TiddlyWiki (you did say "2006"), TiddlyFox may not be correctly
recognizing your document as a TiddlyWiki file (due to long-ago
changes in the internal structure of the TWCore document), or B) the
new "remember this" mechanism is failing in some way that prevents the
TiddlyFox patches from being applied to your document.

Can you post the TW *version* number for your document? (To find the
version #, just create a tiddler containing "<<version>>", and then
display it. The current revision is TW2.6.6 (with TW2.7.0 about to
"go gold").

enjoy,
-e
Eric Shulman
TiddlyTools / ELS Design Studios

HELP ME TO HELP YOU - MAKE A CONTRIBUTION TO MY "TIP JAR"...
http://www.TiddlyTools.com/#Donations

Professional TiddlyWiki Consulting Services...
Analysis, Design, and Custom Solutions:
http://www.TiddlyTools.com/#Contact

Daniela Meleo

Nov 26, 2012, 5:43:40 PM11/26/12
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Eric, thanks for answering.  Created new tiddler with <<version>>...  it's 2.2.4!  I didn't know you could "upgrade" TW.

I've looked but can't see how I'd do that.. could you explain?

(I'm not very technical - is there a straightforward way for me to update TW to the latest version and keep all my tiddlers & simple UI customisations I made so long ago I wouldn't even recall how I did it now ?)

thanks...
Daniela

Daniela Meleo

Nov 26, 2012, 5:49:45 PM11/26/12
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Eric,  I just found instructions at http://tiddlywiki.com, so I'll give that a go first.

Daniela Meleo

Nov 26, 2012, 7:21:05 PM11/26/12
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com

Hi again Eric,

Hi Eric,
re  trying to first upgrade my TW:  following the instructions, opened empty.html, then using Backstage > Import, selected by existing Tiddlywiki file.
Then Firefox displays a message:
TypeError: netscape.security.PrivilegeManager is undefined

The import dialog then displays "Opening workspace" but nothing happens after this.

Following the same process in Chrome, I'm able to select the existing Tiddlywiki file, but then after clicking the "Open" button, the dialog displays
Error retrieving tiddlers from url, please ensure this url exists and is CORS enabled

I've updated Java,  & also tried the process again with TiddlyFox extension disabled, both of which make no difference.  Can't think what else to do.

Any suggestions?

cheers.. Daniela

PhilBee

Nov 27, 2012, 4:18:47 AM11/27/12
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
When all else fails, try Internet Explorer (Version 7).

I have had the same problem( with saving tiddlers) as everyone else! I have two observations to make.

First, my TW 2.1.3 tiddlers stopped working (using SaveChanges) when I upgraded to FF17. However, they still save OK using FF9, FF11 and IE7.

Second, I downloaded TiddlyFox for use with FF17. However, I was so disappointed: for me it failed to work when I tried to import my 2.1.3 TWs into a freshly downloaded version (2.6.6) of empty.html.  Google Chrome also failed to work. However when I opened empty.html with IE7, all my 2.1.3 tiddlers imported beautifully cleanly! So now I have a lovely protocol for upgrading my tiddlers from 2.1.3 to 2.6.7!!!

Is this science, luck or black magic?

cam

Nov 27, 2012, 5:31:15 AM11/27/12
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the suggestion Andrew - but my TW is always open! I have it pinned as an App Tab - that's how much I use it!

This is very painful. I have a horrible feeling this will be like 3/4 years ago when I finally gave up on Instiki and migrated to Tiddly Wiki... So, now I have to find something else...

For the record, the prefs.js 'fix' was already in place in my FF - think I did this a few versions back.

On Monday, November 26, 2012 2:18:32 PM UTC, Andrew Riley wrote:
So I've also got TiddlyWiki 2.6.2 and FF17.0 and there do seem to be some odd interactions.

I wanted to change the name of my TW file and while pre-name change it worked after intalling TiddlyFox post change it didn't.
I did then manage to fix it, and thought I'd share the method in case that worked for you.

