Wet Wading Shoes

Morgan Franklin

Mar 23, 2012, 10:32:58 AM3/23/12
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Spring is here and soon to come summer, judging by the weather faster than usual. I know a couple people here have talked about wet wading, what shoes do you wear? I like to kayak and wet wade but what annoys me the most is footwear, I often find myself just ditching shoes in general and hoping not to step on anything too sharp. I am considering those ugly looking Five Fingers but I am not too sure how they will be on the rocks, I am sure they will be better than my bare feet.

Any thoughts?

Dalton Terrell

Mar 23, 2012, 11:30:40 AM3/23/12
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I prefer using my regular wading boots, with neoprene socks over a pair of thick wool socks to get the fit right. I've tried water shoes and old running shoes, but neither gives the traction you get with wading boots.

Dalton

Ryan Houlihan

Mar 23, 2012, 12:14:10 PM3/23/12
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I just picked up a pair so Columbia Drainmakers for kayaking. They
came highly recommended by some hardcore kayak fisherman. Haven't
water tested yet but they are very comfortable.

On Mar 23, 10:32 am, Morgan Franklin <morganwfrank...@gmail.com>

Joe Molloy

Mar 23, 2012, 12:16:58 PM3/23/12
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I use Vibram Five fingers for running and have used them in the water briefly. I found them to be not very good for general wading and much prefer something a bit sturdier. Mine also go a lot of little rocks and sand in them very easily which was annoying. However, if you were in a kayak mostly they could be very nice since they are ultra lightweight and comfortable but I cannot speak from experience using them in a kayak (yet).

Also, for what it's worth, I was using the Vibram KSO. I know they make some other models that may be better suited for water so the issues i experienced may not be a problem in those.

joe

On Fri, Mar 23, 2012 at 10:32 AM, Morgan Franklin <morganw...@gmail.com> wrote:
Spring is here and soon to come summer, judging by the weather faster than usual. I know a couple people here have talked about wet wading, what shoes do you wear? I like to kayak and wet wade but what annoys me the most is footwear, I often find myself just ditching shoes in general and hoping not to step on anything too sharp. I am considering those ugly looking Five Fingers but I am not too sure how they will be on the rocks, I am sure they will be better than my bare feet.

Any thoughts?

Scott Stankus

Mar 23, 2012, 12:17:57 PM3/23/12
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
When I wet wade, I usually wear a pair of neoprene socks and my wading boots. I got a pair of the Teva Wading shoes for Christmas, but haven't tried them yet...

--Scott

On Fri, Mar 23, 2012 at 10:32 AM, Morgan Franklin <morganw...@gmail.com> wrote:
Spring is here and soon to come summer, judging by the weather faster than usual. I know a couple people here have talked about wet wading, what shoes do you wear? I like to kayak and wet wade but what annoys me the most is footwear, I often find myself just ditching shoes in general and hoping not to step on anything too sharp. I am considering those ugly looking Five Fingers but I am not too sure how they will be on the rocks, I am sure they will be better than my bare feet.

Any thoughts?

Brad Gentner

Mar 23, 2012, 1:08:21 PM3/23/12
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I second this. I got a nice pair of Simms neoprene socks that work terrific.

GSFeder

Mar 23, 2012, 4:23:21 PM3/23/12
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com, tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I do this, too, with a pair of Orvis neoprene socks.

-- Greg

Sent from my iPhone

Randy

Mar 24, 2012, 10:32:44 AM3/24/12
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I switched to the NRS ATB Wetshoe when felt starting going over to the
darkside. Great grip, neoprene warmth, good support, and going one
size up you can use with waders or neoprene socks. Warmer in the
winter than my old felt boots and even if they freeze overnight they
are not stiff. Work very well if you are a kayaker, minimal stuff to
get hung up on footpegs. For the really slimy late summer Shenandoah
I'm thinking of installing hex screws in the sole, plenty of depth for
this modification. Best of all, reasonably priced.

Richard Farino

Mar 24, 2012, 11:21:34 AM3/24/12
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Quick response as we're swamped here today:

Neoprene guard socks. You wear them in place of waders when you decide to
get wet. You can still use your wading boots.

Don't fish the Potomac on foot without good wading shoes, and I recommend
studded boots. The hard granite and quartz with all the gooey and slippery
algae growing on it can be tough.

Also, keep in mind when fishing outside of DC on the Potomac, MD owns the
river to the VA riverbank and felt soled waders are banned, so just stepping
in the water will make you liable to ~ a $120 fine.

