Great time at the TPFR 2-Year Anniversary Party!!!

Daniel Davala

Apr 3, 2011, 3:29:26 PM4/3/11
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Those of you who made it out know what an awesome time we all had Friday night at the 2-Year Anniversary Party/Meeting for TPFR.  Thanks to everyone that came to celebrate the success of the club, and to ring in a new and exciting year with many big plans ahead!  For those who couldn't make it, I want to share a little bit about what we did and a few pictures as well.

First, we honored our OFFICERS for all they do and have done for the club.  At the next opportunity, please be sure to reach out and thank each of them for their service.

John Bilotta - V.P. of TPFR:  Besides always providing me with good wise counsel and feedback, John has been instrumental in the training up of additional teachers in the club as well as constantly providing clinics and learning opportunities for all TPFR members.  If you have ever attended a Saturday/Sunday morning casting clinic at Fletcher's, you have John Bilotta to thank for starting and nurturing this incredible service.  John also opens his home up to us as a comfortable place to hold officer's meetings, and for that we are thankful as well.

Melody Davala - Treasurer of TPFR:  What can I say, of course I am a bit partial here!  But I'd like everyone to know that besides keeping the books, making bank runs, keeping track of contributors, sending out letters for tax purposes, paying our bills for insurance, P.O. box, website, etc., and compiling/filing our annual report with the FFF, Melody is truly the backbone of this club in so many ways.  She (and Virginia of course) is constantly running TPFR errands, shopping for our events, ordering our hats, finding sitters for VA so she can make it to the Beer Ties and other events, and otherwise clearing and keeping our schedule so that it all can happen - and all with a great big smile on her face!  And during the very busy times, if you ever notice how many of my posts go out at 2AM or 3AM, know that it is with and because of the constant support of my best friend in this whole world, Melody.  This club could not exist as it does without her, and we should all be thankful for her service.

Trent Jones - Membership Coordinator of TPFR:  Trent is constantly challenging me to do better, to take something good and make it great, and to push just a bit harder to make TPFR events and our presence at shows be of the highest quality possible.  I'm not saying it is always easy to hear, but I am very thankful to have Trent to hold me to the fire.  Additionally, when I reach outside of our own club for support such as I do for the VA Fly Fishing Festival event, Trent is the one following up via phone and email with ALL Clubs and Casting Instructors in our entire Mid-Atlantic region making sure they understand our cause, our purpose, and our needs.  Besides all of this, he is really funny and keeps us all laughing pretty hard!

Dalton Terrell - Secretary/Webmaster of TPFR:  If you are viewing this on line via the TPFR website, you have Dalton Terrell to thank!  Among the things in this world I know nothing about, how to put up and maintain a website is at the top of the list.  Dalton is constantly available at a moment's notice to make whatever changes to the site I ask, and he makes plenty of improvements on his own as well.  Dalton also serves as our secretary and keeps very thorough notes and minutes from out meetings, and he volunteers and serves at all of our events (unless, of course, he is gallivanting around somewhere off-grid with Trent).  We also have Dalton to thank for being the originator of the BEER TIE idea!

Gain Bunten - Conservation Officer of TPFR:  Gain was one of the first to step up and assume an officer's position at TPFR.  During his time of service, Gain attended officer's meetings and provided insights and suggestions.  His posts on the TPFR message board also kept us informed of environmental issues facing our watershed and those around us.  Gain is stepping down as Conservation Officer after a full year of service, and we thank him for all of his support.  If anyone with a heart toward conservation and environmental causes would like to pick up the torch, please contact me directly about serving in the coming year.

Thanks again to all of our officers for their dedicated service.  This club would not be the resource it is without all of their work.

Next, we established the first round of ANNUAL TPFR AWARDS!  These awards are designed to give recognition to specific members for their contributions to TPFR.  The members that receive these awards exemplify what defines us here at TPFR, most notably our desire to inspire others with our passion for the sport of fly fishing.  As annual awards, they will maintain these member's names in their honor, but will be awarded to any member that goes above and beyond in exhibiting these traits.  Congratulations to these members, and thank you on behalf of the club for your inspiration to us all.

The Annual TPFR awards are as follows and were awarded this year to their namesake:

Tom Urman Service Award - For loyal, dependable, and dedicated service to TPFR!

John Bilotta Teaching Award - For giving of time and talent to the benefit of others!

Todd Kim Photography Award - For images that capture the TPFR experience!

Rich Marek 5-weight Award - For inspiring others to fish with what you have!

Rob Snowhite Fly Tying Award - For tying innovative patterns and inspiring others to do the same!

Frank Polito/Steve Klufas Personal Development Award - For making great strides in fly fishing knowledge and experience!

Victor Fels Future of Fly Fishing Award - For bringing fly fishing to the next great generation!

(For those honored above that could not be present at the meeting, please drop by the Arlington Orvis shop at some point to pick up your certificate.)