First off, remove TiddlyFox from Firefox via the Add-ons page.
Restart Firefox to complete the removal.
Then make sure your TiddlyWiki is open.
Re-install TiddlyFox https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/tiddlyfox/
Restart the Browser when it tells you to, and it should find and allow your TW.

The key seemed to be installing TiddlyFox while the TiddlyWiki instance was open.

On Monday, November 26, 2012 1:23:40 PM UTC, cam wrote:
TiddlyWiki 2.6.2
FF 17.0
TiddlyFox just installed and still no luck.

Måns

Nov 27, 2012, 8:57:20 AM11/27/12
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Daniela

If you can't use IE 7, for some reason - here's another option.:

Install TiddlyFileImportr* into your new document and import tiddlers from your old document.
NB: Put both documents in the same folder.

http://repository.tiddlyspace.com/#TiddlyFileImportr or
http://xn--mns-ula.dk/TW/Gilles/#TiddlyFileImportr

Cheers Måns Mårtensson

*) Copy all text from the plugin into your new document - remember to add the tag: "systemConfig" (without the citationmarks...), give it the correct title, save and reload.

Daniela Meleo

Nov 27, 2012, 8:27:54 PM11/27/12
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hello Mans,  thank you for your advice.  I'll give it a try.  Sorry for my ignorance, but I just need a little clarification.  WHen you say "install"  your notes say to "COpy all the text.. "
Do you mean that I should open the empty.html file, create a new tiddler containing all the text in FileImportr and tag it (as a tiddler).
or do you mean I should edit the HTML file using a text editor and drop the text in that way?  If the latter process applies, how do I "tag" it?

thanks..
Daniela

tobbbie

Nov 28, 2012, 1:14:15 PM11/28/12
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com

The fix by editing the prefs.js only works up to FF16 - not anymore in FF17. Not sure about the firefox addon though. It did not work for me in FF17 (despite giving the right popup stating about the patch).

I stepped back to FF16 until this is resolved.

My history is:
- not ok in FF17
- try FF-add-on, not ok
- try editing prefs.js, not ok (debugging  the paths and encoding took some time...)
- fall back to FF14: ok, query works, storage in prefs.js is done by FF, confirms that encoding is plain as in the URL field
- step up to FF15: save still works (no query as prefs.js still in)
- step up to FF16: save still works (no query as prefs.js still in)
- step up to FF17: save is broken
- manually disable FF update

Josef

Dec 2, 2012, 12:02:50 PM12/2/12
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Just for the record my Tiddlywiki page was also not allowing a save.  I added the FF save plugin and it worked.  Whew!
FF:  17
TW: 2.6.5

On Saturday, July 28, 2012 1:05:32 PM UTC-4, Paulo Ferreira wrote:
Hey hello people.

I just found out TiddlyWiki and is really awesome but I'm having a problem here.

Everything I do works nice until the part where I click Save Changes and it opens a pop-up saying

It's not possible to save changes. Possible reasons include:
- your browser doesn't support saving (Firefox, Internet Explorer, Safari and Opera all work if properly configured)
- the pathname to your TiddlyWiki file contains illegal characters
- the TiddlyWiki HTML file has been moved or renamed

1st point how to configure it?

Måns

Dec 2, 2012, 1:57:20 PM12/2/12
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Daniela

> WHen you say "install"
> your notes say to "COpy all the text.. "
> Do you mean that I should open the empty.html file, create a new tiddler
> containing all the text in FileImportr and tag it (as a tiddler).

Exactly :-) http://faq.tiddlyspace.com/#[[How%20do%20I%20install%20a%20TiddlyWiki%20Plugin%3F]]
... and tag it with "systemConfig" - not "tiddler"(without the
citationmarks...), give it the correct
title, save and reload the page.

Good luck.

