Shad Fly Size, Patterns and Colors?

Rich

Jan 24, 2010, 5:25:08 PM1/24/10
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I'm also trying to figure out what kind of flies I need to start
accumulating for the shad run.

What patterns work for our shad? Can you tell me what Size, Patterns
and Colors our shad like? I've been told that shad in other parts of
the country are "trash fish" ... bait fishermen call them "bait fish"
and they will NOT chase a fly or any other bait. But apparently
that's not the case with our shad?

Sorry for the newbie questions. I just can't wait to get out on the
river and I'm trying to accelerate the learning curve!

In fact, if you wouldn't mind telling me what size, patterns, and
colors for all the fish in our Potomac fishery and other local
streams, that would be fantastic!

Thanks so much for your time!
Rich

obassociates

Jan 24, 2010, 7:40:33 PM1/24/10
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com

Rich

I have caught most of my shad on a size #4 or 6 size weighted fly. Colors
that have worked for me are a white body with some chartreuse, red or
orange. I have also used my bonefish flies and caught shad. The issue hasn't
been the fly as much as getting the fly down in the water column to the
right level. I usually use a weighted fly line, and a fairly short leader.
Most of my takes are on the swing, and some are as I retrieve after the hang
down.

Hope that helps a little
John Bilotta

Rich

Jan 24, 2010, 8:21:01 PM1/24/10
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Thanks so much John. Is it a streamer? Any chance you can post pics
of the flies you like, provided it's not too much trouble? Best
regards, Rich

Ernie

Jan 24, 2010, 8:50:08 PM1/24/10
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Rich,

Check out this link...it will help a lot! http://nsflyfishing.com/shadflies.html

Ernie

Bob Mills

Jan 24, 2010, 10:40:44 PM1/24/10
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Rich-

I assume the link will explain it more detail, but an important fact to understand is that shad do not actually eat flies out of hunger or feeding habit.  They actually do not eat during their spawning run, similar to salmon.  Their biting of flies is believed to be an instinctive and probably defensive reaction to a foreign object in their area.  Kind of a "get out of here" defensive snap.  Because of this non-food dynamic, there is no match the hatch mentality and flies do not mimic any type of actual forage, but really only need to get down to the correct depth and be visible to the fish.  Since the Potomac has some swift currents most of my flies are small clouser-style streamers or something small but with some weight.  Most fishermen will carry a variety of colors to be able to adjust for different light and water conditions, and because at times some colors will seem to work better than others for whatever reason, but there are really no standby colors.  I tie a lot of chartreuse and yellow just so they standout on the riverbed against all the natural color tones.  You can also throw on some rubber silli legs as an attention-getter.
There are many types of shad, they live in saltwater and fresh and in most lake systems they are towards the bottom of the food chain, so to call them a "baitfish" is not inaccurate.  They are oily and not the best fish to eat, and also are not particularly impressive either in size or appearance, so I'm not surprised some people aren't too fond of them.  But the fact is they are here in our backyard evry year, you can catch them, they put up a decent fight and it's fun to fish for them, so ignore the haters and fish if you want to.  Also in DC there is a long heritage of local Washingtonians fishing for shad going back to the beginning of our country and even congressmen are down at Fletchers fishing during the run, so there's sentimental value in that element.  They tossed nets and pulled thousands of them out of the Potomac during the civil war to feed troops and nearly drove them to instinction, so their recovery as a species is somewhat admirable.  I have a good book by Boyd Pfeiffer simply titled "Shad Fishing" which I'd recommend to anyone looking to learn more.  It covers history, anatomy, fly and spin tackle and techniques, regional considerations, etc.

Bob

Rich

Jan 27, 2010, 7:45:14 PM1/27/10
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Thank you all very much for taking time to respond to my questions! I
really do appreciate your time and effort!

Ernie, great site! And Bob, wonderfully detailed post. I'm looking
forward to the run!

Hope to see you guys out there!

Rich