I would now like to thank the individuals, companies, and organizations that donated items to our incredibly successful raffle.  A HUGE THANK YOU goes out to:

Beau Beasley for donating a copy of his new book, Fly Fishing the Mid-Atlantic.  In this book, Beau has made prominent mention of our river, our club, and yours truly, and we thank him for the exposure this gives to us all!  (a $29.95 value)

Richie Farino and Urban Angler for donating two tickets to the upcoming Fly Fishing Film Tour this coming Wednesday, April 6 at the Arlington Cinema N Draft house!  (a $50 value)

Green Mountain Digital for donating a new Orvis Fly Fishing App for I-phone.  (a $14.95 value)

Orvis - Arlington, VA for donating 1-dozen Shad Flies in an Orvis fly box.  (a $34.00 value)

Orvis - Arlington, VA for donating a Shooting Star Two-Handed Fly Rod of the recipients choice (a $425-$465 value)

Congratulations to all of the recipients of these fine gifts.  I have no doubt they will all be put to great use!

And, of course, A HUGE SHOUT OUT AND TREMENDOUS THANK YOU to everyone who contributed to our cause by donating money and making such an important contribution to our future.  This donation is so much more for all of those we will touch with our unique style of teaching and those who find a home in this TPFR community.  We can not do the things we do without this kind of support!  So again, thank you all for your kindness and provision.

As a result of the raffles, the hat sales, and all of the generous donations (a few of which came via mail), TPFR managed to bring in $950 at the 2-Year Anniversary Party!!!!!!!!!!!  Rest assured we will be putting it all to great use, and showering it back onto all of our members as a result!  Thank you all again for believing in us, seeing our worth, and investing in our future!  Great things to come!

I would be remiss if I didn't mention the fun we had playing "Blind Folded Woolly Bugger".  Participants had one chance to sit and tie a Woolly Bugger while blind-folded.  At the end of the evening, all who competed presented their flies to Trent Jones for judgement.  Dalton Terrell took the top honors, with a very impressive fly and as a result he won a grab bag of materials also donated by Orvis - Arlington, VA.  I'll let the pictures tell the rest of the story.

That's it for the wrap-up folks!  I will continue to post in the coming days about our volunteer needs for our upcoming events.  Also, the SPRING FUNDRAISING DRIVE has not ended with the meeting.  If you couldn't make it to the meeting and still wish to contribute, you can send a fully tax-deductible donation by making a check payable to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders and sending it to:

Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
P.O. Box 101761
Arlington, VA 22210

Thanks again to everyone that makes this club the incredible resource it is to all who share our passion, and to those who just don't know they do yet!

Dan

IMG_4257.jpg
IMG_4277.jpg
IMG_4280.jpg
IMG_4284.jpg
IMG_4286.jpg
IMG_4259.jpg
IMG_4264.jpg
IMG_4268.jpg
IMG_4269.jpg
IMG_4270.jpg
IMG_4271.jpg
IMG_4273.jpg
IMG_4275.jpg

Victor Fels

Apr 3, 2011, 5:54:51 PM4/3/11
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
The party looks great, to bad I couldn't make it, looks like fun
On Apr 3, 3:29 pm, Daniel Davala <daniel.dav...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
> donated items to our incredibly successful raffle.  A HUGE THANK YOU goes
> out to:
>
> *Beau Beasley* for donating a copy of his new book, Fly Fishing the
> Mid-Atlantic.  In this book, Beau has made prominent mention of our river,
> our club, and yours truly, and we thank him for the exposure this gives to
> us all!  (a $29.95 value)
>
> *Richie Farino and Urban Angler* for donating two tickets to the upcoming
> Fly Fishing Film Tour this coming Wednesday, April 6 at the Arlington Cinema
> N Draft house!  (a $50 value)
>
> *Green Mountain Digital* for donating a new Orvis Fly Fishing App for
> I-phone.  (a $14.95 value)
>
> *Orvis - Arlington, VA* for donating 1-dozen Shad Flies in an Orvis fly
> box.  (a $34.00 value)
>
> *Orvis - Arlington, VA* for donating a Shooting Star Two-Handed Fly Rod of

Casey Peltier

Apr 3, 2011, 7:32:38 PM4/3/11
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
This wandered into my inbox this evening.  Any takers?

Lake Accotink Park Fly Tying Classes...

Students will learn proper fly tying techniques to

create nymphs, streamers and dry flies for small

mouth bass and trout. Participants are responsible

for purchasing their own supplies.

Wednesdays, 6:30-9:00 pm. $42 ($57 Non-County).

Dates: 4/13 & 4/27 – Code: 8502802201

7/13 & 7/20 – Code: 8503802201

8/17 & 8/24 – Code: 8503802202

At Lake Accotink

Register online at

www.fairfaxcounty.gov/parks/parktakes.htm,
or call the Park directly at 703/569-0285.

Victoria "Tori" Kantner
Program Coordinator
Lake Accotink Park
7500 Accotink Park Road
Springfield, VA 22150
Ph: 703/569-3464 or 703/569-0285
victoria...@fairfaxcounty.gov

Rich, Marek

Apr 5, 2011, 10:19:13 AM4/5/11
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com

Dan,

I can’t even begin to thank you and the officers enough for all your hard work the past couple years. Taking this grass-roots project and turning it into such an unbelievably successful club is truly remarkable. Your poise and leadership is inspirational!

I also wanted to personally thank you for recognizing me and my 5 weight. Fishing with what you have and making the best out it has always been how I approached fly-fishing. My 5 weight and I have been through a lot together and she’s held up exceptionally well to the rigors of the Potomac, especially some hefty striper runs, cat fish and bass. I only hope she has another shad run in her…

As you know, my wife and I welcomed our first child a month ago. I can only hope that one day he follows in my footsteps and maybe earns his father’s award! Wouldn’t that be something…

All the best,

Marek Rich