Cheers Måns Mårtensson

> On Wednesday, November 28, 2012 12:57:20 AM UTC+11, Måns wrote:
>
> > Hi Daniela
>
> > If you can't use IE 7, for some reason - here's another option.:
>
> > Install TiddlyFileImportr* into your new document and import tiddlers from
> > your old document.
> > NB: Put both documents in the same folder.
>
> >http://repository.tiddlyspace.com/#TiddlyFileImportr<http://www.google.com/url?sa=D&q=http://repository.tiddlyspace.com/%2...>
> >  or
> >http://xn--mns-ula.dk/TW/Gilles/<http://www.google.com/url?sa=D&q=http://xn--mns-ula.dk/TW/Gilles/%23T...>
> > #TiddlyFileImportr<http://www.google.com/url?sa=D&q=http://repository.tiddlyspace.com/%2...>

Helge

Dec 4, 2012, 3:30:30 AM12/4/12
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Just one general question: which browser is recommended for TW? I use FF17 as my every-day browser and here apparently TiddlySaver breaks encoding so that's a no-go. Earlier FF versions do not really play nice with existing profiles and every other browser I tried did not work (i.e. did not save).

Opera 12.11 with Java 7 plugin (it even asks if TiddlySaver.jar should be loaded but still no saving)
Chrome 23
Safari 6.0.2

Currently I have no working browser available. Furthermore, I use TW in a Dropbox with several other people, probably not all of them going through hoops just to edit a page in the wiki. Is there one single browser that I can recommend?

Thanks!

Helge.

Jeremy Ruston

Dec 4, 2012, 5:42:41 AM12/4/12
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
I believe that these days Firefox 17 plus TiddlyFox is the best browser to use. The encoding issues with TiddlyFox you referred to are under investigation and haven't been affecting everyone in any case.

Best wishes

Jeremy

--
Jeremy Ruston

Message has been deleted

Trevor Hughes

Dec 10, 2012, 7:46:38 AM12/10/12
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
I never got any replies last time so I will ask again

What hope of resurrecting an ol GTD tiddlywiki - or how would I go
about exporting data from it to a new tddlywiki

The GTDTiddlyWiki website is bit longer there. I get errors as
detailed in my last email.

I like the layout of the GTD version - but could move to a standard
one but I would like to get my data. Its not much and not that
important but I would like it altogether if possible.

I have the tiddlyfox extension but it does not pop up anything when I
open my old gtd tiddlywiki.

Thanks

GTDTW Version 1.0.6 and <<version>> returns 1.2.32

Any help appreciated

Trev

Jeremy Ruston

Dec 12, 2012, 7:13:18 AM12/12/12
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Clive

These Firefox updates are becoming a nightmare. Thank you to Jeremy for TiddlyFox otherwise FF would have rendered TiddlyWiki useless. Could I possibly be cheeky and request for a feature in TiddlyFox ?

Thanks, much appreciated.

I'm rather uneasy about having write-access via my browser to the file:// domain. Firefox used to have a permission-per-file mechanism which mean I could just have specific files writeable (my wikis) and everything else was read-only. Is it possible to add this to TiddlyFox so that you can specify only particular files have write access?

Currently TiddlyFox requires you to confirm each file that asks for the permission to save changes to itself. It remembers that permission so it won't ask you again for the same file.

Furthermore, the goal of TiddlyFox isn't to provide a full set of file APIs, it is just focussed on giving HTML files the ability to save changes to themselves. This is a much less dangerous capability in the wrong hands.

Anyhow, I'd like to make some improvements in this area. In particular, right now it is possible for TiddlyWiki files to save arbitrary files using TiddlyFox, which I'd like to restrict. Furthermore,  it would be useful if there was a checkbox for "remember this file", and if one could inspect the list of files that have been granted permission, and revoke permissions if required.

At the moment I turn tiddlyfox on when I need to write and off the rest of the time. I'd like to leave it enabled permanently, but would feel a whole lot happeir if I could restrich which files were writable.

So I think my proposed restriction of TiddlyFox only allowing saves to the original file (and backups) would suit you too?

