Switch Rod Lines

TomG

Nov 3, 2011, 11:45:18 AM11/3/11
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
This question is directed mainly to Dan Davala, Jedi Spey Master, but all comments are welcomed.  I recently picked up a used Winston Boron IIx 11' 7wt Switch Rod and was wondering what lines I should consider buying for this rod.  Although I have various single handed fly rods and 2 spey rods (12 1/2' and 14') this will be my first Switch Rod. I assume I will want a floating line as well as a sinking line.  I am a little confused about what line weight I should use.  The Winston website says this particular rod is designed for 401-432 grain lines however when I look at the Orvis Switch line it recommends a 380 grain line for a 7 weight rod.  I've also seen recommendations to use a Compact Skagit line for this rod.  As always, your thoughtful comments and recommendations are appreciated.

Tom

Dan Davala - Founder/President

Nov 3, 2011, 12:24:58 PM11/3/11
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Sorry Tom, neither a Jedi or a Master, but thank you for the vote of confidence.  I'm just a student on a perpetual learning curve like everyone else here.  I have no experience with that rod myself, but my time casting many lines with many rods (from many manufacturers) has taught me that all of them will throw a VERY wide range of line weights (and head lengths) if you adjust your stroke accordingly.

If you visit RIO's website and check out their "Spey Line Recommendations", they seem to favor a slightly lower "grain window" on that rod, somewhere in the neighborhood of 325-400grains depending on the caster's preference.  I tend to favor the lighter end of a rod's "grain window" for Scandi lines and short to mid belly lines and for touch and go casting.  For Skagit, I generally favor the heavy end of a rod's grain window.  I have an Orvis Switch line #7 and a Beulah Elixir #7 all spooled up on reels if you'd like to borrow them for a few days to see if you like them (no charge or obligations of course).  Both are 380 grains.

Better yet, if you can link up with TPFR V.P. John Bilotta , he has both the RIO Steelhead Scandi and RIO Skagit Flight "Mega-Head" kits complete with every head in each line type.  Couple that with a short lesson and you are absolutely certain to find the right line combination for you and your rod.  John is an excellent two-handed caster and teacher in all styles.  I'm sure Richie will chime in on this thread as well since I think he has that rod and fishes with it, so I'd listen to what he has to say too.  In the end, it will come down to your own opinion and preference, in which you will find that whatever works well for you is the RIGHT choice.

One final note, when casting "Scandi" style lines, leader choice is very important.  Your total leader length should be around 15' on an 11' rod (give or take a foot).  I learned this the hard way with lots of blown anchors.  Set up a little time on the water with John.  He will set you straight.

Dan Davala

John Bilotta

Nov 3, 2011, 12:34:57 PM11/3/11
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Tom,

Agree with Dan's advise, and if you need anything give me a call 301-351-0121.

John