FIRST EVER D.C. SPEY CLAVE A HUGE SUCCESS!!!!!

Daniel Davala

Apr 26, 2011, 8:53:33 AM4/26/11
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
By all accounts the FIRST EVER D.C. SPEY CLAVE was a tremendous success.  Over 60 people convened at Fletcher's Cove to teach, learn, and share their love and passion for two-handed rods and Spey Casting in all of its forms.  A HUGE THANK YOU goes out to our instructors and volunteers for making our SPEY CLAVE the hit that it was.

Thank you to FFF Certified Instructor Philip Krista for teaching about Traditional Spey Casting, its history and its origin.  Thank you to Eric Reed from Beaulah Fly Rods for teaching about overhead beach and surf casting.  Thank you to FFF Certified Instructors Andy Manley, Dalton Terrell, and Trent Jones for teaching one-on-one single and double hand casting throughout the event.  Thank you to Brad Gentner and Victor Kernus for grilling non-stop to feed the crowd.  Brad brought his own grill and Victor provided some of his own home-made venison sausages which were phenomenal!  Thank you to Todd Kim for professionally photographing the event.  See some of Todd's excellent photos HERE and HERE.  Thank you to Vladimir Polivanov (aka VO) for getting there at 7AM to help me set up, and helping out wherever necessary throughout the day.  Thank you to Peter and Gail Martin for being ready, willing, and able to help with anything at any time, and assisting our Grill Masters all afternoon.  Special shout out to Gail for helping to keep our little VA safe and happy too!  Thank you to my beloved Melody for helping with all of the preparations (of which there were many), and for all of her service in spite of only having half of a voice.  Thank you to everyone who chose to support this event and TPFR by making a tax-deductible donation to the club either before, during, or after the SPEY CLAVE.  And thank you to EVERYONE who came out on Easter weekend to help us make history in our region by creating the FIRST EVER D.C. SPEY CLAVE!!!!!

Thank you also to THE ORVIS COMPANY for providing a full selection of two-handed rods in support of our event.  AND AN EXTRA BIG THANK YOU goes out to Eric Reed and Jeff Iadonisi of Beulah Fly Rods who traveled ALL THE WAY FROM MASSACHUSETTS through holiday traffic and severe weather just to be at our event and help make it the success that it was.  I have been talking to Eric for the past two years about creating this clave, and he has been a the biggest supporter of the idea since its inception.  Please take the time to extend your appreciation to for all of his time, expense, and effort.  You can contact him HERE.

Thanks again to everyone at TPFR for making these events and this club such a tremendous resource to ALL fly anglers in our area and abroad.  We truly have something special here.

Dan Davala
IMG_4556.jpg
IMG_4610.jpg
IMG_4544.jpg
IMG_4552.jpg
IMG_4555.jpg
IMG_4559.jpg
IMG_4585.jpg
IMG_4586.jpg
IMG_4599.jpg
IMG_4608.jpg

Daniel Davala

Apr 26, 2011, 8:55:38 AM4/26/11
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
A few more pictures!

Dan

IMG_4612.jpg
IMG_4614.jpg
IMG_4625 crop.jpg
IMG_4629.jpg
IMG_4636.jpg
IMG_4639.jpg
IMG_4649.jpg
IMG_4654.jpg
IMG_4656.jpg

john bilotta

Apr 26, 2011, 9:54:14 AM4/26/11
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com

Outstanding.  Sorry I missed it and looking forward to our next one.

John