Best wishes

Jeremy

Thanks,
Clive

On Wednesday, 5 December 2012 21:12:37 UTC, Kev Richards wrote:
I had the same saving problem even after I installed the Tiddlyfox extension. My solution was to upgrade my TW files to the latest version of TW and then the extension worked. Tired of Firefox upgrades!!!

But first I had to downgrade my Firefox version to a version that just worked  - Version 16 for me. I'm using Sandboxie (another wonderful program I can't live without) so I did it all from a sandbox.

The new TW makes my template look a bit ugly and I get TypeError: netscape.security.PrivilegeManager is undefined messages.

On Saturday, July 28, 2012 6:05:32 PM UTC+1, Paulo Ferreira wrote:
Hey hello people.

I just found out TiddlyWiki and is really awesome but I'm having a problem here.

Everything I do works nice until the part where I click Save Changes and it opens a pop-up saying

It's not possible to save changes. Possible reasons include:
- your browser doesn't support saving (Firefox, Internet Explorer, Safari and Opera all work if properly configured)
- the pathname to your TiddlyWiki file contains illegal characters
- the TiddlyWiki HTML file has been moved or renamed

1st point how to configure it?

Jeremy Ruston
mailto:jeremy...@gmail.com

clive Smith

Dec 20, 2012, 4:56:16 AM12/20/12
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com, jeremy...@gmail.com
Hi Jeremy,

Many thanks for your reply. It sounds as though TiddyFox is much more restictive than I thought :-).

I look forward to the improvements you mention, having a whitelist of files you can write to seems the way forward to me. My brain is currently in tiddlyWiki and I'd be devastated it I couldn't get access to it anymore !

Clive

Richard Niolon

Dec 27, 2012, 5:00:34 PM12/27/12
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hey Trev
I don't know that I will know much on this, but...

The gtdwiki seems owned by nathan bowers. The site registration is still good until July, so he still has the name. However, I don't see any pages an his site so maybe a server is down, maybe he ended his site... You could try to email him and ask...
See http://www.whoisentry.com/domain/nathanbowers.com

As for what to do....
1) can you download and save changes to a new tiddlywiki? If yes... Worst case scenario would be you have to cut and paste info from the old to a new one... How many entries/tiddlers do you have in the old gtdwiki?
2) If no... Go to http://tiddlyspot.com/ and set up an online tiddlywiki for free... This would fix the saving issue since it's not saved locally... And they have some gtd preset template wikis there you might like better anyway...
3) if you can save locally and prefer to or find the gtd wiki templates too complex, get a basic tiddlywiki and make it a gtd one yourself
* install the foreachtiddler plugin, which is really handy and documented at udo's site with -lots- of examples
* based on the examples, you can set up your new tiddlywiki so your main tiddler at start up basically says foreachtiddler where tagged project, write the tiddler name in brackets... This gives you your projects and you can click the name to open them
* each project page basically says foreachtiddler where tagged projectname and task and active, write the tiddler name in brackets... Ths gives you your tasks for each project... Do the same foreachtiddler command with projectname and task and pending... Then with projectname and task and done... And you have your tasks by category for each project
* there's also an example of listing all tiddlers sorted by tag, which could be adapted to list your tasks by context (@home, @work, @mtg, @phone...)

I know that may sound like greek or something, but it's not that hard, and learning a tiny bit of tiddlywiki programming would open up a lot of new options for you...
Rich

Trevor Hughes

Dec 27, 2012, 6:41:47 PM12/27/12
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Dec 28, 2012 at 12:00 AM, Richard Niolon <rni...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hey Trev
I don't know that I will know much on this, but...

Thanks Richard

I actually managed to come right - what I did was download the latest beta version with tiddlyfox installed of course I followed some instructions on another thread and put everything in the same folder and then simply used the imp[ort facility to import all the tiddlers. I then found a gtd theme that looked almost exactly the same and I am now a happy camper with all my data intact and the latest version.

 I will try keep it updated from now on!

