[tank] new and updated stuff

chris...@gmail.com

Mar 25, 2014, 10:23:28 AM3/25/14
to tidd...@googlegroups.com

It's been a while since I've posted anything about Tank

https://tank.peermore.com

and there's been a few changes and the feedback pipeline has dried up
a bit so I thought I would post again with some news on recent changes
and thoughts. I encourage you to check it out and let me know what you
do or don't like, or something you would like to see to like it more.

I'm now using it as my daily note taker and I'm enjoying it. For some
reason, maybe simply because it is new and different, I'm writing more
than I was in the months prior.

Most of the changes I've made in the past month have been oriented
towards my own use cases. This means:

* making the simple wiki in a single tank side of the system work smoothly,
and a bit less ugly
* making it possible to keep bookmarks[1]
* connecting twitter and tank with Zapier[2] to put my tweets in a
tank[3]
* enabling extraclusion and transclusion
* enabling effective interoperation with other tools (the Tank-Key and
CORS stuff below)

Within the next few days I'm planning to create a tool to migrate some
of my TiddlySpace content to Tank. There seem to be two options for
how this could be done, described in rough notes here:

https://tank.peermore.com/tanks/tank-notes/TiddlySpaceToTank

I'm currently leaning towards the second, partly as a learning
exercise, but mostly to make it easier for people without easy access
to command line Python can give it a go.

(Please note that in that description I make it pretty clear that
migrating TiddlyWiki oriented spaces is harder than migrating just
content (which most of my content is). Tank is (or will be[4]) fine
at hosting TiddlyWiki but does it much differently than TiddlySpace.)

Please find below more detail of the changes made since the beginning
of March. I welcome feedback. Thanks!

* A comp for keeping bookmarks in a tank[1].

* The presentation on the front page has been tuned up a bit to
(hopefully) be a bit more inviting and both more descriptive and
less overwhelming. There's also a logout button on there now.

* The included tw5 has been udpated to the 5.0.8 beta.

* When searching it is possible to search either the entire site or
just the current tank.

* Trash can for deleting on every deletable tiddler page.

* Delete an entire tank from the policy manager.

* Metadata with search and recent changes lists.

* Links to navigate from page to page in a tank by modified time.

* Provide a list of readable tanks at /tanks

* Automatically store binary tiddlers on S3 and use-by-reference to save
space and vastly increase performance per tank.

* Do some client side adjustment to transcluded content to fix links
and provide a link to the source tiddler.

* Adjust CSS throughout to get a better set of menus and headers on
the top.

* When creating a new tiddler, inform the creator of other tiddlers
with a similar name in case they wish to transclude or otherwise
reference existing content.

* Change auth handling to allow X-Tank-Key header with an auth key
created at /auth. This simplifies access from other tools.

* Add support for shareable authed privateer links[5].

* Add complex CORS support, enabling authenticated access from other
domains.

[1] https://tank.peermore.com/tanks/bookmarker/index
[2] https://zapier.com/
[3] https://tank.peermore.com/tanks/anticdent/index
[4] Because of the way plugins are loaded there may an adjustment
period while bugs with some plugins are worked out. There hasn't
been that much testing yet.
[5] https://tank.peermore.com/tanks/tank-notes/Privateer

--
Chris Dent http://burningchrome.com/
[...]

HansWobbe

Mar 25, 2014, 11:07:39 AM3/25/14
to tidd...@googlegroups.com
Chris:

It's way past time that I acknowledge my appreciation of what you are doing with Tank.  From what little I've seen so far, it strikes me as a very promising direction.

I'm engaged in building a new home just now, a situation that I'm hoping will be finished in time for pre-Christmas occupancy, so I have very little time for anything else.   That being said, I am trying to keep up with these developments and hope to at least try a few trivial things that help me move towards integrating my uses of TW5, Tank, Twitter, etc.  If I do get to work towards this a bit, I'll certainly make notes as I proceed since I generally need to leave a trail of instructions for myself when I am "interrupt driven" like this and don't have time to concentrate on what I would like to be doing.

Thanks again for your work.

Regards,
Hans

chris...@gmail.com

Mar 25, 2014, 5:22:02 PM3/25/14
to tidd...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, 25 Mar 2014, chris...@gmail.com wrote:

> It's been a while since I've posted anything about Tank

One more thing:

I create a twitter account for tank related tweets. It seems the done
thing these days:

https://twitter.com/yrtank

That's "your tank", I guess. All the shinier more sensible options
were already taken and I wanted something short.