Richard Farino
Urban Angler VA | 108 N. Washington Street 2nd Floor | Alexandria, VA 22314

(703) 527-2524 | fax: (703) 527-3313 | ric...@urbanangler.com

Stephen Christopherson

Mar 24, 2012, 11:23:35 AM3/24/12
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I too have had my frustrations with warm weather shoes and so I've gone
to converse high tops, worn with wool socks, a tip I picked up from
Sheridan Anderson's book, The Curtis Creek Manifesto. This is what I
wear in my kayak now, especially when I'm wading a lot. The down side
is they don't keep out sand. Military jungle boots would work too.

I will also wear neoprene wading socks with my regular wading boots in
the Upper Potomac, or where the rocks are too slick and I'm boat-less.
I put hex screws in my wading boots - works great, but I have to replace
them often.

The NRS ATB looks like a good choice too.

Carl Zmola

Mar 24, 2012, 3:23:01 PM3/24/12
On 03/24/2012 11:23 AM, Stephen Christopherson wrote:
> I too have had my frustrations with warm weather shoes and so I've
> gone to converse high tops, worn with wool socks, a tip I picked up
> from Sheridan Anderson's book, The Curtis Creek Manifesto. This is
> what I wear in my kayak now, especially when I'm wading a lot. The
> down side is they don't keep out sand. Military jungle boots would
> work too.
I use the jungle boots and they work well except when there is a lot of
sand. The drain holes in the boots will allow sand in. The Jungle
boots are great on rock bottoms because the provide better support than
even wading boots. High Tops sound a lot more comfortable if you are in
and out of a kayak.

Carl

Morgan Franklin

Mar 27, 2012, 8:35:32 AM3/27/12
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Well it really sounds like I need to invest in waders, shoes and the neoprene socks! Until then I like the converse and the jungle boot ideas, both well within my price range. I am so intrigued by the Vibrams for other uses so I am going to get a pair w/ my REI dividend. I will let you know how they work as well.

Morgan

Morgan Franklin

McFly

Apr 2, 2012, 3:03:39 PM4/2/12
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I altered an old pair of converse high tops, I got a small piece of indoor outdoor carpet traced an outline of the shoe and glued the carpet to the bottom of the shoes. I read about this in an old dry fly fishing book by Charles Dickey. The shoes cost me 13.00 at Walmart and the piece of outdoor carpet was 2.00. I just can't see myself spending 65.00-100.00 to buy wading shoes, I much rather spend that money on flies, tippet, leaders or new line.

John Bilotta

Apr 2, 2012, 3:32:33 PM4/2/12
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Spin in some sheet metel screws for studs and you are all set. Seriously.
Chrs
John

Rob Snowhite

Apr 2, 2012, 4:16:26 PM4/2/12
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Walmart sells a pair of water shoes similar to those popularized by the brand Keen. They are $16. I've worn them on flats, in my boats, and wet wading. They don't offer any ankle support or protection so I would advise not wearing them on the upper and middle Potomac. My last pair were replaced after 5 summers.

Rob Snowhite

Apr 2, 2012, 6:43:38 PM4/2/12
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Carpet will, or at least should, be classified as felt.  I am going to have to try John's suggestion of screws. It sounds like it will be an improvement over rubber soles.

--
Carl

Stephen Christopherson

Apr 2, 2012, 7:15:16 PM4/2/12
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Yes. The sheet metal screws work very well.

Dalton Terrell

Apr 12, 2012, 4:20:45 PM4/12/12
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Hmm, has anyone tried these new Korkers Hyjack shoes yet?  http://www.korkers.com/footwear/multi-sport/hyjack.html?wwparam=1334261336

I think the local Orvis shops and Urban Angler stores carry them and they look like a decent option for wet wading. Not as cheap as Chuck Tailor's but maybe more functional. They look especially appealing for carrying into backpacking trips where you can save a pound and a half or more over regular wading boots.

GSFeder

Apr 12, 2012, 4:40:11 PM4/12/12
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com, tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I have Korkers boots, and the soles work great. If you don't need the ankle support, go for it.

-- Greg

Sent from my iPhone

Richard Farino

Apr 12, 2012, 4:51:34 PM4/12/12
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com

We stock them here.  They’re really lightweight and like Greg mentioned, if the ankle support isn’t an issue, they’re awesome.

Perfect for fishing from a boat/pontoon/kayak/canoe.  The mesh holes are large enough for water to pass through but small enough for bits of annoying gravel from getting in.

Like all wading shoes, you go up a size to wear with a wader or neoprene sock, and closer to your normal shoe size if you’re just wearing a wet wading sock or barefoot.

Richard Farino

Urban Angler VA | 108 N. Washington Street  2nd Floor | Alexandria, VA 22314 Google_Maps_Marker