Trev

Daniel

Feb 22, 2013, 2:31:14 PM2/22/13
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

1. After update my Firefox (OS X 10.8.2)  to version 19.0 I was having problems saving changes in my old TiddlyWiki files. I received the very same error message you described.

2. I got the  TiddlyFox extension for Firefox 1.0alpha3. It worked perfectly fine with Firefox 19.0 with the empty.html file I got today (22 February 2013) in tiddlywiki.com

3. Unfortunaly the extension did not work with my old TiddlyWiki files (they were updated for the last time in December 6 2012, using an updated Firefox without any extension, but if I remember well I did some ad hoc modification in the Firefox configuration files that I found somewhere). I also could not upgrade.

4. So I open the empty.html in Firefox and tried to  import all  tiddlers from one of my old TiddlyWiki files. I worked at first. It was possible to save the updated empty.html file!!

5. I closed firefox and open it again. I opened the modified empty.html file. I did not receive the usual message from TiddlyFox telling me

TiddlyFox: Enabling TiddlyWiki file saving capability for:
file:///.../empty.html

and I was unable to save changes again!!

6. So I realized one of my imported Tiddlers was the problem. I isolated the problem in the Tiddler MarkupPostHead, that contains the Google Analytics tracker code:

type="text/javascript">

var _gaq = _gaq || [];
_gaq.push(['_setAccount', 'UA-XXXXX']);
_gaq.push(['_trackPageview']);

(function() {
var ga = document.createElement('script'); ga.type = 'text/javascript'; ga.async = true;
ga.src = ('https:' == document.location.protocol ? 'https://ssl' : 'http://www') + '.google-analytics.com/ga.js';
var s = document.getElementsByTagName('script')[0]; s.parentNode.insertBefore(ga, s);
})();

</script>

if I do not import this one the file saving capacities works!!

I hope this helps.

My old TiddlyWiki  file  are this

(there are in portuguese)

Daniel

roygbiv666

Nov 19, 2013, 8:39:10 PM11/19/13
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi

I was unable to save TW file using Safari. Safari Version 5.1.10 (6534.59.10) on a Mac OS X Version 10.6.8

Found out about the add-on for Firefox, so I installed Firefox Version 25.0.1 and the TiddlyWiki Add-on 1.0alpha18 from here:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/tiddlyfox/

It doesn't work either. The error is:

It's not possible to save changes. Possible reasons include:
- your browser doesn't support saving (Firefox, Internet Explorer, Safari and Opera all work if properly configured)
- the pathname to your TiddlyWiki file contains illegal characters
- the TiddlyWiki HTML file has been moved or renamed

I take it this is a common problem? Any ideas?

Jeremy Ruston

Nov 20, 2013, 3:21:39 AM11/20/13
to TiddlyWiki
There are known problems with Oracle's Java implementation that prevents Safari from working with TiddlySaver.jar.

In terms of TiddlyFox, it sounds like you don't have it installed - is there a "TiddlyFox!" menu item at the bottom of the Tools menu in Firefox?

Best wishes

Jeremy

roygbiv666

Nov 20, 2013, 8:33:50 PM11/20/13
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com, jeremy...@gmail.com
 TiddlyFox is in the Tools menu, yes.

Jeremy Ruston

Nov 21, 2013, 3:36:01 AM11/21/13
to roygbiv666, TiddlyWiki
On Thu, Nov 21, 2013 at 1:33 AM, roygbiv666 <roy.rr...@gmail.com> wrote:
 TiddlyFox is in the Tools menu, yes.

And if you download a fresh TW to your hard disc, and then open it in Firefox, do you get the alert from TiddlyFox asking whether saving should be enabled?

Best wishes

Jeremy

roygbiv666

Nov 22, 2013, 7:46:47 PM11/22/13
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com, roygbiv666, jeremy...@gmail.com
After installing TiddlyFox in FIrefox, I downloaded a new TiddlyWiki.

I was able to open the new file and save it (for reasons beyond me).

Then I used the import feature to import all my old tiddlers and it worked.