Two piece rod carry on?

Brian Ziff-Levine

Oct 7, 2011, 1:21:23 PM10/7/11
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com

Hey everyone. Just wondering if any of you have any wisdom when it comes to whether the airlines hassle you about bringing two piece rods on the plane? I'm headed to my parents place in FL and want to get after some snook but I hate hate hate checking bags because they almost always lose them when I do.

Thanks!

Brian

Sent from my mobile device.

Scott Stankus

Oct 7, 2011, 1:25:42 PM10/7/11
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I had no problems carrying on a 2-piece rod in a tube when flying United out of BWI in July.

--Scott

Jack

Oct 8, 2011, 8:34:12 AM10/8/11
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I've done this quite a few times and only had problems twice. In both
cases I made a quick short argument that it did not take up a lot of
space and could easily be held in my lap, in the overhead, or on the
floor without it getting in anyone's way. In both cases they agreed
and let me on the flight. It always seems to vary depending on who's
working at that time. But largely, I've had no problems.

On Oct 7, 1:25 pm, Scott Stankus <sstan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I had no problems carrying on a 2-piece rod in a tube when flying United out
> of BWI in July.
>
> --Scott

Charlie Gloeckner

Oct 8, 2011, 2:01:00 PM10/8/11
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Just got back from a San Juan trip and my fishing buddy had two 2 piece rods.  They let him put them in the captains/crew closet right when you walk on the plane.

The San Juan was awesome- we averaged 10 large browns/rainbows a day on tiny midge and blue winged olive drys.

Aden

Oct 9, 2011, 8:28:22 AM10/9/11
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I am an airline pilot and the law (not the rules of the airline)
states that the carry on must fit in the overhead or under the seat in
front of you. It is that simple. If a crew member says it won't work
that's the end of the story. The Feds are checking up on this lately.
However, it would have to be a hell of a long 2 piece to not fit into
an overhead. I occasionally take my rod to work with me and the TSA is
the only real obstacle. Don't try to bring pliers lol. Also, I have
asked TSA at about 15 different airports and you are allowed to bring
tackle with you in your carry on.

ang...@erols.com

Oct 9, 2011, 9:26:10 AM10/9/11
to Aden, Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I travel frequently with 2 piece rods and have yet to meet an overhead bin they would not fit in - except some tiny commuter jets.

Sent from my HTC EVO

NixieDC

Oct 10, 2011, 5:53:13 PM10/10/11
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
thx, Aden.

I had a very bad experience with Delta in ATL about 7-8 years ago,
when they were going to charge me $25/fly rod tube. They called their
chief of security, who ended up helping me tape the rod tubes
together, and they didn't charge me. However, I got "special" TSA
treatment during security and then again directly before boarding the
plane, as they made me open up not only my flyfishing backpack, but my
modular flyfishing vest. What made this even more aggravating was
that I had flown to ATL on Midwest Express, which, as was ME's way,
gave me no hassles whatsoever. And I told that to the Delta ticket
agent at the desk, after I'd been switched from ME to DE for the
return from ATL to DCA.

Glad to hear I can bring my fly rods in my multi-rod tube as carryon.
I've been very fortunate over the years with luggage, and have
traveled a good deal. Law of averages says my luck will eventually
run out.

CAP Arlington

Oct 11, 2011, 8:36:19 AM10/11/11
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I once had someone at a gate tell me I had to check it, but she was
under the impression that it was a sword. Once we clarified I was in
the go zone. I got lots of weird looks on the NYC subway from people
that thought it was a rifle.

Bruce Mathews

Oct 11, 2011, 11:29:04 AM10/11/11
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
You guys are carrying on about two piece rods but last spring I was returning from Grand Cayman and after having flown down with a couple of 4 piece fly rods and a 4 piece spinning in a nifty Orvis carrying case I was stopped at security and firmly told that TSA had changed the rules and I could not carry on fishing rods.   This was one week after I carried them on down to GC.  I suddenly had to run back and check the case (luckily I had a lock).  As I walked back to get on the plane I tallied up the contents and was approaching $2k (and I only have TFO rods).  I'm thinking that when they lose it I'll be lucky to get $200 then I remembered that at the last moment that morning I put my hearing aids in that case (there goes another $5k).  We waited a long time a Dulles and finally the case came up in the area of coolers and golf clubs.  The hearing aids will be in my ear or pocket next time.

Bruce Mathews
703.772.7167

Oct 11, 2011, 12:11:04 PM10/11/11
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com

As usual, TSA has no idea what they’re talking about.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1188.shtm

Direct from the TSA site:

Fishing Rods / Poles

Fishing Rods are permitted as carry-on and checked baggage. However, please check with your air carrier to confirm that it fits within their size limitations for carry-on items. Ultimately, it is the carrier's decision as to whether or not it can be transported as carry-on baggage.

Tackle Equipment

Fishing equipment should be placed in your checked baggage. Some tackle equipment can be considered sharp and dangerous. Expensive reels or fragile tackle such as fly's should be packed in your carry-on baggage.

It figures they wouldn’t get it right.  They can’t even spell flies right.  Carry a copy of it with you when you travel.  4-piece rods are allowed on the planes by TSA.  It’s the airline that may not allow it.

Richard Farino

Urban Angler

www.urbanangler.com

108 N. Washington Street           206 5th Ave 3rd Floor

Alexandria, VA  22314                   New York, NY  10010

P. 703.527.2524                             P. 212.689.6400

F. 703.527.3313                              F. 212.689.6410

Lane Thurgood

Oct 11, 2011, 12:25:11 PM10/11/11
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I always handcarry a printout from the TSA website as quoted by Richie below.

I have never needed to show it to any TSA agent.  I thought I was going to have to do it for the first time when I flew out of Dulles this summer.  The agent wanted to see inside the tube, but before I needed to offer any explanation, he looked inside and said, "I just needed to make sure it was a fishing pole and not a pool cue.  Fishing rods good, pool cues bad."

McFly

Oct 11, 2011, 4:42:18 PM10/11/11
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I took a trip to Orlando a few years back and the airlines didn't cry to much about my two piece rod case, just let them know ahead of time and forget taking it on the plane to your seat. Most airline will charge a small fee but most people checking in the bags will let it slide because it takes up very little space. I can't say I've had a bad experience with an airline so far. I do remember when my friend got on a plane and started complaining just a couple weeks after 9-11, he did this on a regular basis to get a free upgrade those people on that plane beat him down.